Order they should be watched in

• Season 1
    Episodes 1 - 25
    Episode 26 (OVA)

Season 2
    Episodes 39-42 (OVA)
    Episodes 27-38

Even though episodes 39-42 came out after episodes 27-38, episodes 39-42 chronologically occur before episodes 27-38 and you need to see 39-42 before you can understand 27-38 (i.e. 39-42 should have been season 2 and 27-38 should have been season 3).

Many people didn't care for season 2 but I enjoyed it more then season 1.

• When an anime series has to have after-the-fact OVAs made to try and salvage the horrible, illogical second season then it is a sure sign that the 2nd season in its entirety isn't worth watching. If only I had known that going in as Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor might just be the worst sequel series in all of anime.

• @sidereal_presence:

When an anime series has to have after-the-fact OVAs made to try and salvage the horrible, illogical second season then it is a sure sign that the 2nd season in its entirety isn't worth watching. If only I had known that going in as Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor might just be the worst sequel series in all of anime.

I would agree with you that without the OVAs, season 2 makes little sense. If I hadn't seen the OVAs before season2, I would have also hated season2. I watched the OVAs before the second season so I have a much different opinion then you on the second season (I thought it was very good and I liked it better than the first season). For those that are going to watch the second season, the main character is a new character and is not BK201 (although he is in it).

• I went back and fourth on this subject several times. I watched them in the order they are listed on the streaming site and felt like watching the OVA first would have helped ease the transition, however, it seems also like there are spoilers in the OVA that would have ruined some of the mystery factor trying to decipher the second season.