What does everyone think about Broadcast Dubs?

• I personally love it. Laughing Under the Clouds is much better than I anticipated and Psycho Pass 2 is awesome.

Speaking of Psycho Pass 2, who do you guys think is Sho Hinakawa? Most people are saying Joel McDonald (myself included) but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was Jerry Jewell. I mean, the hint is vague and Sho literally only says one word (he yells "stop") followed by a grunting sound. I had to rehear that part of the episode several times and I still can't guarantee it's Joel.

Kamui is definitely Clifford Chapin though. The Pokemon master hint didn't help but the Robotics;Notes hint was a dead giveaway. If it wasnt for that hint I would've kept Micah Solusod as my answer, as Kamui only spoke around 3 words give or take.

If it is Joel, then I would probably win lol, since I was first to say all four correctly. If not, congrats on the person to pick Jerry. I doubt it's Zach Bolton though.

• I have no clue about the voice actors for the new characters, but I'm really loving both shows!! Josh Grelle is probably on my top 5 list of favorite voice actors.

• I haven't watched Psycho Pass S2 yet but the broadcast dub sounds like a very great idea. If they were to do an anime I'm really looking forward to then I'll definitely look into it but so far, from who I heard it from, it's great.

• I love the idea of the broadcast dubs, but im scared chitless with having to do a subscription with them. Every time I turn around I hear many other people having issues with either their EVS subscription or their purchase from the funi shop and at the rate of funimation speed for resolving issues with the trouble ticket just freaking blows. My 1st trouble ticket took them 2 months to reply to get a answer of "We dont know and you'll just have to pray that maybe one of our updates works for you", and another 6-8 months to actual do something/fix it. Also when they did fix the issue, they never bothered to send a reply that it would work now.

I also did other trouble tickets as well about other things and it was like I got the robot reply and nothing more even with basic questions.

In fact on the 28th or 29th of last month (October) I put a trouble ticket in, asking about some basic info about the broadcast dubs and got the usual robot reply and nothing since. They dont have enough people working customer service and theres no phone # to call to ask question or get support. Im sorry, but in my eyes they got like 0 customer service. I feel like they got a 56k modem internet speed, taking months for a simple yes, no answer. So my bottom line here is while I love the idea of the broadcast dubs, I refuse to get a subscription till funi will at least answer my basic questions and get some actual tech/communication support. Till then the broadcast dubs are a failer on funis end till they can get some communication skills with their customers.

• @yuki_narukami:

If they were to do an anime I'm really looking forward to then I'll definitely look into it but so far, from who I heard it from, it's great.

There's just one small problem with this approach. If we don't watch the experimental release they've given us, they'll assume it's a bust, and we won't get any more.

• @cloudkicker - I'll have more information in the Haven't Heard From Support thread, don't want to overlap here, but you had an issue unique to you. The reason why we were unable to assist you was because we were unable to reproduce the issue. When we did figure out a solution that would allow you to make purchases in our store, despite running on a set-up that is not actually supported by us for store purchases, you declined to use our services in that regard.

We did not let you know the issue was resolved because since you were the only person to experience the issue you described, we had no idea it would be fixed for you.

We're glad that it was, though! I'll have additional information about your current issue in the Haven't Heard From Support thread.

• @CJ:

you had an issue unique to you. The reason why we were unable to assist you was because we were unable to reproduce the issue. When we did figure out a solution that would allow you to make purchases in our store, despite running on a set-up that is not actually supported by us for store purchases, you declined to use our services in that regard.

• My favorite part is that the Shop team literally went out of their way to set up a way to purchase stuff from the store for just one individual that was having a computer issue, and he said 'nah. I ain't doing that.' That's the most ridiculous part to me, to waste all that manpower that was solely used to help just one person. I assume he told them to set up a phone service to order his shop purchases instead

• Honestly, the sheer volume of complaints on the forums is staggering. Most of the complainers are pretty rude, too. I swear, the support staff at Funimation are saints. I work in the service industry, so I know how it is.

