Episode 13?

• I'm looking for ep 13 on the elite streaming page and I do not see it. When is that going up on the site? Considering the unique ituation with this show, this site is the only way to see that ep.

Thanks.

• Funimation doesn't have EP 13 or the two OVAs. I don't think they will be getting them either since the DvD already released

• Episode 13 is on the bluray and it is dubbed. I managed to see it on a borrowed BD that one of my friends got before RightStuf stopped shipping them (nixing my preorder).

I really wish that Funimation would stream these "bonus" eps for 13 episode series regularly; they streamed We Without Wings' but not Sankarea's or Haganai's :(

• so there is an ep 13??? why does myanimelist show it as 12 ep long?

• @hellgirlfan:

so there is an ep 13??? why does myanimelist show it as 12 ep long?

Technically it is another OVA, but it's been released by name as the 13th episode. This episode was included in the BD/DVD Funimation release, but not the other two OVAs. I haven't seen it made available for streaming on this website yet, but I imagine it'll eventually go up for EVS members

Interestingly, episode 13 is the third OVA released, so I'm not sure why Funimation didn't get the other two as well. The first OVA is an episode 0 of sorts, and the second OVA is considered episode 14, if that makes any sense

• well that sucks, probably only chance of getting them to do those two OVAs now would be if they made a second season and of course funi got the rights to that as well, why does love with the undead have to be so awkward?

• There's a followup to 13?!

13 was the most promising episode of the series as it gave us hope that there could be some actual action, some real conflict (since David Wald's character didn't do his part), in the show. Also gave us Jad Saxton's role in the dub (which I was wondering about since she didn't really turn up in 1-12). Does "ep 14" expand on Jad Saxton's character?

I'm not entirely sure that there was any "love" in Sankarea: Furuya didn't really want to be more than "just friends" with Rea and she doesn't want any more than that with him. She called him her "best friend". I've seen enough romantic comedies to know that being called that is the Kiss of Death for a relationship; her father was worried about nothing lol.

• @sidereal_presence:

There's a followup to 13?!
    I'm not entirely sure that there was any "love" in Sankarea: Furuya didn't really want to be more than "just friends" with Rea and she doesn't want any more than that with him. She called him her "best friend". I've seen enough romantic comedies to know that being called that is the Kiss of Death for a relationship; her father was worried about nothing lol.

come on i have seen my share of RC's too, it's a fairly common structure for love to bloom on, just the passion and dedication shown in the friendship is a great frame work (and lets not even go into his original creepy fantasy of a zombie girlfriend… though i could think of a couple inappropriate jokes i wouldn't mind throwing out there). Combine that with the "undying love" subtitle and the fact that the manga series is going strong and from what i can tell from back cover descriptors, much farther than the anime, you know the romance will blossom to possibly some creepy awkwardness (is it still necrophilia if the corpse is animate?)

• @sidereal_presence:

There's a followup to 13?!

13 was the most promising episode of the series as it gave us hope that there could be some actual action, some real conflict (since David Wald's character didn't do his part), in the show. Also gave us Jad Saxton's role in the dub (which I was wondering about since she didn't really turn up in 1-12). Does "ep 14" expand on Jad Saxton's character?

Jad Saxton isn't in Sankarea. I assume you're talking about Rea's mom though

The Rea's mom episode is actually episode 14, which was the second OVA released. Episode 13 (the third OVA, AKA the one that is dubbed and included with Funimation's BD/DVD release) is the story primarily through the eyes of Babu, as well as some post-season epilogue-ish scenes of Rea getting back into her school life and Furuya walking her to and from school. I think they're labeled out of order because that's how it was released chronologically in the manga, but don't quote me on that

Also, the first OVA was a prologue to the main season. It really is a very confusing set of extra episodes

• Jad Saxton isn't in Sankarea.

Jad Saxton totally is in Sankarea. She's the zombie hunter with the owl. The character who could have made Sankarea actually interesting if she'd appeared in episodes 1-12. Since you've seen episode 13 you know whom I'm referring to.

I still don't think that there's any hope for the relationships in Sankarea. They're all pretty tenuous and contrived, liable to fall apart easily. The Furuya "love triangle" seemed weak to me as Ranko (Marchi) was only interested in him because she (and her parents) forced herself to be. Rea was only involved with him because he was the only male peer with whom she'd ever closely interacted (sort of a "last man on Earth" deal) in her life and because she had to be due to circumstance. He wants a "zombie girlfriend" but he has no interest in carnal relations with her, nor does he actually want to do the whole "boyfriend/girlfriend" thing with her. He's more interested in studying her as an object than as a person to love. Furuya constantly wails about how little time Rea has left before she rots away, yet he's taking his sweet time in "making his move". Same for Rea, she knows that her days are numbered but she's still lackadaisical as well.

Furuya stands up at the showdown and pretty much says "Rea, girl, I'd die for you" (and he technically does). To which she responds "That's nice, you're a great friend". There's no hope there.

