Wibbly Wobbley Timey Wimey: The Doctor Who Disscussion Thread.

• Travel Through Time & Space to come & Chat about everyone's favorite Time-Lord & his friends!

Doctor Who News

• 50th Anniversary Special Announced, airs November 23rd worldwide!
    • New Doctor to replace Matt Smith after 2013 Christmas Special

• For those interested BBC America is streaming the doctor who 50th anniversary special on their YouTube channel starting at 2:15/1:15 PM E/C. Are you ready to #SaveTheDay!?

http://youtu.be/-uLfE-fHwR8

• Well, I liked it quite a bit, but the exchange with Baker felt a bit ood.

• Yeah it was fin. Although honestly I'm more looking forward to the Christmas Special. Looks like Silence Will Fall might properly wrap-up the Silences story arc. As well as the 11th Doctors. Also looks like the Cybermen & Weeping Angels might make an appearance as well. Nice!

• @EyeOfPain:

Well, I liked it quite a bit, but the exchange with Baker felt a bit ood.

I see what you did there… or maybe it was a typo. Either way, nice. I did find the dialogue to be very referential, but that was the last thing on my mind because it was full of AWESOME.

Huh. I kind of expected a Doctor Who thread to be a bit more busy. Especially with the 50th and all...

• @MugenHAN:

Huh. I kind of expected a Doctor Who thread to be a bit more busy. Especially with the 50th and all…

Yeah, in the few forums I visit, the DW threads are always very low-key, which I think I would prefer to the rampant fangasming I've seen elsewhere.

I'm hoping for plenty of Capaldi in the Christmas Special, but I'm expecting The Doctor will only regenerate in the last few minutes.

• Hey, after talking with some of my younger friends that started watching with the 9th doctor, I realized that during the 50th were A LOT of puns, and almost honorable mentions for all the previous Doctors that many new fans may not have caught or even knew about. Lets see who pays attention or has watched the old series.
    The scene that starts off with " Ahhhh you redecorated" is almost word for word from ; The Three Doctors, when The second Doctor meets the third Doctor and is trying to get under his skin. There were plenty of really obvious ones but lets see how many the new fans and if any are close to my age the old fans can come up with.
    Scorpio

• @Scorpwillsting:

The scene that starts off with " Ahhhh you redecorated" is almost word for word from ; The Three Doctors, when The second Doctor meets the third Doctor and is trying to get under his skin.

Oh, nice catch. I remember the line, but I don't remember too big a difference between Troughton and Pertwee's TARDIS interiors, but they were probably more subtle than the coral and neon blue designs.

I'll have to go back and re-watch The Three Doctors, but I don't think I ever saw an adventure featuring Zygons before the 50th, but apparently they were included in "The Pandorica Opens."

• @EyeOfPain:

but I don't think I ever saw an adventure featuring Zygons before the 50th, but apparently they were included in "The Pandorica Opens."

They seem to stick with more main stream or new monsters in the new series but they do throw the old fans a bone every so often, like the 9th doctors monsters on his first appearance was the same as the 3rds when he first regenerated, the nestene consciousness and autons. Zygons were in the Loch Ness monster episode: Terror of the Zygons back in bakers 2nd season. Only time they ever showed up before the pandorica if I remember right, lol the 80's when they aired in the states was a long time ago.

It's nice to have a chat about Doctor Who in a Mellow forum, Thanx again to soundmonkey44 for starting this.

• No prob. Glad to have another Whoovian aboard!

And yeah, nice to have an older monster thrown in the mix every now and then. Would love to see the Sea-Devils pop up again someday.

• @Soundmonkey44:

And yeah, nice to have an older monster thrown in the mix every now and then. Would love to see the Sea-Devils pop up again someday.

Weren't the Sea-Devils just a branch of the Silurians, though?

I've heard some people asking for an appearance from Time Lady Rani, but maybe that isn't too likely with the Time War locked and Gallifrey still lost.

• True. But it would still be fun to see what a modernized sea-devil would look like.

• Sea Devils would be cool I always liked the amphibious Silurians, and The Rani, since she never did hang out on Gallifrey much with a threat of execution on her may be a high possibility.
    I would love to finally see who and what the Terrible Zodin is. Doc 2 talks about Zodin to the Brigadier in The Five Doctors and subsequent Doctors mentioned her as well but to date she has never shown up.
    And what ever happened to Jenny? Last they showed she regenerated and took off in a ship…......You would think that at some point she would get her butt in major trouble( she is the doctors daughter more or less so that's inevitable) and something would come across the psychic paper and he goes rushing off to save her or maybe he gets in trouble and she comes and saves his butt.

• Watched Time of the Doctor. Still Teary eyed. Goodbye Raggidy Man. cries

• I hear ya, as regeneration episodes go that was really good, only one that tops it was Tennants. I wonder how long Clara will be around? Only companions that have stuck around after a regeneration for a while have been Sara Jane and Rose.
    Now the Long wait till next autumn for the new doctor.
    I really hope Netflix or Amazon Prime start getting more classic episodes to tide us over.

• @Scorpwillsting:

I hear ya, as regeneration episodes go that was really good, only one that tops it was Tennants. I wonder how long Clara will be around? Only companions that have stuck around after a regeneration for a while have been Sara Jane and Rose.
    Now the Long wait till next autumn for the new doctor.
    I really hope Netflix or Amazon Prime start getting more classic episodes to tide us over.

I think Sarah Jane was only with Pertwee for a couple stories before Tom Baker took over the role, so there's that.

Netflix's offerings are definitely lacking as far as Classic Who goes. They've got a couple of great stories from the first three Doctors, a lot of Tom Baker, two Davison stories, no Colin Baker and only one McCoy.

I'd really like to see more stories from those last two; Colin's incarnation just has this "I don't really care about you" attitude that is unique among Doctors, and McCoy's Doctor is just so brazen in how he makes his way onto the army base in "Curse of Fenric" that I'd love to see more of that, despite the cheesy effects and the opening sequence from that era.

• @EyeOfPain:

I think Sarah Jane was only with Pertwee for a couple stories before Tom Baker took over the role, so there's that.

I'd really like to see more stories from those last two; Colin's incarnation just has this "I don't really care about you" attitude that is unique among Doctors, and McCoy's Doctor is just so brazen in how he makes his way onto the army base in "Curse of Fenric" that I'd love to see more of that, despite the cheesy effects and the opening sequence from that era.

Your right Sarah showed up in The Time Warrior the start of Pertwee's last season so only one season before the regen but she did stick around for 3 seasons with Baker and started the 4th before being replaced by my personal favorite companion, Leela.

I've seen all of Collins and in my opinion you haven't missed much but some people did like him, I was happy he was gone after a few seasons (cancelled due too being fired) but that may have just been the writers, McCoy had the right moxie and unfortunately started at the shows decline so didn't get to really show what he could do.

Yeah they were really messing the theme up, lol i used to VHS record every Sunday night and fast forward through it on Monday.

Love the old cheesy effects, fills a warm place in my heart every time I watch an old episode.

• You know afew things I've wondered about in regards to Time of The Doctor. First off there's the phone, is that meant to set up something important? Or just a silly ongoing gag? Also the Silence that confronted Clara told her to "confess". Was there a reason to that or was that particular Silent just bored and decided to f*ck with with the churches guests? XD

Speaking of which, kind of disappointed the silence from Season 6 were just a rouge sect of the church. still doesn't explain everything they did IMO, but that's just me

Still enjoyed it overall, but curious at any potential hints for the future.

• @Scorpwillsting:

Your right Sarah showed up in The Time Warrior the start of Pertwee's last season so only one season before the regen but she did stick around for 3 seasons with Baker and started the 4th before being replaced by my personal favorite companion, Leela.

That's actually a bit longer than I figured (without doing any research). I do like what I've seen of Leela too, and of course K-9.

I've seen all of Collins and in my opinion you haven't missed much but some people did like him, I was happy he was gone after a few seasons (cancelled due too being fired) but that may have just been the writers, McCoy had the right moxie and unfortunately started at the shows decline so didn't get to really show what he could do.

I think they actually brought that up in the DW Revisited episode for Colin; the Head of Drama at the time didn't like the show, and decided 3 seasons was enough for any incarnation. I think I just like the idea of a Doctor who will do the right thing, but won't bat an eyelash at getting rid of the "little people" in his way. Hartnell was even more self-serving in the early episodes, and could have been even worse without Ian and Barbara.

Yeah they were really messing the theme up, lol i used to VHS record every Sunday night and fast forward through it on Monday.

I think it was the wink and smile that got me most…

Love the old cheesy effects, fills a warm place in my heart every time I watch an old episode.

I don't mind them (they can be charming), so long as they don't get in the way of a good story.

@Soundmonkey44:

You know afew things I've wondered about in regards to Time of The Doctor. First off there's the phone, is that meant to set up something important? Or just a silly ongoing gag? Also the Silence that confronted Clara told her to "confess". Was there a reason to that or was that particular Silent just bored and decided to f*ck with with the churches guests? XD

Who knows with Moffat; we don't know where Handles was picked up either.

Speaking of which, kind of disappointed the silence from Season 6 were just a rouge sect of the church. still doesn't explain everything they did IMO, but that's just me

As for the Silence, it's hard to tell without knowing more about The Church of the Papal Mainframe: are they a human organization? Are they from the future or the past? If they're human, why doesn't the "You should kill us all on sight" edict from the moon landing no longer affect people? When does the Doctor arrive in Christmas?

Someone was trying to replicate a TARDIS in "The Lodger" and I always thought the Silence's ship/base in "Day of the Moon" looked eerily similar to what we saw in the former episode. But in any case, I don't think they were just got "bored."

• waves hands angrily. MOFFAT!!! But yeah, the special was a good wrap-up for 11s story, but not so much for the silence. And yeah, I thought the silence were the ones building the TARDIS clones as well, but at this point who can say for sure. Oh well, maybe if we see them again in season 8 or beyond well get more answers about that rouge sect then. And also what if anything Clara needs to confess.

• This is a lot of fun, most new fans I've met haven't checked out any of the old doctors.
    K-9 is right up there with Leela for fav companions for me. Heck of a lot better then the android that Davidson picked up in The King's Demons. Kamelion or chameelian or something like that.

Hartnell was even more self-serving in the early episodes, and could have been even worse without Ian and Barbara. -EyeOfPain

I think that is why he always needed a Human around to help keep him in check, otherwise he could have just gone right off the deep end and really did some damage.

Oh well, maybe if we see them again in season 8 or beyond well get more answers about that rouge sect then. And also what if anything Clara needs to confess. - Soundmonkey44

but if we see them then we wont remember…....lol. Yeah I hope some of the inconsistencies come out in the wash next year, have re-watched that episode a few times now and I can't figure out anything about the Confession either. Maybe she accidentally caused one of the Doctors deaths/need to Regenerate somehow.