Actual Suggestion, Add A Chatroom.

• I think it would be a great if Funimation would add a chatroom to their website/forums It would be much easier to discuss things. It would cut down on redundant thread posts and would keep people more active on the site. It would be easy to set up and easy to maintain. I think users would enjoy a chatroom as well, especially because one of the forums rules is "No chatting." a chatroom would be a great place for people to discuss things.

One reason Funimation might want to get a chatroom for their own benefit is that I think it could help them reduce the number of support problems submitted on the forums. An example being; if someone is not sure if something is a problem/support worthy or not (like if they cannot find a certain episode for a show that was supposed to be released on a certain day) they could go to the chatroom and find out from another user that there was a delay on the episode, instead of submitting a ticket.

Who else would love it if Funimation added something like this?

• This would be nice but I dont see it happening, I wish I knew of a good IRC channel for talking about anime and such. Anyone know of a good one?

• First of all, I want to make it clear that I'm NOT speaking on behalf of FUNimation, or any of the staff. This is purely my own personal opinion to this idea. Second of all, I AM writing here based on my several years of experience with not only being a moderator at various forums, but with administrating two forums, and assisting in the creation of another forum.

Having said that, I can assure you that based on my experience not only as a mod, but as a member/user–a chat room is often the death blow to a forum's activity. Unless a chat room is strictly moderated on a near 24/7 minute by minute basis, it runs the risk of becoming a lurking-ground for "sage" users that evolve into net-bullies and elitists; and the sheer amount of constant idiotic prattle is neither productive or community engaging. More than sixty percent of the userbase that does post would probably drop off and either lurk or no longer bother to post, and those that do would make nothing short of a mockery of the intention of the thing as a whole.

Don't misunderstand, I'm all for user involvement, and for members to be able to get more convo for their membership. But, a chat room would absolutely destroy the message board. I've seen it done time and time again. So while I'm for any suggestion that might encourage member involvement, I'm dead-set against any form of chat room, or IRC.

As for a chat room being used for "support" related inquiries and requests, I'm afraid it would only escalate into a shouting match of "where the hell is my anmu!" and run completely out of control with no order what-so-ever.

• okay Davidism i see your point but what if the chat was for people that pay All-Access fee I've ran forums and such and I've seen that yes you do need staff 24/7 for the chat but if there is not staff on 24/7 any way the staff is just lazy as many users as this site has I'm shear that there is people all over the globe on the site any way

"May the Anime Gods be in your Hearts"

• @deathishere:

if there is not staff on 24/7 any way the staff is just lazy

Or they aren't paid to watch the site 24/7, or they're volunteers and have no obligation to watch the site 24/7

Not to mention the probability that there would be a large community divide if all-access people used the chat and abandoned the forums, leaving only the free users to speak to one another

• @Riles:

Or they aren't paid to watch the site 24/7, or they're volunteers and have no obligation to watch the site 24/7

Not to mention the probability that there would be a large community divide if all-access people used the chat and abandoned the forums, leaving only the free users to speak to one another

okay in that since i understand but why should the mods or admins be payed on any forums or chat I would volunteer to do some of the work on the chat but how hard would it be for a mod to spend like 1 hour a day to 3 hours a day to read chat they do it any way on the forums it is just you don't get a fast reply on the forums and you do on the chat and to be frank I hate waiting for replies on the forums i would like a answer to what I ask when I ask it but that is just me

"May the Anime Gods be in your Hearts "

• If you're asking someone to do something at a specific time and they're committing to do the thing at a certain time and you are a company and they are a person, that is called a "job" and you have to compensate people for that. :)

Our moderators are allowed to work whenever they wish, because that's a volunteer position. We wouldn't be able to schedule our current moderators into a chat room format, and we don't have the internal staff to monitor 24/7, currently, which is what would be needed. This is also why we don't currently offer chat support or phone support.

As a side note– everyone on the forums with an "Admin" badge IS an official FUNimation Employee, All of us have other duties (mostly Customer Support related) outside of the forums as well, but we're all on the payroll. :)

Chat IS, however, something that we have continually had on the table as a possibility in the future. We can't offer it now because of what's involved in monitoring it, but it's definitely something we've looked at before and will likely look at again-- I'll let the powers that be know about the demand, though. :)

Additionally, though, if you have any ideas about things that might increase forum participation, I'd love to hear them! :D

• i dont see this hapening anytime soon or at all.
    their really is not enough forum usage, aside from the tournements, complaints , same old whens season 3 of ….coming out.
    its been mentioned awile back that this place has becom a ghost town for forum usage.
    as for the mods it seems that its mostly spaceman and davidism are the only ones handling the forums , thiers no way two people could mod a 24/7 chatroom and the forums.

• now see i did not know that there was just 2 mods that do the forums i thou there was more than that i retract my lazy statement that is a lot of work to do for just 2 people I know cuzz I've ran some forums before and it was just me doing all the work cuzz i did not have any mods to help me or any other admin it was just me so i know how hard the work is

• @deathishere:

now see i did not know that there was just 2 mods that do the forums i thou there was more than that i retract my lazy statement that is a lot of work to do for just 2 people I know cuzz I've ran some forums before and it was just me doing all the work cuzz i did not have any mods to help me or any other admin it was just me so i know how hard the work is

they have like 8 mods, however its only the two mentioned that have been able to support the forums for a while,

• Having spent some time on my old website's chatroom, I'll tell you this right now:

If FUNi ever does set up a chatroom, I ain't gonna touch it. -_-

• I would be hesitant to use the chatrooms since I've experienced what Davidisms talking about.

I did see see a feature on Viki.com that might work, and its really neat to use. You can add comments on the screen that become part of the shows experience.