Girls und Panzer Discussion Thread

• This is exactly how I felt about this show right after finishing the TV series:

http://www.nihonreview.com/anime/girls-und-panzer/

It's a fantastic show that has a lot more in it than you would expect at first glance, and even though I don't really like the whole "cute girls doing cute things"-type of shows, this one has great pacing and intense tank battles (with actual, real tank tactics). The fact that the show is also incredibly accurate with its tank info/modelling is just icing on the cake. If you haven't seen this show, or dismissed it when it first came out for its outlandish premise, I suggest you check it out.

The show will be available from Sentai Filmworks on December 3rd and will have an English dub (actually looks pretty promising thus far considering they have Janice Williams as ADR Director - who ADR directed Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Clannad after episode 13).

http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Und-Panzer-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00EZ228GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381851939&sr=8-1&keywords=girls+und+panzer

• I agree wholeheartedly. I found out about Girls und Panzer from a late night /k/ thread and ended up watching it all in 2 days. Despite the near-complete lack of an original (or even good) story, the characters and tank battles kept me entertained through it all. Definitely one of my favorites.

• I'm getting the series for Christmas, also pre-ordered the OVA. I love the whole moe military stuff :D

Also heard they are getting a game for vita if it anything like world of tanks then it going to be EPIC
    http://moewars.blogspot.com/2013/11/girls-und-panzer-get-vita-game.html

• Sentai is streaming the dub and RightStuf has already started shipping this but I haven't seen it. Gotta build my moe tolerance back up as Sentai's AKB0048 obliterated it. Moe Meltdown.

I'm concerned about some things I've heard about the show in terms of realism, first among them being the tank shells. I've heard that things get wonky with their explanation as to how high school girls, who look like they should be in elementary school, can handle tank shells with ease. There's only so much BS I can take in these sort of shows, and I think that I'm still past the limit after Gainax's Airsoft Show and the "hero shields" that all the singers in AKB0048 had.

• This post is deleted!

• I got my Blu-ray in the mail but I don't get to see it until I get it christmas. Can't wait.

Wish I could pre-order the game but don't have the money right now

• The show was a bit cutesy for me, but I still enjoyed it. As long as I kept my disbelief suspended. I doubt some of those tanks could even be driven by little girls, let alone operating the main guns on even the smaller ones, and driving one tank on top of another almost killed me. Not to mention the maintenance team. Tanks parts are stupidly heavy, and I didn't see a crane.

Tank rant aside, its a show about high school girls driving tanks. Leave your "why" and your "physics" at the door, and its a few hours of a good time.

-CoD

• …I'm rather underwhelmed by the dub. This is a show that is not to be taken seriously, that doesn't take itself seriously and isn't shy about it, but the dub doesn't seem to be on board with that. I'll still watch it, if for nothing else, for the return of the original Excel Excel to TX dubbing, but I'm feeling kinda let down so far.

This show is ridiculous and it knows it, and it should have gotten a dub at least as "embracing of the ridiculous" as was the last Sentai dub of such a show, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.

• I liked the dub because 90% of Miho's lines in the script were some variation of 'Huh?'

• That's entirely wrong, Getchman. They state right in the show that they use LIVE AMMUNITION. They just have some sort of Special plating on the takes that helps protect them. I'm not entirely sure what they called it.

Also the Dub was just awfully plain and boring in my opinion. And the crappy MIDI they used instead of Katyusha is inexcusable. They should have fought harder for the rights because that entire Arc was destroyed by that choice.

• so everything else that happened in that battle with Pravda is means nothing to you now because of one little song not being there?

• its not even because Katyusha is missing… the fact that they used Korobeiniki, the song from Tetris, as their replacement shows how lazy the decision was. The Katyusha song was the most entertaining nonbattle scene of the arc, and its a damn shame fans won't get to experience it. The word part is many won't even know why they were missing.

• @ArmyofDarkness:

its not even because Katyusha is missing… the fact that they used Korobeiniki, the song from Tetris, as their replacement shows how lazy the decision was. The Katyusha song was the most entertaining nonbattle scene of the arc, and its a damn shame fans won't get to experience it. The word part is many won't even know why they were missing.

