A Certain Magical Index

• Is there gonna be a third season of index? There are too many unanswered questions and the season justs ends before the S@t hits the fan! I know that Index is a huge franchise in Japan and the fans are even more rabid about stories than we are. Any guesses?

• probably at some point.

• Keep in mind that it is the same studio producing both Index and Railgun. Resources are limited, and these series are 24 episodes per season (by far not the norm these days).

The way it has happened in the past is:
    Index 1 (Fall 2008),
    Railgun 1 (Fall 2009),
    Index 2 (Fall 2010),
    Index Movie (Winter 2013), and
    Railgun 2 (Spring 2013)

Both of these series have progressed roughly equally into their respective light novel source material, but both are still unfinished. It is likely that Index is next in line for for a new season, but nothing has been confirmed. Honestly, it is crazy that the series is still so popular considering the LN just celebrated its 10 year anniversary a few months ago.

If you want to keep an eye on what anime series/movies/OVA have been greenlit but not yet announced for an actual release date, you can use sites like AniChart.

• They talked about doing a 3rd season back when they did the movie. So if those plans still live it will happen at some point. When would be the only question.

• IS the Index movie supposed to be coming out from Funimation?

• @Tituskanbe:

Is there gonna be a third season of index? There are too many unanswered questions and the season justs ends before the S@t hits the fan! I know that Index is a huge franchise in Japan and the fans are even more rabid about stories than we are. Any guesses?

They are celebrating a 10 year Index anniversary with 10 projects. 9 have already been announced with the recent one being an Index Anime Crossover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZCp7FnD3w).

The tenth announcement is going to be announced Oct. 10th. That might be season 3 for all we know.

• @aaronwt:

IS the Index movie supposed to be coming out from Funimation?

Yes, it was confirmed as licensed last December, at the same time they announced Index II would begin streaming and had been licensed for home video:
    http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3147

• I really wish they would have released the first season of Index on BD before the second season. I would have purchased season 1 on BD to watch it again if it were coming out first. But for some reason they decided to release Season 2 on BD and then a month later release Season 1 on BD.

• The first time I saw subs in railgun s I was in awe because of how pretty it was to see the amazing amont of real upgrade artwork done. It seems like night and day sometimes between both the first and second season of each, and I think they wouldn't have cut the budget and made a spinoff and much better art without knowing they're investing into this as best they can. of course in business things happen where its unpredictable…but even tite kubo expected to be doing bleach for ten more years easily. Since it's well received, we'll have to see how that translates to money and therefore more and more for us. I can't imagine an adventure storyline that combined from the beginning trying to lead up to (((((KINDA SPOILER???))))) the war. But since they mentioned it briefly but not impending and as a title of pre-war you know that it's already planned. Comes down to the buck I say.

• @neuronton:

The first time I saw subs in railgun s I was in awe because of how pretty it was to see the amazing amont of real upgrade artwork done. It seems like night and day sometimes between both the first and second season of each, and I think they wouldn't have cut the budget and made a spinoff and much better art without knowing they're investing into this as best they can. of course in business things happen where its unpredictable…but even tite kubo expected to be doing bleach for ten more years easily. Since it's well received, we'll have to see how that translates to money and therefore more and more for us. I can't imagine an adventure storyline that combined from the beginning trying to lead up to (((((KINDA SPOILER???))))) the war. But since they mentioned it briefly but not impending and as a title of pre-war you know that it's already planned. Comes down to the buck I say.

it would be pretty sweet to have Railgun S quality animation for the rest of the series. From the beginning to end.

• Moving this thread to the official Index forum.

Please post any Index-related topics in there from now on. :)