Funimation dvd/box set pricing?

• I am confused as to WHY funimation's website "shop" is DRASTICALLY overpriced compared to other online retailers? Just price checking around online for 3 series I wish to purchase (thinking of taking the cake3 offer to get a 4th series of equal or lesser value for free) but already without that offer the difference is close to $40.00!!! so…really what's the point of the offer if the mark up is so high that it will equal out to the same price whether I buy FOUR series from funimation WITH their cake3 offer or wether I buy FOUR series from another online retailer and have it come out to the same price with free shipping? I'm just curious as to how they price their DVD/Box set items, because to me this doesn't make much sense....the ONLY series that I have seen that funimation has a cheaper price on is "Deadman Wonderland". Me thinks they should drastically fix their pricing if they wish to get business from interested anime fans....otherwise the other retailers will get the business which means a smaller profit goes to funimation. Just some thoughts.

• The prices at FUNimation's Shop are set price at 25% off the suggested retail price.

I would not consider that DRASTICALLY overpriced since some places charge full retail.

With the Buy 3, Get 1 Free sale, the discount can go up to 43.75% of retail and it should be noted that Pre-orders are not valid with promo codes CAKE3, CAKE6 or CAKE9.

• They are the reasonably priced ones, Aniplex of America is overpriced trust me on this I had to get a series I wanted on DVD only just because the Blu-Rays were 90 dollars each and there were four parts.

• @shadowking01:

They are the reasonably priced ones, Aniplex of America is overpriced trust me on this I had to get a series I wanted on DVD only just because the Blu-Rays were 90 dollars each and there were four parts.

I know which you mean… At least they dubbed it, but the prices form them are so... early 2000's.... Still waiting to try to get a deal on them.

But yeah, the FUNimation shop is still cheaper then retail, though I do tend to shop around, each place has good deals at different times. And they are still cheaper than releases from other companies that don't even do the Blu-Ray/DVD combos.

• I understand that funimation discounts from the "suggested retail price" however MOST other Online retailers DO NOT CHARGE "suggested retail price" either (most retailers online or otherwise don't), that is a term used in sales and marketing to make customers feel like they are getting a good deal when purchasing an item, retailers (smart ones anyway) NEVER sell the items at "suggested retail price" because they are already buying the merchandise in large wholesale quantities which FURTHER lowers the savings they're getting from the distributor from their "seller pricing" on the merchandise and can therefore LOWER the "suggested retail price" when selling to buyers/customers and STILL make a decent profit on the items. My issue here was that when other WELL KNOWN online retailers are selling the products on funimation's shop for FAR less than what FUNIMATION is "pricing" the merchandise at and the PRICE equals the SAME for FOUR series (BLU-RAY/DVD combos) whether you buy them from FUNIMATION (DISTRIBUTOR OF SAID MERCHANDISE) WITH A COUPON CODE, or whether you buy them from another well known/established online retailer WITHOUT a coupon code then something is wrong with the pricing or supposed "deal" they are promoting.

Logically if FUNIMATION is the Distributor for the merchandise then they have the direct SUPPLY of the goods and that should cut out some of the "middle man costs" associated with any mark up they have when selling their OWN merchandise. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would have to be directly competing against another online retailer for their OWN merchandise and have to use "coupons" and "sales" to make up for the difference of costs when competing with another retailer. If they fixed their pricing to match/reflect the true market price of the merchandise directly to compete with other online retailers they could get more business from their "online Shop" and wouldn't have to rely on marketing gimmicks and coupons to get a profit. At least that's the way I'm seeing it, Maybe they feel that not too many people/customers price check for their products and feel that just because they're products are still under "suggested retail" it's fine and wish to squeeze as much as they can out of the "mark up" they put on said products, but to me they're losing business because the only time the products are at "true market value" (what someone will pay for a product, which is usually the best price they can find online or otherwise) is when they have "specials" or "deals" or "promotions" whereas other retailers are constantly getting the business without "specials" or "deals" or "promotions" solely based on their "market price" of the merchandise (and in some cases if you shop with online retailer/store often they will give you extra deals/percents off and most offer free shipping with minimum site purchase which means you save even more money).

Those were just my thoughts on it and I think as the DISTRIBUTOR of the merchandise FUNIMATION'S online shop could work on their "pricing" and marketing campaigns a little more. Either way I'm still a huge anime fan and regardless of WHO get's my money I'm still contributing to the "anime business", I just figured by directly giving my money to FUNIMATION instead of another wholesaler they would get a better profit margin (:>/)

• Sad to tell you this but it is what it is because the simple logical reason is that those other retailers buy it in bulks that they get a discount on the bulk merchandise which in terms allows them to give a good discount. Another factor is you're not saying which online places you are shopping because I know with rightstuf the discount can range anywhere from 20-40% of the MSRP and amazon discounts ranges from 5-60% off the MSRP (depending on sales because their prices is always up and down) The thing about most only sellers you just have to catch them on good sales for example the AoT CE is 96.74 that is 25% off the MSRP but during Anime expo or AX they had an additional 10% coupon people could use which those who watched the panel stream and attended the con knew about which was only good for AX weekend so instead of paying 96.74 for the CE of AoT I will pay 87.07 for it. All in all it is all about catching the right sale that is it.

