**Do NOT Request More Case Closed**

• Recently, there has been a sudden influx of requests from users for FUNimation to dub and release more episodes of Case Closed (Detective Conan). While it's great that there seems to be a revived interest in the show, it's time for everyone to face the facts: FUNIMATION IS COMPLETELY DONE WITH CASE CLOSED.

That's right: done. Finished. Finito. They have absolutely no plans to ever start dubbing and releasing any episodes from after season 5. Why, you ask? Well, almost 6 years ago, user "matthewlow" got a chance to ask FUNimation product manager Adam Sheehan in person, and asked him about the status of Case Closed. Below is the response he posted on the old FUNimation forums so long ago:

@matthewlow:

As to do all of you guys a favor who told me to ask, while I was volunteering at the Funimation booth at San Diego Comic-Con, I asked Adam Sheehan what the "real story behind the status of Case Closed" is. Oh, and Sheehan gave me his blessing to post this.

First off, Sheehan mentioned that this has been told many times before, from the ANN Cast to AnimeExpo (though probably not as extensive as he told me). He said he's answered this question over and over, but people are just not facing reality. FACE IT. Funimation is done with Conan as a TV series. There are no plans whatsoever to license more of the Conan TV series. It just isn't going to happen with Funimation.

Conan has been given THREE lives, and has failed them all miserably.
    Life ONE: Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, and single DVDs. Single DVDs (3 episodes) with Conan were a miserable failure, and in hindsight that's completely obvious for a series that had around 500 episodes (at the time). Coupled with it being a kids show on Adult Swim at 5:30 am (at some times), it was just not a good fit. (Though I did meet a kid whose mom told me at the Funi booth that her son would wake up at 5:30 just to watch Conan. You rock!)
    Life ONE and a half: Case 1 and 2/3 were released with 6 episodes each (outside of 1.1). This didn't work either.
    Life TWO: Season sets with 25-27 episodes. This also failed.
    Life THREE: Viridian season sets. This also failed.

Failed as in meet expectations. The licensing fees and marketing money put into Conan were a lot, and the sales in return didn't come close to meeting expectations (and likely recur costs). Sheehan could not give me numbers, but let's just say they were bad. Conan has a TON of rabid fans, but there aren't enough casual fans (e.g. Kenichi) that push sales along. And you have to consider that many of the "fans" don't even buy the DVDs.

So how about the movies? Life FOUR? The movies sold well, according to Sheehan. Funimation may go after movies, for the sheer reason that the story is in the box and there's not as much backstory you NEED to keep going. Movies overall sell better than a series, especially a long running one.

So how about a simulcast? Not going to happen. Funimation wants to simulcast series that start at the beginning. Getting series in the middle are not likely, and One Piece only happened because it was actually Toei's idea.

So how about the Lupin vs Conan special? Specials are an option, notably this one since it has two fan bases to fuel sales.

Sheehan ranked it in terms of importance: Movies on top, right below are specials, and all the way on the bottom is the TV series.

I asked, "If the movies sell well, could that give birth to the series continuing?" Never say never in that case, but there would need to be a 10 TIMES sales increase (i.e. yeah right) for that to happen.

Sheehan summed it up with saying that the best hope for Conan is for the license to run out (and he could not tell me when that would be), and a smaller company with less overhead to pick it up (likely for subbed release). Section 23, NIS, and Nozomi were mentioned. He also mentioned that just like the Lupin license where ADV got the series and Funi had the movies that they could do the movies and have another company continue the series.

Thus, the case is closed on the Case Closed TV series. Stop this nonsense. It isn't going to happen.

Oh, and to top it off, I even asked Gen Fukunaga (as a joke, saying it half laughing). He, along with the entire Funi crew he was with (Adam Zaner, et. al.), laughed with me. "We wish."

So yeah. That's all she wrote. FUNimation is officially done with Case Closed. At this point, considering it's been years since this post, I'd say it's safe to assume that even the movies and TV specials are off limits to us now.