• I think Broadcast Dubs are a risk, but it's a risk worth taking.

• I appreciate the initiative. My only gripe with this is that neither show really appeals to me so I'm in a bit of a bind when it comes to showing my support for it.

The Laughing under the Clouds dub is pretty good and makes the show vastly more watchable for me than did the sub so, solely in support of the Broadcast Dubs initiative, I'm watching "Samurai Karneval" lol.

• @Riles:

My favorite part is that the Shop team literally went out of their way to set up a way to purchase stuff from the store for just one individual that was having a computer issue, and he said 'nah. I ain't doing that.' That's the most ridiculous part to me, to waste all that manpower that was solely used to help just one person. I assume he told them to set up a phone service to order his shop purchases instead

Riles - The site and the shop from day one have had tons of problems for everyone and not just for me. But my issues were more Redonkulous then others . I did everything on my end, from putting in trouble ticket, waiting patiently (even though it was going on months), giving them information, clearing the basic cookies/temp internet files/passwords/history/form data/etc, installing a screen shot program recommended by the funi tech that F-ed up my pc for months to get them screen shots, paying professionals to give it a go, trying random forum suggestions, EXCEPT BUY NEW COMPUTER and GET ON A PLANE AND KNOCK ON FUNIMATIONS DOOR AND HAND THEM MY PC. I did however go down to my local pc stores and try to bring up the funi shop and it was hit and go. There were however many other people having similar issues at the start of the launch date and I know it for a fact, because I seen them posting on the funimation facebook from time to time and I also still have the email from the funi tech saying there were others with the same problem (In fact I have all the funimation emails from day one, which aint too many). Now im sure some were able to solve the issue with new browsers, new pcs, upgrades, and the rest probably just gave up after having to wait months and months for answers like No idea, just wait, were doing upgrades, try logging in and out, change password, etc. I was probably the only 1 that didnt give up and was still trying to get the issue fixed.
    Now I was only consistantly trying to solve the problem, becuase I was thinking 2 things - 1. buying directly supports the type of animes I like in the format I wanted to purchase. and 2. That some day in the future funimation maybe doing exclusive products in the future . I did give up on the shop working after about 3 or 4 months, because I thought to myself "No Way Would Funimation try to do any type of Exclusive When There are so many Issues with thier Shop". But I was Wrong, It was like a month later and AOT Exclusive was announced. So yeah I really wanted it! So I put in several more trouble tickets and ended up waiting months again for replys and some of my tickets I got no replys. I ended up getting some answers from the person working on funi help facebook and either cj or sophie in the forums, and Not in my email from the trouble ticket support team ever. Guess they went MIA. As I recall months went by and I finally caved into get rightstufs LE because I was worried about limited #s and lossing out on that too. Now I couldve probably canceled the order or sent it back, but I didnt have any TIME to do that. But at that time on the facebook page there were literally daily complaints about the shop problems in terms of getting charged 2times or more, shipping issues, etc. You know what Im talking about. About that time they found a half azz solution that wasnt going to work for me anyways. Thier plan was to put the item in my check out box and have me on my end go right to check out to pay. So I decided to see if I could get the check out page up even though there was nothing in my car, because I couldnt remember if I could. Guess what, NO WORK. I got a screen with a picture of a onion saying Opps, try again later.
    So yes riles, they went out of thier way for me, but there was still no SOLUTION. So I gave up on a resolution after that. Cause it was close to like 6 months or better of writting and complaining with hearing people like yourself, who tried to help and then turned into a mighty big azz. But randomly after 8-9 months, when the entire site gave everyone the bird and was not a site upgrade, the shop started working for me out of nowhere. I checked the site every couple days and nothing has changed on my end. Regardless though riles, they shouldve never started doing exclusvies till the shop was working correctly for everyone. On top of they couldve had a 2nd way to order through them weather in the mail or by phone. I couldve easily written 10 times more about the bs I went through. This was not a good experince for me! If this wasnt a reason to be somewhat P/Oed, I dont know what is then.

