Blu-Ray release and Redub

• Funimation hasn't released a Blu-Ray edition of this series, yet it's been around in Japan since 2011. It would be great if Funimation releases a blu-ray edition of the show and on top of that, give it a brand new dub to better match the Fam, the Silver Wing cast.

• Not gonna happen.

And Last Exile's dub was already damn near perfect to begin with. If anything, it's Fam The Silver Wing that should be redubbed using the LA cast.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Not gonna happen.

And Last Exile's dub was already damn near perfect to begin with. If anything, it's Fam The Silver Wing that should be redubbed using the LA cast.

The only issue with Funi redubbing Fam the Silver Wing with LA talent if they chose to outsource it (I actually wanted it to be outsourced to LA instead of in-house dubbed at first) is that the initial release would have to break even with the dub and that most of the returning people from the original series are voiced by union-only VAs (unless Funi can spend at least $230000 for 26 episodes dubbed in LA if they made it union-contracted). If Funi did outsource Fam to LA and make it non-union, here's what would happen with the returning characters: Lauren Landa would replace Kari Wahlgren for Lavie Head, Keith Silverstein would respectively replace Crispin Freeman and Steve Blum for Alex Row and Vincent Alzey, and Benjamin Diskin would replace Joshua Seth for Dio Eraclea.

I honestly wished that Funi would outsource Fam to LA, but given their piss-poor track record with outsourcing for consistency, it probably never was going to happen. It's a shame really since Sentai, which has a much shorter budget than Funi, has outsourced K-on! season 2 (which was 2 cours like Fam), which has probably less sales potential than Fam. I'm still wishing for at least a blu-ray release of the original series, though.

• …You know I was largely being sarcastic, right? -_-

Last Exile does not need a redub. Fam the Silver Wing is fine with a FUNimation dub because the two series don't share all that many characters anyways. And FUNimation is more than likely not going to bother with a bluray release of Last Exile because it's not a super-hot seller for them.

• @SpacemanHardy:

And FUNimation is more than likely not going to bother with a bluray release of Last Exile because it's not a super-hot seller for them.

If it received an Anime Classics treatment (which means that it sold well enough for them), how come you're saying that it's not a good-seller

• No BR masters = no BR's

• @TIL:

No BR masters = no BR's

There's a Blu-Ray edition already available in Japan since 2011, therefore Funi can just get it (though they'll have to pay extra since they didn't license for BD rights when they license rescued the series back in December 2008).

• @Domayv:

There's a Blu-Ray edition already available in Japan since 2011, therefore Funi can just get it (though they'll have to pay extra since they didn't license for BD rights when they license rescued the series back in December 2008).

There's your answer. Obviously, FUNi doesn't feel that Last Exile is a big enough seller for them to drop down the extra cash for licensing the bluray rights.

See, just because Last Exile is an Anime Classic does not mean that it's selling gangbusters for them. There's a big difference between an old show like LE that sells "okay" and a show like DBZ or Bebop that, despite how old it gets, is still guaranteed to sell like hot cakes.

And it's not even like Last Exile would even look all that good on bluray, anyways. Considering LE was animated digitally before the days of high-definition video, it would obviously be an upscale, and those are usually hit-or-miss quality-wise. More miss than hit, actually.

• @SpacemanHardy:

And Last Exile's dub was already damn near perfect to begin with.

I've been rewatching this recently, and couldn't agree more. I can't believe somebody would suggest a redub.

• Seems now that Noir is being revisited with a new bluray release of its own, perhaps a bluray re-release of Last Exile might just be a possibility after all.

This is of course all just conjecture from me and it still might never happen, but at least it's something to hope for. :)