• I think you should try watching the series again, i did as after your first dismissal of the romantic elements to see if I was flawed in what i remembered, and i found i was… in that there were more supporting elements than i remembered especially in the last two episodes: at the end of 11 when Ranko worries over Chihiro Rae thinks to herself that Ranko loves him too, and despite the miss-labeling of this show as a harem (harem zone is only possible with at least a love quadrangle, preferably a pentagon) the only females to show interest are Ranko and Rae, so i wonder who else does Rae believe or more appropriately know loves Chihiro? Then in 12 they have a full on face to face confrontation on the fact that they do both love Chihiro and no matter what they should both not give up on him or their feelings for him.

As for contrivances of relationships when it comes to Ranko if you want to put some sort of label or archetype on why she likes him it would not be a forced "last man on earth" scenario. If I were to label it, it would be a "white knight/ damsel in distress" archetype as the two events that first created then solidified her feelings for him were the two times in their child hood that he "saved" her, and the first time was their first meeting/impression so that is a strong ingraining event of emotions especially for a young child. Then there was the time afterward where they were more forced together at first after she found out he is a creepy zombie fanatic, which of course does not usually fly well with a young girl. But once again he came to her rescue (a bit more so this time) which wound up solidifying her "brave hero" view of him and got her to appreciate his better qualities despite the zombie thing.

As for Rae and Chihiros relationship it is a very text book anime shy budding relationship at its heart (when you take out the whole zombie thing). Two youths thrown together through circumstance, finding themselves emotionally attracted to one and other but clumsy and inept one exactly how to express it and maybe even fearful of how to proceed and in the large scheme of things going the route of respect decency and awkward proximity then the route of rampant horomones and lust. Really in anime romance, emotional awkwardness, a decent level of respect and decency is usually more the driving force than "I wanna tap that", that motivation is either for comedic supporting cast or only the leads motivation in a lighter pervy comedic way in general but not towards the main heroine or even if toward the main heroine its more of a boisterous act of flirting but in the end not a main goal, as they usually show true respect and value to the object of their affections at the end of the day.

When it comes to specifics of those two both of them have emotional and philosophical impediments that restrain them from possibly pursuing a relationship. Rae of course had her F'ed up upbringing which probably stunted her ability to get close to people as she basically says she learned to fake it and hide her emotions and thought everyone else was doing the same (laughing on the outside, crying on the inside) and of course anyone she did get anywhere near getting close to got taken away by daddy. Then there is the realization that her time is limited because of her condition which im sure also holds her back. And as far as the friend comment to her dad A.) this is a restrained RC archetype as well as only the beginning of a continuing manga series, so out and out declarations of love at that point would be premature and B.) with her dad, if she said she loved him it would have definitely made the situation a whole hell of a lot worse

In Chihiro's his restraint comes more from the fact that he feels guilty and responsible for what happened to Rae both in that he made the potion (though never intended for her to drink it) and he always wished for a zombie GF but never considered what that would entail, specifically that would mean that some girl would have to die to make that fantasy come true, he did not take into account the life before hand or that he would get to know that living girl before she became undead. In summation IMO i think he might have some "buyers remorse" because even though he did not directly cause this to happen to her, his actions did lead to it and maybe he might consider that his wishing for it may have made it happen (or maybe im reading too much into it there). For certain he does feel guilty about it and is determined to save her somehow as well as trying to make her happy in the time she does have. Though he does show physical attraction to her in some of his fantasies, his playing around with some of his video logs, and his giddiness over their "zombie girlfriend" dialogs.

The best i can suggest is try and watch the series again, pay less attention to some of more negative aspects, and look for more timid and reserved love signs not the hormonal ones.

• @sidereal_presence:

Jad Saxton totally is in Sankarea. She's the zombie hunter with the owl. The character who could have made Sankarea actually interesting if she'd appeared in episodes 1-12. Since you've seen episode 13 you know whom I'm referring to.

Oh, her. There's no credit for her on MAL

The other two OVAs don't show or even reference her at all. She's a teaser to try and get people to demand a second season, which I assume isn't going to happen

I also think you're under-valuing the romance. Rea gets jealous over Ranko (albeit in the most refined, submissive way possible), and though it's been a while since I watched episode 14, I recall there being a sort of fear of being replaced by another girl from Rea's perspective

• @Riles:

The other two OVAs don't show or even reference her at all. She's a teaser to try and get people to demand a second season, which I assume isn't going to happen

Lets not go and count it out just yet, it was only released last year so its a little early to tell if there will be a sequel or not. IDK how the anime did in Japan but even if it didn't do to well there is still a possibility of a sequel if the mangas sell well which i know those are still going. I certainly am hoping for more but i guess only time will tell

• I also think you're under-valuing the romance. Rea gets jealous over Ranko (albeit in the most refined, submissive way possible), and though it's been a while since I watched episode 14, I recall there being a sort of fear of being replaced by another girl from Rea's perspective -

She was concerned about losing her quasi-monopoly on her (only) friend and care provider. When Ranko (which the English VAs had weird issues pronouncing) kept Furuya away from Rea, as she languished alone in Furuya's bedroom, Rea seemed more upset that she was left alone than anything else. She wasn't fretting about becoming what Monica Rial calls "the useless Numero Due" (Campione!), she was more worried about taking a shower and killing time. Even when Ranko and Rea decided to "compete" for Furuya it seemed rather half-hearted and contrived; it wasn't like the (literal) dueling between characters in Cat Planet Cuties. I guess it can only feel forced when one girl is forcing herself to be interested in a dude and the other has little interest in him…and the dude has no real interest in either. Then again, due to The Rules of Harem Anime it is hard to tell what a male lead's interests are.

