Á‚そびにいくヨ! - Asobi ni Iku yo! - Lets go Play! =/= Cat Planet Cuties so why?

• not only Asobi ni Iku yo! but Aa Megami-sama! this is the second anime i have seen that once licensed by funimation the title was translated on purpose incorrectly
    for Aa Megami-sama! funimation changed it to Ah My Goddess! when the correct translation and authors intent was Oh My Goddess!

for Asobi ni Iku yo! funimation completely went beyond the bounds of making a translation mistake and changed the title to Cat Planet Cuties when the actual translation is Lets go Play! as also was the authors intent also one of the ending songs which contain the catian modo at 22:15 on ep 4 "I'm going to drop by" the sentence after that is asobi ni iku yo! which in the song as a continuation of the previous sentence at 22:20 ep 4 is "to hang out with you" so how did you fail to translate the title of the anime correctly? as from what i see this was deliberate and i'm pretty sure others feel that funimation was wrong for this

• marketing reasons. they chose a title that would catch a persons attention better than the original title as well as give them a better idea of what the show might be about. something the Japanese approved of and even liked.

• If you'd never heard of the show before, would you be more interested in a show called Let's Go Play!, or would you be more interested in a show called Cat Planet Cuties!

• @michaelfox310:

for Aa Megami-sama! funimation changed it to Ah My Goddess! when the correct translation and authors intent was Oh My Goddess!

No they didn't. That would be Kodansha, Pioneer, and Media Blasters. ADV licensed the second season of the TV series and kept the name, and all FUNimation ever did was rescue the title from them once they went out of business.

As for the official story on the name controversy, taken from the Wikipedia page:

Translating the original Japanese title of Aa! Megami-sama! (ああっ女神さまっ?) proved to be problematic. Fred Patten, in writing the preface to the collection "Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews", stated that fans were still debating whether "Ah! My Goddess" or "Oh My Goddess!" should be used at the time of writing, approximately 15 years after the first Oh My Goddess! manga was published.[12] When the United States anime import company AnimEigo obtained the original video animation (OVA) rights, they titled the series Oh My Goddess!.[13] This approach was also followed by Toren Smith and Dark Horse Comics when translating the manga. Released in concert with the OVA series in 1994,[14] Smith has since stated that he saw the title as a play on "Oh my god!", and felt that there was no problem when translating it. Smith confirmed that his interpretation of the author's intent was correct by consulting with Fujishima.[15] Nevertheless, Kodansha's bilingual release of the manga used Ah! My Goddess,[16] as did Pioneer's North American release of the film,[17] and Media Blasters's 2005 DVD release of the TV series.[18]

Fujishima stated in Animerica that "Oh" was closer to his intent, but acknowledged that the title should be rendered so as to make sense within the country that it is published, and specifically stated that films may warrant different titles than other works.[19] He did, however, state that he would prefer to see consistency between the titles of the manga and those of the animations.[19]

So yeah. Blame whoever you want, except FUNimation. :hmm:

• @Getchman:

marketing reasons. they chose a title that would catch a persons attention better than the original title as well as give them a better idea of what the show might be about. something the Japanese approved of and even liked.

Marketing reasons? Who's they, and where's the proof to back your statement on this approval?

@Riles:

If you'd never heard of the show before, would you be more interested in a show called Let's Go Play!, or would you be more interested in a show called Cat Planet Cuties!

I have never heard of the show before. But on a personal level I wouldn't even think twice apon checking out a show with the name "Cat Planet Cuties" but I would atleast check to see what "Let's Go Play" was about. So assuming that a title change would gather interest in something may be untrue, and one would think that it would also be somewhat insulting to the writer.

• @omniboyy:

Marketing reasons? Who's they, and where's the proof to back your statement on this approval?

the marketing department would be my guess.

A lot of what funimation and every other distributor does with each show often has to be approved by the Japanese rights holders, that includes potential title changes.

• I can confirm that Marketing chose the title for Cat Planet Cuties to make it more marketable and that the title was approved by the Japanese licensor. This also happened with Detective Conan / Case Closed, although for a different reason.

source: I was in the room. :P

• @Sophie:

source: I was in the room. :P

When you're there during the Strike Witches Movie meeting, could you persuade the powers that be to drop the "War on Pants" tagline? ~_^

• Absolutely no.

• Likely no, but here's something that the tagline always reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtG3ayixcwU