The censoring has got to go

• So since I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, I'll be the one to ask FUNimation to go ahead and stop censoring Tokyo Ghoul. This is an anime where you need an account to watch it, since it's age gated. And yet for some reason, I start episode 2 and within 2 minutes, half the screen is black to cover the gore. So is there a reason for this? Because if so, I'd like to hear it, since I refuse to touch this show until I can actually see what's going on.

• The simulcast uses the same footage transmitted to Japanese TV, FUNi didn't censor anything.
    Once the home video master tapes become available, then if uncensored footage is available, it'll be on EVS as well as DVD/BD.

• TIL Nobu is 100% correct– FUNimation has not added any censoring to Tokyo Ghoul-- this is the broadcast version from Japan, the same version that is airing on Japanese television.

When we get the DVD/BD footage (usually in conjunction with our physical release, though not always) we update the streaming footage for subscribers. Non-subscribers will always have the censored version, for most shows.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

• I can look passed the censoring but the main kid is scared every episode and with each new one he looks like more of a tool, wish they would kill him off already. Sorry for this Spoiler Warning…........

! In episode 7 when the mother dies I lost what little respect I had left for him! think I'm done with this anime .

• @jv1188:

I can look passed the censoring but the main kid is scared every episode and with each new one he looks like more of a tool, wish they would kill him off already. Sorry for this Spoiler Warning…........

! In episode 7 when the mother dies I lost what little respect I had left for him! think I'm done with this anime .

If you think he's a bitch watch the last episode.

• when funi dubs it u think they will censor it as well?

• In a word: No.

@CJ:

When we get the DVD/BD footage (usually in conjunction with our physical release, though not always) we update the streaming footage for subscribers. Non-subscribers will always have the censored version, for most shows.

• Also, because I see this misconception a lot, I just want to reiterate– spread the word-- FUNimation rarely, if ever, censors anime. We will very, very rarely choose to censor things for an American audience due to differences in society between Japan and America, so I don't want to say we NEVER censor anything. But, we did not censor ANYTHING in Tokyo Ghoul, or in the vast, vast majority of our titles.

We do, however, often present the Japanese censored content for our simulcasts. These anime have been censored by the original licensors, in order to appear on Japanese television, which has restrictions on content, much like our own television. Since what we have for simulcasts are the broadcast rights, we show the broadcast version, which means if the broadcast version includes censorship, so will the funimation.com version.

When/if we receive the home video release version of the content, which is usually uncensored, we will release that content and update the website with the home video release version in both sub and dub for our subscribers. Due to Hulu restrictions, most uncensored content will not be available for free users.

• @CJ:

Also, because I see this misconception a lot, I just want to reiterate– spread the word-- FUNimation rarely, if ever, censors anime. We will very, very rarely choose to censor things for an American audience due to differences in society between Japan and America, so I don't want to say we NEVER censor anything. But, we did not censor ANYTHING in Tokyo Ghoul, or in the vast, vast majority of our titles.

We do, however, often present the Japanese censored content for our simulcasts. These anime have been censored by the original licensors, in order to appear on Japanese television, which has restrictions on content, much like our own television. Since what we have for simulcasts are the broadcast rights, we show the broadcast version, which means if the broadcast version includes censorship, so will the funimation.com version.

When/if we receive the home video release version of the content, which is usually uncensored, we will release that content and update the website with the home video release version in both sub and dub for our subscribers. Due to Hulu restrictions, most uncensored content will not be available for free users.

Sorry but this is not entirely accurate. You guys cut material from Dragonar Academy (upwards of 20 - 45 seconds from every episode) that was present on HDTV rips of the show. While I believe you do not add additional censoring in the form of black or white bars, you have shown in the past that you can and will cut scenes you deem "inappropriate". To be honest I don't care over much as I can usually get the unedited show elsewhere, but please do not try and claim you never edit your simulcast content.

• @aroth:

Sorry but this is not entirely accurate. You guys cut material from Dragonar Academy (upwards of 20 - 45 seconds from every episode) that was present on HDTV rips of the show. While I believe you do not add additional censoring in the form of black or white bars, you have shown in the past that you can and will cut scenes you deem "inappropriate". To be honest I don't care over much as I can usually get the unedited show elsewhere, but please do not try and claim you never edit your simulcast content.

Those HDTV rips for Dragonar Academy came from AT-X, a subscription-based premium channel on cable and satellite television. Since it's a premium channel, it does not conform to typical broadcasting regulations, similar to how certain stations in America can broadcast nudity or language, or in the case of Dragonar Academy, additional scenes that allow the show to run past its designated air time

Dragonar Academy, to the majority of households, was broadcast on Tokyo MX, MBS, TVA, and BS11, all of which abide by standard censorship and runtime criteria. This is the simulcast that Funimation received, so this is the simulcast that Funimation aired

• Riles is absolutely correct.

We did not remove anything from Dragonar Academy– that was the broadcast version we received from Japan and is the exact same version you would have seen on Japanese broadcast television.

There is, as Riles says, a premium channel (think HBO or Showtime) that occasionally will show uncensored content. However, for simulcasts the rights are to the broadcast version of the show, because we are also "broadcasting" it when we simulcast, so we receive the broadcast version from Japan with the Japanese censorship intact.