• that's one mighty wall of text. best of luck to anyone who attempts to scale that beast

• @Getchman:

that's one mighty wall of text. best of luck to anyone who attempts to scale that beast

TL;DR: I tried to use the Funi store but it didn't work, got angry when they offered an exclusive special edition, other people have had similar issues.

What really happened: Cloudkicker has a very weird (fubar) PC set up that is not compatible nor supported by Funimation Shop, he spammed the hell out of trouble ticket system for this and other weird issues and was answered within an acceptable time frame. He was told at the start, and all subsequent times that he would need to do certain things to use the Funimation shop, which he did not do because they may hurt his PC.
    Funimation went above and beyond to get everything fixed for him, but Cloudkicker was angry since what he really wanted Funimation to do was offer a mail in check/cash system which is easily scammed (and in reality, what this whole story sounds like to me).

• I think Funimation has the potential to become something great. It's just these problems are kicking Funi's ass right now. I've never had any problems with Funimation like other users, thank God, but if these problems get resolved then Funi can hopefully/probably have a chance of becoming something great.

• stock - Its maybe a 4 or 5 year old hp desktop pc that was purchased at best buy that had all the latest and greatest inside at the time. The only thing they wanted me to do was try useing a different browser, which I did with my other computer. But regardless thier shop wouldnt work on my other computer which is also a hp about same age on it as well but with a different browser (chrome). Yeah, I suppose posting something about trying to get thier site shop to work after being ignored for so long must be spam after waiting months (Not Acceptable Time Frame) for replys that I never got. I was very open to trying to make something work, money order, sending them cash, calling in a phone order, or ordering it through rightstuf.com. I mean i order things from 100s of other sites without problems and funis brand new site was the only one that wouldnt work for me. Do you hear yourself stock? I did everything except get on a plane and knock on thier door to try to purchase it. I was extremely frustrated because how the heck am I suppose to order a online exclusive that only has one way to purchase and its through the broken site that wasnt working for me. It would be one thing if there was a different outlet for me to go through or maybe a different way to order it that didnt rely on funimations site, but there wasnt. In reality to me, I still dont know why the heck your up in my buisness, find someone else butt to park your nose in! Please! ? !

Regardless, The shop is working for me now.

• Cloudkicker, I know you're upset about your situation, but this is not the right topic to post it in. Please try to keep the subject on the topic of broadcast dubs from now on. Any further deviation will be deleted without exception.

• Is the quality of the voice dub on par with season one for Psycho Pass? I know Funimation is legendary for the quality of its dubs, but we are talking a process that takes anywhere from a year to two years streamlines to a month or so.

• haven't gotten to the second ep yet, but ep 1 did sound as good as season 1 did

• I'm pretty sure most of the year-long process of releasing a dub is primarily the pressing and printing of the discs, as well as waiting for the embargo to lift, so it's pretty difficult to tell just how long the scripting and voice recording process actually takes

On one hand, the writers and casters don't have the luxury of knowing the full scope of the series in advance, so there's always the possibility for errors in script interpretation and casting. On the other hand, since each episode is spread out instead of bundled as a whole, more scrutiny can be placed on individual episodes. Each episode has a four week turnaround between each language airing, so at most, only four episodes are being worked on at a time

At any rate, even if mistakes are made or something seems flat, it's theoretically possible to re-record a line or rewrite some dialogue long before the physical release goes on sale

• I haven't noticed any quality issues. The cast is spectacular. I don't really think the dub recording process takes all that long. The tech aspect of it would take the longest, but it's totally doable within the time frame they're working with.

I feel like I need to watch Laughing Under the Clouds again. The script didn't totally make sense to me for this episode, but I'm in the midst of crunch time juggling school projects and work, so it could just be my brain refusing to cooperate.