"Korobeiniki" existed as a folk song long before Tetris used a synth version. I don't think it was ever made clear whether the change was made by Sentai or Actas (or another company on the Production Committee).

• that is true, Korobeiniki was a folk song first. But I think its lost a lot of that air since the Nintendo version of tetris. you could have chosen countless other songs, but they went with the most obvious and boring option.

• I only watched 2 episodes and there a few voices I fell could of been better selected but I can tell compared to there other animes that they actually worked hard dubbing this one. I'm hoping they didn't mess around with there dubbing like Kill Me Baby.

• I tried watching this one dubbed, I really did. I'm a huge fan of dubs and of Sentai Filmworks but to continue watching this dubbed would be to torture myself and I'm not OK with that. This has been the only Sentai release that I've heard that I would recommend subbed and IMO that's a tragedy.

On Ikki Tousen:Great Guardians, I believe Jonathan Klein stated that he decided to rewrite the script to take out large portions of the innuendo as the visuals were raunchy enough. This helped explain why that dub was fairly weak as far as "dubs of raunchy shows" go (it didn't hold a candle to Aesthetica or DxD). I would like to know why Janice Williams decided to play this show very seriously, despite it being pretty open about how silly it is, and why she OK'd the very flat, emotionless acting from much of the cast.

This still feels like I'm watching the same characters from K-On!. I guess once you've seen the definitive "cute girls doing cute things cutely" show, you've seen 'em all.

• @sidereal_presence:

I tried watching this one dubbed, I really did. I'm a huge fan of dubs and of Sentai Filmworks but to continue watching this dubbed would be to torture myself and I'm not OK with that. This has been the only Sentai release that I've heard that I would recommend subbed and IMO that's a tragedy.

All I remember from that dub is that I was thinking about making a compilation video of every single time Miho made some variation of 'huh?'

It would've gone about five minutes, I think

• @Riles:

All I remember from that dub is that I was thinking about making a compilation video of every single time Miho made some variation of 'huh?'

It would've gone about five minutes, I think

5 minutes might be an underestimation lol.

I've spoken with Janice Williams (as has likely everyone who has gone to the Sentai Filmworks booth at a convention) and she seems cool which is why I'm mystified about how this dub is pretty broken.

• the insane speed in which they are forced to dub everything would be my guess

• Not a very good excuse. Most anime and dubs are under the same time restraints and are better than this. Sentai's Girls und Panzer release continues to this day surprise me how terrible it is. Maybe I had too much faith in it or was over excited because it was my AOTY 2012, but it completely disappointed me.

I just noticed the other day that they call the StuG III a Panzer III for christ sake, and continue from there calling it an Assault III. This error is present in both dub and sub form and is completely unacceptable. Sure, in Japanese they call the Sturmgeschütz 突撃 (Totsugeki) which then translates to Assault in English, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a god damn StuG! There is no reason for it to be called an Assault III in the Dub or Sub as there is literally no Tank called an Assault III. This information is not even hard to find, and just shows how little effort they actually put into this.

If I could, I would send my copy of GuP back to the Sentai Filmworks office buidling, but I can't seem to find a consistent address that is assigned to them. I'd like to let them know how disgusted I am with them, as they butchered this show to the point that all the fun has been sucked out of it. The cherry on the top is how ignorant and happy that other fans seem to be about this release when its just a total FUBAR product.

• I don't know what else to blame it on other than it being another rush job. According to J. Michael Tatum, from start to finish, he worked on Steins:Gate for 6 months. which seems to be the normal length of time for a 24-26 episode show. so it would be safe to assume that a show half the length takes about 3 months to completely dub. I recall one of Justin's early answerman columns, from when he took over, that he heard directly from VAs who worked on NO. 6, I think, that they recorded at breakneck speeds, completing it under a month. He specifically said that is way too fast, and not the normal pace everyone else works at. Sentai, for whatever reason, is rushing everything, and the results are very mixed