Region blocking

• Can someone please explain to me why some titles are only Region A and not Region A and B?

I live in a Region B area and I am aware that it isn't FUNimation's purpose (hopefully yet) to sell their products outside the US and Canadian border. Before I buy products from online retailers (all except the FUNimation store because FUNi only sells their products from their store to North American buyers), I do my homework on FUNimation's store and see if the show/movie I want to buy is Region B applicable. I can understand that it is FUNimation's ground rule to only try and sell their products to Region A buyers (USA and Canada), otherwise MangaUK and Madman Entertainment (Both Region b) would go out of business. Most recently I bought Attack on Titan Part 1 (Region A only) from an online retailer and it is blocked on my BluRay/DVD Player (mistake from my part), however I also bought the official Evangelion 1.11 Blu-Ray (Region A and b) copy and it works like a charm. It's an awesome movie! Besides, I looked on FUNi's store and I saw the show called Space Dandy is being released and is applicable to Region A and b buyers. My question is, what are the ground rules?

• Different titles have different licensing restrictions. Unfortunately, as of now there's really no be-all-end-all method of telling which titles fall under which.

The best suggestion I can offer you is to check with the guys over at the Fandom Post forums. They tend to get very technical over there, so they should be able to let you know which titles are multi-region and which ones aren't. :)

• @SpacemanHardy Makes sense. But going deeper into the research, I noticed that the Fairy Part 1-10 as well the movie Blu-Ray releases are both Region A and B. However, as of Part 11 to maybe 15 are only applicable to Region A buyers. Why stop the consistency?

• @Sharksmart1:

@SpacemanHardy Makes sense. But going deeper into the research, I noticed that the Fairy Part 1-10 as well the movie Blu-Ray releases are both Region A and B. However, as of Part 11 to maybe 15 are only applicable to Region A buyers. Why stop the consistency?

It could have been a change in contractual terms. For long running shows like Fairy Tale, episodes are licensed in chunks, instead of all at once. The contracts for the episodes on 1-10 may have allowed for multiple BD regions, but that could have changed when FUNi licensed the episodes from Part 11 onwards.

Region-free Blu-ray players are fairly reasonably priced, and should not be hard to come by. With one of those, you'll be able to watch most Region A discs (so long as they aren't geo-locked, which isn't common [yet?]), too, and I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for owning one, so legally, you should be fine.