What are the odds we will see our own Fullmetal Alchemist BluRay release?

• Just came out in Japan and I was curious as to if there's a chance we will see the same at some point in the near-ish future.

• It all depends on whether Aniplex of America wants to put it out themselves or not. If they do, expect to pay several hundreds just to own the whole thing.

That's a worst-case scenario, though. FMA is one of FUNimation's flagship titles, so I think they'll fight for it. They've already proven with Black Butler season 3 that they can in fact get their hands on an Aniplex title if they want it badly enough.

• This post is deleted!

• @SpacemanHardy:

It all depends on whether Aniplex of America wants to put it out themselves or not. If they do, expect to pay several hundreds just to own the whole thing.

That's a worst-case scenario, though. FMA is one of FUNimation's flagship titles, so I think they'll fight for it. They've already proven with Black Butler season 3 that they can in fact get their hands on an Aniplex title if they want it badly enough.

Yeah… I think getting it from FUNi sounds like a SLIGHTLY better deal...

Good point, I completely forgot that they picked up both of the new Black Butler things before Aniplex even said a word about them. I do hope that we can use the BB point to safely assume FUNi will be the one to deliver.

Thanks!

• @SpacemanHardy:

They've already proven with Black Butler season 3 that they can in fact get their hands on an Aniplex title if they want it badly enough.

FUNimation probably has a first refusal rights on all Black Butler seasons or OVA.

• But Aniplex of America isn't really a third party, and given how Japanese companies operate I'm pretty sure it would be a cold day in hell before they give up rights to negotiate with other companies.
    Black Butler is more a case of which nets them more money in the long run, Funimation has an established fanbase and Aniplex does want to keep friendly ties with them.
    But with the case of Full Metal? I can see it going either way, it's a well loved series like Gurren Lagann, and as seen with Baccano they don't mind releasing BD versions of stuff Funimation already released.

• Baccano was never really one of FUNi's "flagship titles", though. FMA, on the other hand, is up there in popularity with the likes of DBZ, YYH, One Piece, and Fairy Tail. It's always been and probably always will be one of their biggest sellers, and I really do think FUNi would fight to get the rights for it if they're given the chance.

That said, though, at this point I wouldn't put anything past AoA. They've pulled some truly dirty moves in the past, so no amount of trickery from them would surprise me now.