Thoughts on the cast for Free! English dub

• My thoughts are…. please re-consider the English voice actors for Rin Matsuoka and Haruka Nanase.
    Other than that, I like the choices (though Makoto's could be better)...
    Especially Rei, Rei is spot on.
    But Vic Mignogna for Rin? Really? Come on. Honestly, I'd be fine with anyone but him.
    And Haru's voice actor... it's not as if I dislike the person or his voice, I just don't see it fitting Haru.

• The only ones I'm not so sure about are Vic and Todd as Rin and Haru. Other than having doubts there's not a whole lot to say until they start posting dub clips.

I agree that Tatum was an excellent choice for Rei.

• Here's my suggestion for how Funimation can improve the cast:

• Greg Ayres as Aichiro
    • Josh Grelle as Nagase
    • Todd Haberkorn as Makoto,
    • Scott Freeman as Haruka
    • Johnny Yong Bosch as Rin

• Who was that guy that did the voice for Kaito in Robotics;Notes? I think he would've absolutely killed it as Haru

I would've also said they probably miscast Gou, but I don't know for sure if Marchi's voice can reach that high, so

• Clifford Chapin was Kaito

• @Riles:

Who was that guy that did the voice for Kaito in Robotics;Notes? I think he would've absolutely killed it as Haru

I would've also said they probably miscast Gou, but I don't know for sure if Marchi's voice can reach that high, so

Jamie Marchi is fully capable of doing high voices, she just doesn't get cast as those types of characters often. However if Gou's English voice doesn't have a high voice then that problem will be because of ADR Director Jerry Jewell for deciding how the character should sound.

Same with any of the other performances that fans might not be satisfied with

e.g. Todd not sounding stoic enough as Haruka

Vic just reusing his high-pitched Tamaki Suoh/Edward Elric voice for Rin

• @Riles:

Who was that guy that did the voice for Kaito in Robotics;Notes? I think he would've absolutely killed it as Haru

Wow, another brave soul who will admit to having seen the dub of Robotics;Notes lol.

I happen to like Vic as an actor. That said, after Karneval (where Vic had only a minor part) I'm somewhat astonished that Chris Bevins isn't in this. Everyone in that dub was excellent but if I had to pick a "MVP" from it, he'd be it.
    @trollslayer1000:

However if Gou's English voice doesn't have a high voice then that problem will be because of ADR Director Jerry Jewell for deciding how the character should sound.

IMO the English dub shouldn't be under any obligation to sound exactly like the Japanese dub. Mercifully, Funimation has something of a history of understanding that. Sentai seems to be rediscovering that from the ADV days :)