So I started this show last night…

• and I'm pretty sure it ruined my life. I had read the premise several times and didn't really like what I read. The synopsis made it sound like child prostitution and exploitation, so I just snarled my nose and moved on. Last night, I finally decided to check it out to see what all the hype was about. 2:30 AM and 15 episodes later, I'm hooked.

This is basically every female romantic/sexual fantasy in one show. There is even allusion to alternative sex like dominance/submission and bondage. It does bother me a little bit that the subjects are still children, and the character art does nothing to hide that fact. The shirtless scenes depict obviously adolescent bodies, even for the most brawny of the characters. Those are my only complaints though!

I love the characters. The boys are all obviously emotionally damaged, though I haven't really gotten enough of their back story to find out why. I wonder if we ever do. They all put on an act to try to appeal to females, but it's really a ruse to hide their own insecurities and brokenness. I find Kyoya and the twins the most attractive. Kyoya was no surprise, as I have a very definite type there. The twins, though, were a complete surprise. At this point it's unclear whether the twincest is a calculated act for the sake of the club, or if it's fact. Whatever the case, the idea of two gorgeous men just does it for me, apparently. Mori would be pretty high on my list if he said more than 3 words per episode.

The voice acting is superb! It's like they did a checklist of my favorites. The only ones missing are Josh Grelle and Robert McCollum. So, yeah… This show is pretty awesome, despite several factors that make me uncomfortable.

• Finished it last night. I'm completely in love with this show. I knew the boys were all damaged, but I didn't realize how truly broken they are. The only ones who had something resembling a happy childhood were Honey and Mori, and they're very nearly as co-dependent as the twins. The twins' and Kyoya's stories broke my heart. Tamaki's was surprising, but not as bad as theirs. He at least had a loving mother.

The boys only find value in themselves based on their looks and the show they put on to make others happy, which is a horribly sad way to live. Haruhi, even though by their standards is poor, has a much healthier and happier life than these wealthy, privileged boys.

• I've always really liked that the show, which is really kind of ice cream and fluff, in one respect, also has this really deep, actually pretty dark underbelly.

I feel like that was particularly true in the episodes where we see "normal" outsiders and their relationships with the club, like Nekozawa and the guy that falls for Haruhi thinking she's a boy. It's rare to find a girl's show that does that.

May I suggest Kamisama Kiss next, if you haven't already seen it. It's a very different show, but it continues the trend of having surprising depth underneath a candy-coated exterior.

• I've got to force myself to give up leisure activities until after this week (thank you, research paper), but I will be getting the manga for Ouran later since I really want more character development. After that, I'll definitely check out your suggestion!

• If you liked Ouran, you should try out Fruits Basket as well.

Be forewarned though. The feels. They WILL get you.

• Cool. I'll check that one too. I had plenty of feels with this show, though. Especially, Hikaru and Kaoru.

• @CJ:

May I suggest Kamisama Kiss next, if you haven't already seen it. It's a very different show, but it continues the trend of having surprising depth underneath a candy-coated exterior.

Thanks for this recommendation! I watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly!