My thoughts.

• It's been so long since I've watched actual TV, it's difficult for me to wait from week to week to find out what happens next. This week's episode on Toonami was a transition scene. A break in the action, so to speak. To a binge watcher like me, it was wholly unsatisfying, but I know that all stories need these breaks. I want more, damn it!!

Overall, this show is completely awesome. The story is tightly woven; the artwork does a great job of conveying the horror as well as the moments of beauty. This show uses its fair share of gallows humor, which I love. I feel the dub is extremely well done, though I know there are some who disagree.

The Titans look like middle-aged Americans, which is a pretty clever social commentary, IMO.

There are only 3 more episodes in season 1, and there's a whole lot of story left to tell. I'm hoping we'll see a season 2. I prefer to watch dubs, so I don't know how it ends yet. I might go back and watch the sub after the dub finishes.

• You should watch the subs afterwards just to see how it goes. When I love anime to death I watch both dubs :) Eren's Titan roar is soooooo better in Japanese but other than that the English dub is awesome.

• Episode 22 was one of my favorites. Levi/Mikasa tag team. Some good moments for Levi's character that weren't in the manga that made the moment when Petra's father comes to talk to him even more brutal.

The Titans are so horrifying because they look like normal people and contrast against the more typical "pretty" anime style for the humans. For what Isayama struggles with in drawing (he's been getting better though), I can forgive him because of how he draws the Titans.

• Well I think that particular scene was done better in the dub. Overall my opinion is Armin is better in Japanese Mikasa is the same and Levi and Eren take it up a notch in the voice acting department in English, just my opinion.

• My opinion's the opposite. Armin is a lot better in English but I prefer Eren and Levi in Japanese. Mikasa is the same for me too, though I think I might give the dub a slight edge.

• @Firefly:

Episode 22 was one of my favorites. Levi/Mikasa tag team. Some good moments for Levi's character that weren't in the manga that made the moment when Petra's father comes to talk to him even more brutal.

The Titans are so horrifying because they look like normal people and contrast against the more typical "pretty" anime style for the humans. For what Isayama struggles with in drawing (he's been getting better though), I can forgive him because of how he draws the Titans.

Don't get me wrong! I loved the episode! I've just gotten used to binge-watching everything, five to ten episodes at a time, so it didn't advance the story as much as I wanted it to. Levi's skills are amazing, and yes, the interlude with Petra's father was extremely heart wrenching.

The look of the Titans can be interpreted in numerous ways. I was seeing them as a social commentary on humanity's tendency for meaningless consumption, but they can also be viewed as the darkness that lives inside all people.

• I haven't seen the sub, so I can't speak to the Japanese actors. I feel that the dub cast is a perfect ensemble. They all blend perfectly together, with no one standing out as either being much better or much worse than the others.

• @paige62182:

Don't get me wrong! I loved the episode! I've just gotten used to binge-watching everything, five to ten episodes at a time, so it didn't advance the story as much as I wanted it to. Levi's skills are amazing, and yes, the interlude with Petra's father was extremely heart wrenching.

The look of the Titans can be interpreted in numerous ways. I was seeing them as a social commentary on humanity's tendency for meaningless consumption, but they can also be viewed as the darkness that lives inside all people.

Yeah I totally get that. I watched the show as it was airing and the slow pacing got on my nerves a little because I just wanted to know what happened next (going through the same thing now with the manga). Now it's easier to just let it do it's thing, but it's still slow at points. lol

That's the fun part of this show. It can be viewed as just fun action and nothing else, but there are things that we can chew on if we want to. I agree that Titans could represent meaningless, thoughtless consumption and the impact. That's kinda their thing, for the most part. As for darkness within human hearts, that's a very good one also, especially with what happens later. They, along with the Walls, are also linked to fears and insecurities were aren't able to hide or shield ourselves from forever.

• Lessons learned: I was putzing around online at work since I'm bored, and I searched for topics on "Attack on Titan". I was reading the wikipedia entry with the character list and description of each character, and found pretty major spoilers. No more reading wikis until after I finish a show!

• I started over from the beginning last night. I had some ideas about who was responsible for certain things, even before I ran into spoilers. I was half right in my ideas, and now I see little clues from the beginning. Also, other little things that I didn't pick up on are jumping out of the screen at me. I LOVE this show!!

• Also, Sawney and Beane? Brilliant. Hilarious.

• Finally got home so I could watch last night's episode. Don't get me started on the whole Turner Broadcasting/Dish Network debacle.

The awesomeness that is Levi immediately turned me into a gibbering mass of fangirl. I'm really starting to love Jean and Armin. They've both come into their own in so many ways. Total badasses, both of them. I've always liked Mikasa because she's so strong and caring, but she doesn't get bogged down in the emotional crap. At least, not very often. I thought Eren was stronger than he's turning out to be. He's kind of a whiny bitch, and it's getting annoying. I know he has pretty good reason to whine, but Mikasa has been through way more crap than he has, and she's not a sniveling pile of snot and blood.

