Passwords.

• Dear Funimation,

I wanted to let you know, as a long time fan and customer of your work and the work you bring to us, I was extremely disappointed in the passwords system you have in place. Specifically the part about how it will not allow special characters.

Now I greatly appreciate the lack of restrictions on passwords, specifically not requiring any type of special characters or the use of capitals. But the restriction on special characters does nothing but I would think frustrate people, in this case me, as I can't truly speak for anyone else. Especially those who use a system for their passwords, a system I have to break, specifically for this website.

A few misconceptions about passwords is what truly makes them secure, and while a symbol or number only makes them a hair more secure, i disappointingly find myself being required to use one on many websites. While the most tested and true method of security, the longer the password, the better it is exponentially, is left ignored.

However, being required to use one on many websites, many people use symbols and numbers in every password they enter now, out of pure habit if anything else. Being required to not use a symbol is completely alien to me, and I'd be a much happier customer signing in using my usual system.

Thanks for taking the time to read my opinion, and keep doing the wonderful things you guys and girls do!

~ Firefox

P.S. Thank whoever added the auto-save for this, you saved me re-typing the ENTIRE wall of text here. Would of been painful.

• We would definitely like to allow for more complex passwords in the system, both for convenience and security reasons. We're working on allowing this– however, while the user only sees a single sign on box, there are a number of systems that are all having to work together to allow a (hopefully!) seamless funimation.com experience.

All passwords have to fit the requirements of ALL of these systems, so password management and security can be difficult to alter beyond what we've already set. We ARE looking into it, however. :)

• Thanks for replying CJ!

Love funimations work, I know how complicated coding can be behind the scenes so I certainly understand, but password requirements have always been a bit of a peeve personally. Glad to see it is being thought of. ^_^

~ Firefox

• I think I came across some issues with one of the apps not accepting special characters, and my password had either gotten around that restriction somehow, or was created before that was a known problem. Or that could have been a completely different piece of software, I think it's happened to me a couple times.

I would like to see special characters back on the allowable list, mainly because it's annoying changing my password generator settings back and forth.

• @CJ:

We would definitely like to allow for more complex passwords in the system, both for convenience and security reasons. We're working on allowing this– however, while the user only sees a single sign on box, there are a number of systems that are all having to work together to allow a (hopefully!) seamless funimation.com experience.

All passwords have to fit the requirements of ALL of these systems, so password management and security can be difficult to alter beyond what we've already set. We ARE looking into it, however. :)

It's terrifying that this is still not changed.

• It will be in May.

• … to be fair... someone hacking your Funimation account is an extremely low risk situation… they won't be able to do much other then spam use your account and forums.

If you had a credit card saved maybe that could be a problem, alas as long as you are paying attention, it is all rather low-risk. So I wouldn't worry about account security that much to be honest...

• Even if you did have your credit card saved in your account, the site itself does not store any of that information.

We still will be requiring stronger passwords, though, of course.

• @Sophie:

Even if you did have your credit card saved in your account, the site itself does not store any of that information

Yes I don't mean that they will get your number… rather they used the saved card to buy stuff on Funimation with...

...for instance extending your sub by changing the sub timer, or buying merch/dvds. They won't have the underlying card, but have access to the account to order. Again all a rather low-probability thing... given that it isn't very profitable to steal an account (the stolen goods have little/no resell profitably).

Of course... doesn't stop people from causing problems therefore nonetheless. In either case I am confident that the current system is secure enough for what is done here so I am not personally worried therefore.