The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

• Via ANN

Genres: comedy, science fiction, slice of life, supernatural
    Themes: school
    Objectionable content: Significant

Season 1 Synopsis: I thought that when I entered high school, my days of believing in aliens, time travelers and ESPers were going to be over. That is, until she introduced herself. Claiming to be interested in only aliens, time travelers, and ESPers, Haruhi Suzumiya was the strangest girl I've met in a long time…

Before I knew what's going on, I've been dragged into her weird club, and it looks like I'm not the only one who has been drafted into this "SOS Brigade" of hers, because there are three other students who don't seem to be so ordinary themselves.

Either way, we've all found ourselves caught up in Haruhi's quest to search for all things extraordinary. And what's this I hear about us making a movie?

Season 2 Synopsis: Haruhi continues her search for exciting ways to keep her world from being boring. Unfortunately, for Kyon and the rest of the SOS Brigade, they are forced to go along for the ride.

On the night of the Tanabata Star Festival, Kyon is transported back in time by Mikuru Asahina to what may be the source of what led Haruhi to search for aliens, time travelers, and espers. In the last two weeks of summer vacation, Haruhi leads the brigade on a dizzying list of summer time activities, eventually culminating in the brigade experiencing what they think is deja vu but they're actually re-living the same two weeks of summer over and over again. It's up to Kyon to figure out what's missing to get them out of their endless loop.

As fall rolls around, everyone prepares for the school arts festival, but Haruhi isn't content with their class's survey project. Instead, she hatches her own plan for the SOS Brigade to film and screen their own movie. Step behind the camera to see what went on to create the cinematic "masterpiece" that is The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00!

FUNimation announced at its Industry Panel at Otakon 2014 that they have acquired the rights to the following titles:

• Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 1
    • Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2
    • Haruhi Chan and Churuya San

Watch on Crunchyroll

• I've got Bandai's DVDs but if Funi's giving it the BD treatment I'll think about double dipping. I didn't see that they got Disappearance though. Did they?

• @Firefly:

I've got Bandai's DVDs but if Funi's giving it the BD treatment I'll think about double dipping. I didn't see that they got Disappearance though. Did they?

Most likely the previous licenser still has rights to Disappearance, once they release the seasons I expect they will license it then. I would buy a blu-ray release, Bandai Flooded the market with dvds of the first season.

• About time someone got this ive been waiting but I all ready have the dvds, Will with this dose that mean there getting Yuki-chan when it comes out

• I didn't get the DVDs until last year though I only got the first season and Disappearance I will get the second season and the others again if FUNI releases it on Blu-ray

• Is there any word on if the series will be released as season 1 and season 2… or will it get a proper release that has all of the episodes in chronological order... as season 2 by itself is pretty much garbage to own unless it's slotted properly into season 1 :/ (plus Season 2 is only worth like $20 by itself due to the garbage that is endless eight :/)

Mostly it would be nice to be able to legally watch Haruhi in chronological order without having to switch disks a lot... and would make it worth picking up the series again to me.

• @zulux21:

Is there any word on if the series will be released as season 1 and season 2… or will it get a proper release that has all of the episodes in chronological order... as season 2 by itself is pretty much garbage to own unless it's slotted properly into season 1 :/ (plus Season 2 is only worth like $20 by itself due to the garbage that is endless eight :/)

Mostly it would be nice to be able to legally watch Haruhi in chronological order without having to switch disks a lot... and would make it worth picking up the series again to me.

I agree that it makes sense to release it with the episodes in order, But don't forget there is like 28 episodes and it would get a two part release anyway. Your looking at endless eight wrong, you get to see Haruhi in different style swimsuits, lol

• @Chrisc:

I agree that it makes sense to release it with the episodes in order, But don't forget there is like 28 episodes and it would get a two part release anyway. Your looking at endless eight wrong, you get to see Haruhi in different style swimsuits, lol

a two part release is still fine, I just want the episodes in order as while the out of order original release was fun to watch when it came out, the show as a whole not only flows better in order but the second season works so much better in order.

As for Haruhi in different style swimsuits, that is fine and all but there is still 18 min of other mostly unchanged stuff in each of the 7 first episodes of endless eight @_@

• Already got the Bandai releases. Even if funi does a BD release I'll still pass most likely. Definitely a good show. Glade to see funi rescued it.

• Wasn't it Kadokawa Pictures USA that had the license for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Bandai was just the Distributor? On the back of the dvd's even for the movie it says released by Kadokawa Pictures USA.

• @Chrisc:

Wasn't it Kadokawa Pictures USA that had the license for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Bandai was just the Distributor? On the back of the dvd's even for the movie it says released by Kadokawa Pictures USA.

Looked into it further and that does indeed appear to be the case (same for Lucky Star). Bandai just helped with production and distribution.

• Does anyone know when they are going to release/sell The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

• @letumbringer:

Does anyone know when they are going to release/sell The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Do you mean re-release? I think it is available on Amazon (was some time ago). Or by "they" do you mean Funimation?

Do a search, here and on animation news network for the title. I think I remember something about a possible re-release. If I find something, I'll add to this post.
    I found nothing on a firm date as yet. Looks like funi does have the rights (along with lucky star).

• @letumbringer:

Does anyone know when they are going to release/sell The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

It's probably gonna be a while. They still have a lot of other Bandai licenses to get out before then. I wouldn't expect it any sooner than 2016, to be honest.

• Yeah, not holding my breath on anything coming out this year. I already have everything minus the Haruhi-chan/Churuya stuff. Depending on what FUNi does with their release would determine if I double dip on this stuff. Main thing being the episode order, if its in the 2009 broadcast order on the blu-rays then I'm sold, put me down for a preorder now.

• @LuckySeven:

Yeah, not holding my breath on anything coming out this year. I already have everything minus the Haruhi-chan/Churuya stuff. Depending on what FUNi does with their release would determine if I double dip on this stuff. Main thing being the episode order, if its in the 2009 broadcast order on the blu-rays then I'm sold, put me down for a preorder now.

Agreed. I myself only need the Haruhi-chan series, and I would only consider double-dipping for the 2009 broadcast order; simply because it would actually be a new video arrangement of the series proper, and would be a nice off-set to the Bandai release order.

I'd mostly want the movie on BD though, since it's stupid expensive right now for being OOP.

• I was sooo sure when I subscribed that I would be able to stream it. I was so blind that I felt that I saw the show in the "Shows list". I just figured out I was wrong when I was actually going to watch. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to wait sometime then.

• I hope Funimation licenses The Vanishing of Nagato Yuki-chan as well because I would like to add it the Haruhi collection

• I see the endless eight as intentional mental torment so the viewer can align with Nagato.

! That includes going crazy and tearing apart the world as you know it.
    (not that it actually works here)

EDIT: Fixed your spoiler tag. You had an extra "s" in there. -SH