So with all of this in mind, PLEASE stop begging FUNimation to dub more seasons. It's not going to happen. All it does is create more and more clutter on the forums to be cleaned up.

I'm sorry things have turned out this way, Conan fans, but sometimes, them's the breaks. :hmm:

• It's never a good idea to treat a statement that's six years old as gospel in the licensing world. The resurgence of the show on Crunchyroll is proof enough that people are more interested in it now than they were six years ago

You are definitely taking a statement made in 2008 too literally. Stop closing all those threads

• ^ Okay then. How about a tweet directly from Adam that he posted just this afternoon?

https://twitter.com/neumaverick/status/535130327824355330

=^_^=

• I didn't realize "no plans currently" was interchangeable with "Funimation is completely done with Case Closed"

Here's the problem with this thread. It's pre-emptively denying a series that is out there and available for license, unlike your other threads that deal with shows that don't have additional seasons. I understand the intent of a Sekirei or Rosario + Vampire thread, for example, because their season 3s don't exist, and as such, it's not up to Funimation whether or not to license it. But Conan can be licensed

Some of that interview (all of which is paraphrased and/or embellished by the writer anyway and not a direct word of mouth from Sheehan) can be rebuked in 2014. There's a claim that the show would only be picked up by someone with low overhead - someone that releases shows in sub-only formats. As of December 2013, Funimation has been experimenting with low overhead. It also says that Funimation isn't interested in simulcasting shows that don't start at the beginning, which has since been changed with the arrival of Free! season 2, as well as Minami-ke and Milky Holmes

As is the case with any company that deals heavily in licensing, markets change, so output changes. Remember a couple years ago when Funimation was supposedly no longer interested in sports shows, thanks to the failure of Big Windup? Here we are in 2014, when Funimation has licensed Free, Wanna be the Strongest, and has recently asked on Twitter which sports shows they should pursue, if any. Things change a lot, which is why his paraphrasing from "never going to happen" to "no current plans" is a huge upgrade. (That said, it shouldn't have been an upgrade in the first place, because generally in PR it is an incredibly stupid idea to speak in absolutes when working with licenses. What he should have said was "no current plans" from the beginning, would would have already made this thread irrelevant to begin with, if that recent tweet wasn't already enough. He might have actually said that in the first place, if not for the writer's embellishment and exaggeration)

At any rate, dumb thread. Things change and, like it or not, the show is most definitely available for license, so people should absolutely be given the right to ask about it

• @Riles:

At any rate, dumb thread. Things change and, like it or not, the show is most definitely available for license, so people should absolutely be given the right to ask about it

But not here. Funimation will not pick this up again. It may be available for licensing, but not by funiamtion. That is all is trying to be said. Wishing for it won't change things. Will some one else pick it up? maybe.
    If the intent by all the people asking for more, is will someone else pick it up, maybe they should be posting questions at animenewsnetwork, or something more general.
    If you want to watch streaming, check out crunchyroll.

• @bejay53:

But not here. Funimation will not pick this up again. It may be available for licensing, but not by funiamtion.

I really get the feeling you just skipped to the bottom of my post, because you seem to have disregarded a lot of direct and circumstantial evidence I just laid out that shows Funimation's plan to never re-license Conan isn't as absolute as you think

• All of these "DO NOT REQUEST…" threads are ridiculously tempting. I understand why you do it, but it's almost impossible to resist the urge to poke at y'all. Luckily, I'm pretty strong-willed... :P

• I'm never gonna stop. What you people at funi need to realize is that the show is growing more popular since last year. What really needs to happen is that you have to release season six, but for online streaming before DVD. In addition to that, not allow youtube to keep episodes (current or future) on their site without charging viewers the online streaming price to watch them. That's the reason sales are bad, because the fanbase is watching them for free on Youtube.