After Furuya literally died for her there was no romantic spark between them, they were still "just friends". Furuya demonstrated the ultimate level of "the big C"-commitment-and Rea was like "whatevs, bff?". Tragically, Furuya accepted that. Rea gets to live a responsibility and restriction-free life, on Furuya's dime, and Furuya gets to have a pet zombie whom he gets to study...and they're both content with that. I think that the only person who thought that Rea and Furuya could ever be "more than friends" is Rea's father (and only because I don't think he could comprehend someone not having a carnal desire for his daughter due to his, ah, illness).

A second season, featuring "Jad Saxton: Zombie Slayer", would definitely help this show out. Honestly, the first season should have been "Dismuke & Ballard vs Saxton", the zombie maker and the zombie struggling to survive against the slayer of the undead, and then any subsequent seasons could have been devoted to romance/harem. It wouldn't have been the first show to have deviated from the base work and been better for it.

• I thought it was pretty obvious that she was jealous when she wondered specifically if Furuya had a girlfriend. That moment, she felt threatened, not lonely

As for Ranko's pronunciation, I can only recall them using the short A pronunciation that's used in words like brawn. Are you talking about the nickname Chihiro gives her, Wanko (which means mutt or doggy in romaji)

EDIT: I don't remember exactly, but I believe they altered her pronunciation from the Japanese from a long A to a short A in English, and I'm pretty sure it was consistent throughout

• @Riles:

Technically it is another OVA, but it's been released by name as the 13th episode. This episode was included in the BD/DVD Funimation release, but not the other two OVAs. I haven't seen it made available for streaming on this website yet, but I imagine it'll eventually go up for EVS members

Presto!- http://www.funimation.com/shows/sankarea/videos/official/it-too-am-a-zombie/anime

• I just finished the series and wanted to say how much I loved it. The constant tension of Rea's "condition", what it means for her, and what it could do to her, as well as the omni-present knowledge of her limited time was executed so well. I felt Rea and Furuya's relationship was played perfectly.

I personally feel his efforts both to give her a normal life and keep her going as long as possible show his love for her. Rea's faith and absolute trust in Furuya as well as her concern for him shows she loves him as well. However, she knows she may not be around for long and with that comes a fear of hurting him should they get close. Her goal appears to be an "after-life" with no regrets and I believe she would deeply regret having a closer relationship with Furuya as things stand. Now if something happened and suddenly that fear that her body could stop working at any moment were taken away I believe she would be willing to act on her feelings more openly.

• @sidereal_presence:

Jad
    I still don't think that there's any hope for the relationships in Sankarea. They're all pretty tenuous and contrived, liable to fall apart easily. The Furuya "love triangle" seemed weak to me as Ranko (Marchi) was only interested in him because she (and her parents) forced herself to be. Rea was only involved with him because he was the only male peer with whom she'd ever closely interacted (sort of a "last man on Earth" deal) in her life and because she had to be due to circumstance. He wants a "zombie girlfriend" but he has no interest in carnal relations with her, nor does he actually want to do the whole "boyfriend/girlfriend" thing with her. He's more interested in studying her as an object than as a person to love. Furuya constantly wails about how little time Rea has left before she rots away, yet he's taking his sweet time in "making his move". Same for Rea, she knows that her days are numbered but she's still lackadaisical as well.

Furuya stands up at the showdown and pretty much says "Rea, girl, I'd die for you" (and he technically does). To which she responds "That's nice, you're a great friend". There's no hope there.

Ehh, I feel like the idea of getting in a relationship with someone who could die in a matter of weeks/months would probably be a bad emotional choice. They make it pretty clear from early on that the characters do have some feelings for each other, Rea even flat out says that "Ranko also loves him". Maybe it's fairly weak as a romance point, but for a show like this, it doesn't really seem like it needs much more. She was interested in Furuya's hobbies, and began to like him, he even did notice her…or at least parts of her, while they were trying to bring Babu back to life, even though he has "no interest in living girls". It seems more like it's going for a "fix the problems first, explore our feelings later" approach.

I'm not gonna say it's great, but it makes for a good enough show and leaves potential for a romance post the whole 'how to stop decomposition' plot. I feel like it'll get there eventually, though, the show would need to pick up the pace, it barely got through 2 volumes of the manga, and get some actual progression going. That said, the daily life of a zombie has been fun to watch, so I'll take more any day