English translation titles? Someone explain

• I've noticed lately that some Funimation dubs are being given strange and mistranslated titles, which usually don't make sense.
    "Shingeki no kyoujin", for example, means something like "March of giants" or "Giant's march"… So why was it named "Attack on Titan"? The name makes little sense.
    Same for Zankyou No Terror. To me, it seems like Funimation is taking the word for "Of" and making it into "In" or "on", and I don't understand why.

And yes, I know not all are being given strange English names, but these are two that I noticed, and it bothers me. I'm sorry if this has already been asked and answered, I didn't see it.

• I'm pretty sure both of those are official translations by the Japanese

• Translations can be pretty broad and have a variety of interpretations. That and the name they choose to use is often decided upon by our friends in japan. They have some but little control over the actual name given. Couuld be why we end up with names like Cat Planet Cuties from Asobi ni iku Yo!.

• @Getchman:

I'm pretty sure both of those are official translations by the Japanese

They aren't, however, they are the rough translations the Japanese gave them in English. Shingeki no Kyojin was called Attack on Titan when it was airing in Japan - it literally said "Attack on Titan" in the intro.

• It seems apparent to me that whoever came up with the English name for Attack on Titan was not fluent in English, since the title doesn't really make any sense in the context of the show (I feel like it should be Attack on Titans)

Terror in Resonance is tougher to pin down, but it should be noted that the show is also known as Terror in Tokyo in Japan, and the literal translation is Terror of Echo (or Echo's Terror), so it's possible that Funimation and the Japanese creative team together came up with a name that combined both of the Japanese names, as well as applying a synonym for 'echo' that was a better fit for the plot of the show

A lot of liberal translations pretty simply come from the literal translation either being boring or confusing in regards to what it's actually about. Cat Planet Cuties, for example, is a far more explanatory title than Let's Go Play!. Similarly, Good Luck Girl! makes a lot more sense to an English-speaking region than something like This God of Poverty!, especially since Ichiko is more of the main character anyway

• I think it's just based on what most people call it at the time it was licensed. Sometimes it's exactly what the fans call it, sometimes it's a translation, sometimes it's a mixture of both. Sometimes the original author or production company makes the decision on what the english name is, so it's not necessarily FUNimations' fault if that's the case. Sometimes they are renamed due to copyright reasons.

It's really a case by case scenario, depending on what people call it at the time it was licensed, who's translating it, whether or not it can be translated or not, who makes the final decision, whether or not the title actually makes any sense in english, copyright reasons etc. There are many variables.

Now obviously Attack on Titan doesn't perfectly make sense it english, but Shingeki no Kyoujin doesn't make any sense at all in english, cause it simply isn't english.

And really, because english and japanese are two very different languages and hard to translate, translations between the two languages in my opinions are really just interpretations in a different language. Unless it's only a handful of words, almost every translation for something will be different.

I don't why you are making such a big deal about this anyway. It's just the title, and it's not like the titles are completely off the mark from the original title and don't even remotely mean the same thing.
    Based on what you wrote, I can tell you don't speak or understand Japanese. I can understand, speak and translate Japanese to an extent (not perfect, but good enough). And when I factor in all the variables and consider all the circumstances, I honestly don't have much of if any problem with how these titles are translated. No disrespect, but if you don't speak or understand japanese you are not in a position to judge other translations, because it's just a matter of opinion.
    Just let it go. If you don't like funimation's translations, don't watch them, simple.