• Matter of fact [just proves my point. This video has 51,377 views on that, all free. The live streaming only works if you do that first before releasing on DVD. Had you people at Funi had just done that from the start and had Youtube charge $0.99 on your behalf, you would have made $50,863.23 on that episode alone. Based on that information on a 26 episode a season release, you would make $1,322,443.98 per season. See, Case Closed is very popular, you guys just haven't been marketing it properly.](just proves my point. This video has 51,377 views on that, all free. The live streaming only works if you do that first before releasing on DVD. Had you people at Funi had just done that from the start and had Youtube charge $0.99 on your behalf, you would have made $50,863.23 on that episode alone. Based on that information on a 26 episode a season release, you would make $1,322,443.98 per season. See, Case Closed is very popular, you guys just haven't been marketing it properly.)

• That's a very gross over-estimation of how profit shares on Youtube work, as well as a really strange assumption that 51,000 views on the first episode means 51,000 views on episode 26

• ….Please tell me you did NOT seriously just post a link to an illegally streamed episode on the very website of the company who owns the licensing rights to the series in question.

PLEASE tell me you are not THAT dense. -_-

• Think Funi will grab his/her/its ISP info and attempt to prosecute? Or at least get him/her/it fined?

• @paige62182:

Think Funi will grab his/her/its ISP info and attempt to prosecute? Or at least get him/her/it fined?

Nah. They have better things to do with their time.

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

….Please tell me you did NOT seriously just post a link to an illegally streamed episode on the very website of the company who owns the licensing rights to the series in question.

PLEASE tell me you are not THAT dense.

My apologies for the earlier triple post. I was trying to reply to three different people.

@Riles
    Well I never said that all episodes had that many views. I was just suggesting that based on that video that it would be an estimate. The point that I'm trying to get across is that streaming the episodes for $0.99 each, awhile after everyone's watched them for free already, was a bad business idea. They need to do the streaming first before DVD release. If they'd try that for season six. I'm 95% sure it would generate profit.

@SpacemanHardy
    You saying that it's an illegal download just proves my point that funi allows people to watch the show for free instead of charging them the $0.99 streaming fee is a very bad idea. Not to mention that fact that you allow it to continue despite the fact that I've pointed out it's existence (You're welcome). SciFi has recently done this same thing with Fact or Faked: Paranormal files. They charge $2.99 per episode to watch that show online and youtube won't allow illegal downloads. Give that a try with season six with the $0.99 per episode stream.

@Paige62182
    I'm a guy :D

• This post is deleted!

• ^Don't triple post. Edit your original post instead. -_-

• @flamrage:

@Riles
    Well I never said that all episodes had that many views. I was just suggesting that based on that video that it would be an estimate. The point that I'm trying to get across is that streaming the episodes for $0.99 each, awhile after everyone's watched them for free already, was a bad business idea. They need to do the streaming first before DVD release. If they'd try that for season six. I'm 95% sure it would generate profit.

We are trying to encourage people to purchase Case Closed and/or watch it through some legal online video service.

Not drive people away by charging for each episode they watch.

@flamrage:

@SpacemanHardy
    You saying that it's an illegal download just proves my point that funi allows people to watch the show for free instead of charging them the $0.99 streaming fee is a very bad idea. Not to mention that fact that you allow it to continue despite the fact that I've pointed out it's existence (You're welcome).

Research and explain the reason why DCTP (Detective Conan Translation Project) quit fansubbing Detective Conan episodes a few years ago, before you continue ranting on about how this company allows people to distribute illegal copies of this show?

Funimation will never be able to fully get rid of all the illegal copies of Detective Conan that various fansub groups have released to the public for free. Majority of the fans of Detective Conan that I know of, have watched DCTP releases of Detective Conan for years. Until they publicly announced that they weren't going to be fansubbing anymore episodes.

It was around July of last year that the website removed all links to illegal copies of the anime and manga from the website/forum because of the compliant they received from Viz Media.