• @Mephisto_333:

Logically if FUNIMATION is the Distributor for the merchandise then they have the direct SUPPLY of the goods and that should cut out some of the "middle man costs" associated with any mark up they have when selling their OWN merchandise. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would have to be directly competing against another online retailer for their OWN merchandise and have to use "coupons" and "sales" to make up for the difference of costs when competing with another retailer. If they fixed their pricing to match/reflect the true market price of the merchandise directly to compete with other online retailers they could get more business from their "online Shop" and wouldn't have to rely on marketing gimmicks and coupons to get a profit. At least that's the way I'm seeing it, Maybe they feel that not too many people/customers price check for their products and feel that just because they're products are still under "suggested retail" it's fine and wish to squeeze as much as they can out of the "mark up" they put on said products, but to me they're losing business because the only time the products are at "true market value" (what someone will pay for a product, which is usually the best price they can find online or otherwise) is when they have "specials" or "deals" or "promotions" whereas other retailers are constantly getting the business without "specials" or "deals" or "promotions" solely based on their "market price" of the merchandise (and in some cases if you shop with online retailer/store often they will give you extra deals/percents off and most offer free shipping with minimum site purchase which means you save even more money).

If FUNimation were to fixed their pricing to match/reflect the "true market price" of the merchandise, then those retailers would not buy any of FUNimation's merchandise because they would think that FUNi is undercutting them on purpose and FUNi probably makes more money from them then their shop.

And the FUNi shop does offer free shipping if you you spend $50+ in the US.

• @kaishino and JlaKing, those are both valid points. Amazon was one of the retailers I was talking about and as Jlaking pointed out perhaps they don't wish to get into a pricing war with third party sellers who buy their products? (or maybe the other companies are too big for them to compete with?) I was just trying to figure out why as a distributor they weren't more accommodating to the customers on their site shop. As a fan of the anime funimation imports as well as their dubbing quality I would like to give their company a bigger profit when possible, however that's difficult when their own products are being undercut by as much as 40-60% off of what funimation's shop pricing is. I was merely trying to understand their thinking on it, but maybe they are unable to price their own merchandise at the reasonable market values other shops sell the same products at due to some myriad of circumstances that go on behind the scenes. Either way thanks for the input and points of view as there a number of things to consider when pondering these sorts of questions, the more eyes on a problem the better the understanding of it becomes.

• Buying from any legitimate retailer still ultimately supports FUNi. For instance, if RightStuf sells enough copies of FUNi products, then they will order more based on demand. From that perspective, it doesn't really matter to FUNi where you buy their products, as long as they are on the receiving end.

• yeah, I know FUNIMATION probably gets their share from when the seller buys the merch. in bulk quantities, but then the sellers get the discounted price already under the MSRP which is why they're able to undercut FUNI. by so much. I was just thinking of a way that FUNIMATION could reap a little more of a profit margin on their end and as a fan of their products I was trying to bring up ways that they could get more of the profit directly while appeasing the fans and allow for a more direct purchasing option as the distributor of the merchandise. I believe it's better to support the originator of the product directly when possible but I can sort of understand why they branch out to third party retailers as well…It's better as a customer to have more options and helps with the availability of the products we wish to purchase....I just felt that FUNIMATION could do a little better on their pricing and the marketing aspects of their site. The site is still relatively new and they were having major server issues at the beginning and they still seem to be changing things, I just hope by fans/customers bringing up questions like these it will help to improve the overall site/shop/navigation aspects.

• Their prices are honestly justified if you look at other retailers that gives those discounts but you have to consider do those retailers just sell mainly anime..no they sell more than just anime where as the funimation shop is majority anime with a few merchandise such as shirts now. Rightstuf does deal with majority anime but they also sell pvc figures, wallets, keychains, cellphone straps, action figures, manga etc.. and amazon they have too much of things they are selling so they can give those kinds of discounts on anime you have to look at the bigger picture instead of the one category if that make any sense logically.

• Heck, the FUNimation Channel promotes buying their products via RightStuf! during commercial breaks in lieu of their own website, if that tells you anything.

• @falconeml:

Heck, the FUNimation Channel promotes buying their products via RightStuf! during commercial breaks in lieu of their own website, if that tells you anything.

That is because Right Stuf pays the FUNimation Channel for those commercials and Olympusat Inc. runs the FUNimation Channel.

• hmm. that's interesting, I didn't know Right Stuf was advertising on the FUNimation channel ( I don't watch tv, I just stream online) for FUNimation products. I just find that odd, but again maybe there's a bunch of "deals" and "contractual agreements" and what not going on that we don't know about? (I.E. promotional licensing on the FUNimation channel when Right stuf purchased the merchandise as part of the deal?) I would think FUNimation would want to promote direct marketing and sales when possible to glean more of a profit share or at least get better margins for their customer base, esp. on their own channel?