Anyway, awesome episode. I'm wholly in love with Mike McFarland. Almost anything he does is gold, as far as I'm concerned.

• Something that didn't really hit me until my 2nd watch o: the first scene after the title screen, where Levi's kind of babbling senselessly. When Eren comments that he's being very talkative, and Levi shoots back, "Who said I was talking to you?" It pans out and the whole mess hall is empty but for the two of them. Levi is lonely. He's not actually talking to Eren. He's talking to his dead squad members. It kind of hit me in the feels.

• Yeah, I've never been overly fond of Eren, and when I showed Titan to my parents they both disliked him as well. He has good reason to whine, but I still find it annoying, mostly because of other annoying traits stacked on top of the whining.

And just to point out, but Eren (in human form) doesn't kill a single Titan in the anime. :P

Levi was definitely thinking of his squad in that scene. The quieter moments of grief like that sometimes hit harder.

• Yeah… At first, I was all excited about his totally justified rage and determination. I thought he was going to be a badass. So far, all he's done is flail around, get rescued, and get a ton of people killed in the process. Not my idea of a hero. Honestly, Jean, Armin, and Mikasa are way more awesome than Eren, and it doesn't matter whether we're talking manga or anime.

• Eren coming back as a Titan is what killed the story for me. If he had actually died instead, not only would be have received more praise as a character, but both Armin and Mikasa would also have become better characters by avenging his death. Eren's ideals would have passed on to the both of them, but his near-psychotic behavior of wanting to slaughter all the Titans would be properly left behind. It would have felt a lot like TTGL given the similar relationships between those three and Kamina/Simon/Yoko (not to mention the idea of being trapped inside a symbolic barrier with the desire to break free) but IMO the story would have worked better.

• @7jaws7:

Eren coming back as a Titan is what killed the story for me. If he had actually died instead, not only would be have received more praise as a character, but both Armin and Mikasa would also have become better characters by avenging his death. Eren's ideals would have passed on to the both of them, but his near-psychotic behavior of wanting to slaughter all the Titans would be properly left behind.

I doubt it. Mikasa went nuts and almost killed herself (or at least wanted to die) when Armin told her that Eren was dead. There's no way Eren's ideals would've been passed on if Mikasa ended up killing herself out of anger, and the primary reason why Mikasa wasn't killed by a titan was because Eren was still alive, fighting them

At any rate, the narrative would've come to a grinding halt if Eren stayed dead. How would they find out about what titans are? What reasoning or purpose or idea would they have in trying to get to Eren's father's cellar?

• @Riles:

I doubt it. Mikasa went nuts and almost killed herself (or at least wanted to die) when Armin told her that Eren was dead. There's no way Eren's ideals would've been passed on if Mikasa ended up killing herself out of anger, and the primary reason why Mikasa wasn't killed by a titan was because Eren was still alive, fighting them

At any rate, the narrative would've come to a grinding halt if Eren stayed dead. How would they find out about what titans are? What reasoning or purpose or idea would they have in trying to get to Eren's father's cellar?

True, Mikasa was almost killed that time, however, she did end up deciding that she wanted to keep living, even without Eren. She fought back even though at that point it was pretty much futile. I doubt Eren's ideals would have passed to Mikasa and Armin, but his loss would have left a massive hole in their lives and they likely would have gone down some pretty destructive paths without him (provided Mikasa managed to survive that encounter somehow). Regardless, I think Armin is already a pretty good and under-appreciated character.

Other than that, I fully agree about the twist. Eren becoming a Titan is vital to the story. I don't personally like the twist and the Titan fights aren't that exciting, but it gave the story new places to go and a sliver of hope. Without that, humanity has no real way to advance; they can only attempt to hold their position, and personally I wouldn't find that very interesting. Wall Rose would have fallen, humanity would be nearly extinct as a result, the battle essentially lost since the moment Wall Sina gets attacked, that's it. Unless a different Titan-shifter showed up to help humanity.

If he had stayed dead I wouldn't have liked him anymore than I currently do. :P I'd just be grateful that the annoyance was gone. As I was with what happened in TTGL.

• I think Eren has great potential, and if the anime follows the manga, he will get better. Right now, he's annoying, though.

• Loved the finale. Loved, loved, loved it. And now I'm depressed, because what the heck am I going to do with myself, now?! It'll be a LONG wait til season 2 comes out, and I've already read the manga. I suppose PsychoPass 2 will have to try to fill the void.

• I just watched the episode where Eren battles

! in the forest. That ending though. Can't wait to see the next one. Oh wait, I can just hit the Next button and watch more. FUNi player FTW