• @s3parade:

Research and explain the reason why DCTP (Detective Conan Translation Project) quit fansubbing Detective Conan episodes a few years ago, before you continue ranting on about how this company allows people to distribute illegal copies of this show?

You just answered your own question with that statement. They stopped dubbing Detective Conan because sales were bad and the sales were bad because people kept watching the show on Youtube instead of buying the DVD or the streaming. Trust me, I want people to buy these episodes so that way Funi can make more. I also know that they can't stop all the illegal downloads, but they can at least have them removed. I want to buy more of the copies I already have to help raise sales, but if this forum keeps saying that funi is done with the show, I don't want to spend that money and have it be for not. If someone can verify that this forum is over exaggerated on the "completely done" part, I'll start buying more.

• It is over-exaggerated because the last time they said "definitely not" was like six years ago, and their most recent denial of the series was "no current plans"

Again, this thread is incredibly stupid. People aren't asking Funimation to create new seasons of a show. Let people request Case Closed

• @flamrage:

They stopped dubbing Detective Conan because sales were bad and the sales were bad because people kept watching the show on Youtube instead of buying the DVD or the streaming.

No, they stopped dubbing because people weren't watching in general. YouTube hardly had anything to do with it. Back in those days, you couldn't even upload an entire episode of a show because of the time restrictions.

Case Closed failed on Toonami, it failed in video singles, it failed in season sets, it just outright FAILED. It may have a devoted collection of fans, but it simply doesn't sell well enough to the casual crowd to justify keeping it going, especially when it's STILL going in Japan without any visible end in site.

Then again, so are Fairy Tail and One Piece, but you know what the difference is? Those shows actually SELL.

@Riles:

It is over-exaggerated because the last time they said "definitely not" was like six years ago, and their most recent denial of the series was "no current plans"

And in all six of those years (actually it's closer to seven at this point), they have done nothing - absolutely NOTHING - to show any indication whatsoever that they had any plans or intention to ever go near the series again. The last "new" release related to Case Closed was the Phantom of Baker Street movie that came out back in 2010. There are still thirteen movies after that one, and yet we haven't seen hide nor hair of any of them. You have to ask yourself: If FUNimation honestly had any intention to do anything else with the series or the films, don't you think they would've done SOMETHING by now?

Here's my theory: The reason that FUNi keeps the first 5 seasons in print is because the show might sell well enough for them to justify renewing their license for the seasons they have already. However, it probably doesn't sell well enough for them to justify them licensing, dubbing, and releasing any new seasons after that. There's a good possibility that any charges they have to pay to renew the seasons they already have costs less than the licensing fees required to pick up any future seasons, possibly due to a package deal with TMS. That could be why the S.A.V.E. editions are still in print.

But I would think, quite honestly, that the fact that Crunchyroll and NOT FUNi picked up the simulcast to both Detective Conan AND Magic Kaito would be the final nail in the coffin as far as FUNimation doing anything further with Case Closed. If they wanted it, they would've gotten it instead of Crunchy. So the obvious conclusion to come to is they didn't want it.

People are thinking way too much into this "no current plans" thing. I'm pretty sure if you asked them about any other series they had stalled out on, such as Sgt. Frog, D. Gray-man, Toriko, etc., the answer would more than likely be the same. "No current plans" is just a polite way of saying "We're done with this show" when it comes to FUNimation. Because let's be honest here: Has FUNi EVER gone back to finish ANY show they've dropped halfway? EVER?!

Granted, it's not impossible, so if I'm ever proven wrong and FUNi does eventually bring out more episodes of Case Closed, I will be the first to humble myself and apologize to all of you. Heck, I'll even make you a wager: If FUNimation ever puts out more episodes of Case Closed, I promise that I will eat my own shoe. That is how much I truly, honestly believe that it will NEVER HAPPEN.

So please, stop this foolishness. It's over. -_-