If Texas got more pre-lay work?

• With the debut of Rooster Teeth's RWBY (the first cartoon have its voices recorded in Texas), the very positive fan reaction on SMITE's voice cast for having it done in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! on its way

! (Gearbox Software games since Borderlands 2 currently use Okratron 5000 for its voice cast, much to the fan's praise), maybe it's time that I conduct a poll on what would happen if Texas got more pre-lay (i.e. video games and cartoons) work, considering how the prices are cheaper and that there are less hassles to deal with due to the state's Right-To-Work laws.

• …..but the voice acting in RWBY is terrible. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

…..but the voice acting in RWBY is terrible. :hmm:

Well, the voice acting in the Borderlands series and SMITE are a lot better, though.

Anyways, how bad is RWBY's acting according to you?

• @SpacemanHardy:

…..but the voice acting in RWBY is terrible. :hmm:

Terrible in the sense that Funimation started employing their talent in shows like Fairy Tail?

• @Riles:

Terrible in the sense that Funimation started employing their talent in shows like Fairy Tail?

Terrible due to the direction IMO.

I'm for more video games being dubbed in Texas. Okratron has been making flawed games better with its dubs for years (Deus Ex: Invisible War, Borderlands 2) while CA has been making better games flawed with its lackluster dubbing.

As for cartoons, I could get behind that initiative if they were done by the proven studios in TX. Even if they aren't, I'm all for more voice acting migrating from a business-unfriendly state to a more business-friendly one like TX (no one wants to pay CA's "sunshine taxes") as I see it being better in the long run and I really don't see a need for voice acting to be near the US' capital of live action acting as the two disciplines don't have all that much crossover.

• @sidereal_presence:

Terrible due to the direction IMO.

Also due to Rooster Teeth not taking advantage of the sizable professional voiceover talent pool that Austin (where Rooster Teeth's located) offers. During the ADV Days, Austin offered anime dubs, and even recently voiced the majority of the characters in DC Universe Online.

@sidereal_presence:

Okratron has been making flawed games better with its dubs for years (Deus Ex: Invisible War, Borderlands 2)

Come on, Borderlands 2 isn't a flawed game. It's a critical and financial success for both Gearbox Software and 2K Games.

• nah, its flawed because Ashely Burch is Tiny Tina and she's only there because her brother works on the game, not because of talent. this upsets Sidereal

• @Getchman:

nah, its flawed because Ashely Burch is Tiny Tina and she's only there because her brother works on the game, not because of talent. this upsets Sidereal

I didn't find anything wrong with Ashley Burch and Tiny Tina.

• @Domayv:

I didn't find anything wrong with Ashley Burch and Tiny Tina.

Of course there's nothing wrong with Ashly Burch. Which is probably why sidereal must not like her.

I've come to think of sidereal as someone like Captain Peter Peachfuzz from the old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons, in that with everything he says, you should do the exact opposite. ~_^

• Does this mean RWBY has great direction or are you being needlessly spiteful

• @SpacemanHardy:

I've come to think of sidereal as someone like Captain Peter Peachfuzz from the old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons, in that with everything he says, you should do the exact opposite. ~_^

I'm starting to have the exact same feeling as you do. It seems like sidereal detests any voiceover productions that aren't done in Texas regardless of quality by calling them the worst thing ever, yet idolizes Texas voiceover work (also regardless of quality) like it's the greatest thing in US existence.

As much as I would love to see more games and cartoons to have the voices recorded in Texas, I would also like to see Vancouver resurge in the anime and game dubbing scene (Guilty Gear Xrd would be a perfect opportunity for Aksys to outsource the game's dub to Ocean since it would be cheaper than having it done in California (plus the fact that they can't reprise Troy Baker for Sol Badguy due to the AAA game industry's insane demand of him). Same with Atlus and the upcoming Persona 5 and SNK and their King of Fighters series). Even New York's NYAV Post is still going at a healthy pace due to recent the dubs of high-profile titles such as 009 Re: Cyborg and Time of Eve, and the Sunrise/TRSI deal (most of TRSI's titles are dubbed in New York) of the Gundam series.

• @Domayv:

Come on, Borderlands 2 isn't a flawed game. It's a critical and financial success for both Gearbox Software and 2K Games.

Success != flawless
    It was a fun game in co-op but the game itself was far too easy. Completing just a few sidequests early on gets one above the level of the enemies and once that happens, they never present a challenge again.

The writing was the biggest flaw. Borderlands 2's "humor" consisted of throwing out an onslaught of pop culture references and hoping that they were funny. They weren't (with precious few exceptions). The crack direction and acting from Okratron largely compensated from this as terrible lines delivered expertly are made bearable or even good.
    @Domayv:

It seems like sidereal detests any voiceover productions that aren't done in Texas regardless of quality by calling them the worst thing ever, yet idolizes Texas voiceover work (also regardless of quality) like it's the greatest thing in US existence.

False on every level. That's a shamefully bogus strawman: I save my lambasting of dubs for the ones that deserve it due to lack of quality and I can't help it that most of those are spawned from CA studios like Bang/Zoom and Studiopolis (the only studio that makes Bang/Zoom seem great in comparison). :)
    @SpacemanHardy:

I've come to think of sidereal as someone like Captain Peter Peachfuzz from the old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons, in that with everything he says, you should do the exact opposite.

Oh, if only our "moderators" were, well, moderate. It's like y'all don't even know what that word means. ;)

• ^ I know what you're trying to do, sidereal, and it's not going to work.

Knock it off. -_-