• Nobody has the right to say what i can and cannot see. I hate censorship in all forms.. it violates MY human rights. BAN CENSORSHIP.
    Other wise its a dictatorship.

• Just wondering if since Tokyo Ghoul the uncensored version has completely been released on blu-ray and DVD will the uncensored version come to platforms like the Google Play Store and iTunes soon?

• @darknessrising:

Just wondering if since Tokyo Ghoul the uncensored version has completely been released on blu-ray and DVD will the uncensored version come to platforms like the Google Play Store and iTunes soon?

I'd like to bump this with the addition: I'm a huge fan of this series but stopped watching due to the heavy censorship. I understand that Funimation neither has control of this or is at fault, I'd just like to know if, since the DVD version has been released, if that was indeed uncensored and the streaming has been updated to match. Thank you.

• Are there plans to get the rights to the other version Dragonar Academy? I'm not into the the censored stuff itself but some content is really funny, like when Eko sends Jessica flying out of the room and Julius threatens to expose Veronica's sister complex.

• @jv1188:

I can look passed the censoring but the main kid is scared every episode and with each new one he looks like more of a tool, wish they would kill him off already. Sorry for this Spoiler Warning…........

Him being a wuss and a scaredy is a major part of the plot early on, trust me it's worth watching, Finish the first season all the way up to episode 12 and then come tell me how you feel about it.

• I know its been a while since this thread has been going but I'm interested in the answer to this one as well. I know I've considered purchasing several DVDs and have been hesitant do to the fact that although the DVD was out, the content here still appeared to be censored (especially I hate the lazy black dot / black pannels that wreck the art, if your going to do it do it neatly). This makes me wonder just what is censored in the DVD? I know over the last few years the attitude towards censorship in Japan has increased and a lot of things that would have gotten on TV before would be censored silly now. In addition I have noticed on several titles that although the Japanese censorship has come off in some case additional censorship is added (as pointed out usually do to cultural differences of what is acceptable in sexual content). That being said, the reason I buy the DVD is as a collector I want a pristine copy with the perfect & total footage & so the anime is supported. If I wanted chopped up I would just download it from one of the many sites pirating it.

• @MasterP0:

I know its been a while since this thread has been going but I'm interested in the answer to this one as well. I know I've considered purchasing several DVDs and have been hesitant do to the fact that although the DVD was out, the content here still appeared to be censored (especially I hate the lazy black dot / black pannels that wreck the art, if your going to do it do it neatly). This makes me wonder just what is censored in the DVD? I know over the last few years the attitude towards censorship in Japan has increased and a lot of things that would have gotten on TV before would be censored silly now. In addition I have noticed on several titles that although the Japanese censorship has come off in some case additional censorship is added (as pointed out usually do to cultural differences of what is acceptable in sexual content). That being said, the reason I buy the DVD is as a collector I want a pristine copy with the perfect & total footage & so the anime is supported. If I wanted chopped up I would just download it from one of the many sites pirating it.

Agreed. I'm also late to this post but I found it after doing a search on if ghoul is censored. The original art and gore is part of the story and I'm trying to find the uncensored somewhere. I don't have paid membership to funimation like I used to but I do want to sign up again IF doing so would let me watch shows uncensored (after they themselves get the uncensored versions, of course). So, since the DVDs or whatever have been released for tokyo ghoul, has Funimation since updated to the uncensored viewing for paid members? If so, I'd sign back up today.

• @CJ:

Also, because I see this misconception a lot, I just want to reiterate– spread the word-- FUNimation rarely, if ever, censors anime. We will very, very rarely choose to censor things for an American audience due to differences in society between Japan and America, so I don't want to say we NEVER censor anything. But, we did not censor ANYTHING in Tokyo Ghoul, or in the vast, vast majority of our titles.

So let me get this straight: You air uncensored content when it is available to you as dictated by your simulcasts' rights until you get the home-release version of the content, right? Would it be safe to assume that you actively seek the home-release version immediately upon its release in America and adjust your site content accordingly?

I don't mind steam-censoring and the like for things like Sekirei or Heaven's Lost Property before the home release version is acquired, since nudity isn't what people should be watching anime for, or rather, it isn't essential to the initial viewing experience. I was, however, a bit freaked out by the giant black blotches I saw when watching Tokyo Ghoul. I felt like I was being robbed of something in the beginning.

I got over it a bit, but I am definitely concerned about such censorship in the future. To the point where I started comparing rates and content to sites like crunchyroll and God forbid, Hulu Plus (I couldn't handle the commercials though, so the latter is highly unlikely). If you can convince me that I have nothing to fear in the future as far as content censorship, then I have no reason to look elsewhere, but this seems a bit important to me.

• @andrewjuel27:

So, since the DVDs or whatever have been released for tokyo ghoul, has Funimation since updated to the uncensored viewing for paid members? If so, I'd sign back up today.

no, the show is still the censored simulcast, nor has it been released on DVD/BD yet

• This is My two yen worth, so take it with a grain of salt. Funimation uses censoring as a method to make you want to buy the uncut versions. It's a simple method to make the consumer pay out for the uncensored variants. I don't know about other countries but there's literally dozens of pirate sites that give this anime for free (uncensored). When the main sites like this show censored versions of these great shows, just to make you buy the unedited versions. Smart pirates use The Freedom of Information Act and give the people what they want for FREE. You guys have a lot of great shows I just won't bother watching because of noted censoring.