Black Butler Book of Circus English dubbed voice actor…

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22jx3PNxr0

FUNimation to cast the original English dubbed voice actors and what I think who should be playing who in season three of Black Butler…

Cast:
    J. Michael Tatum - Sebastian Michaelis
    Brina Palencia - Ciel Phantomhive
    Monica Rial - Mey-Rin
    Finnian - Jason Liebrecht
    Baldroy - Ian Sinclair
    Tanaka - Robert Bruce Elliott
    Undertaker - John Swasey
    Lau - Jerry Jewell
    Ran-Mao - Trina Nishimura
    Queen Victoria - Alexis Tipton
    Ronald Knox - Joel McDonald
    William T. "Will, Suit" Spears - Barry Yandell
    Grell Sutcliff - Daniel Fredrick
    Charles Phipps - TV's Christopher Sabat
    Joker - Newton Pittman
    Beast - Jamie Marchi
    Doll - Carrie Savage
    Snake - Greg Ayres - Voice & Music
    Peter - Ryan Reynolds
    Wendy - Jad Saxton Voice Actress
    Dagger - Eric Vale
    Jumbo - David Wald
    Grey Charles - Bryce Papenbrook

• You know where this goes…

• Right. This belongs in the Black Butler thread, so that's where it goes.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Right. This belongs in the Black Butler thread, so that's where it goes.

Yes, well whoever plays who for the new characters 'or some to get right' and the rest being the others, it'll be fun. I heard this one is very good.

• I love black butler!!!!!!!! :d

• I'm not a huge fan of this franchise but I am aware of its popularity. Strong sales for Funimation can help bring in $ to maybe license other anime I'm interested in. :P

I have watched some episodes (dub & sub) but this anime just isn't for me and that's ok, there are plenty of fans who do like it. :)

Regardless of plot and actual content I do like to analyze the voice acting of anime dubs.

This is just my opinion (some will disagree and that's fine) but I honestly don't think the dub for the Black Butler franchise is very good… In fact I think it's one of Funimation's weaker efforts

Reasons:

1. Try as hard as they might, majority of the cast don't have convincing accents. Maybe hardcore fans have higher tolerance levels (or are big enough fans of certain VAs to be forgiving/accepting) but iffy accents are jarring for me and rather than attempting to be believable characters it comes across as some VAs trying and struggling or aren't aware that they aren't doing the best job even though they have the energy and enthusiasm...

2. Ian Sinclair is a decent actor but I don't think he's a very good ADR Director... It's a shame Colleen Clinkenbeard didn't direct this franchise's dub completely as I think it would be an overall improvement. Her directing history isn't flawless of course (nobody's is) but she's more reliable and consistent.

Prior to the first season the only full ADR Director credits Ian Sinclair had was the Initial D franchise (redub). While Funimation's dub is uncut and more faithful than the old Tokyopop dub I've read many comments where fans of the franchise prefer the voice acting of the California cast.

I suppose I'm confused why such a high profile title like Black Butler (that later turned into a growing & successful anime franchise) was left in the hands of a man with little ADR directing experience and I have a hard time believing his Initial D work wowed Funimation producers & line producers to land him the job. Most likely a case of all other ADR Directors being busy with other shows at the time so they took a chance on a newbie or he's just a likable guy who has strong schmooze skills.

I once watched a youtube video of one of Chris Ayres's convention panels and he says the reason he got the role of Soma was because the original actor who was cast (name not given) turned out to be a terrible fit. IIRC Chris said that actor had a REALLY goofy sounding Indian accent so then the ADR Director (Ian) ran to Chris and begged him to take the role and be the replacement. Chris Ayres having a reputation for being a very talented actor who actually is good at speaking with believable accents (e.g. his Russian accent in Case Closed: The Last Wizard of the Century) The point of this little story is that why did this situation happen at all? Did Ian even know what he was doing when casting? Maybe some of the cast should never have gotten their roles or at least could have used better voice direction.

@tmdrago:

FUNimation to cast the original English dubbed voice actors and what I think who should be playing who in season three of Black Butler…

Cast:
    Monica Rial - Mey-Rin
    Baldroy - Ian Sinclair
    Undertaker - John Swasey
    Lau - Jerry Jewell
    Joker - Newton Pittman
    Beast - Jamie Marchi
    Doll - Carrie Savage
    Peter - Ryan Reynolds
    Dagger - Eric Vale
    Jumbo - David Wald

IMO David Wald is the best voice actor in Texas; whether you need a deep masculine voice or a calm fatherly tone of voice. If he was cast in season 3, he can help make the dub better.

Jamie Marchi is also a excellent voice actress and she did a good job with British accents in the past (Ophelia in Romeo x Juliet and Liliana in Last Exile Fam, the Silver Wing). Actually somewhat confusing she wasn't cast in this show previously when her accent and acting skills are arguably better than those who got cast for notable characters… So yeah, if she voices Beast I'm not complaining, I think she would be a good fit.

• Good point. I guess whatever happens in making this to be done, either way will be good too.

• @tmdrago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M22jx3PNxr0

Cast:
    Monica Rial - Mey-Rin
    Baldroy - Ian Sinclair
    Undertaker - John Swasey
    Lau - Jerry Jewell
    Joker - Newton Pittman
    Beast - Jamie Marchi
    Doll - Carrie Savage
    Peter - Ryan Reynolds
    Dagger - Eric Vale
    Jumbo - David Wald

I agree with your cast list - I really just want the man characters that were in the first two seasons to remain the same, but I do like your other characters. Honestly, I can't wait for the dubbed version to come out, as it's hard for me to watch the subbed version hearing different voices and not being able to look away from the screen while watching.

• I just wanna know when I can watch it in. English!!!!

• Is there any plans to dub this arc??? Please pleasee Funimation!!!!

• Although nothing official has been said, it is almost a certainty that FUNimation will dub it.

It might be a while, however, considering Aniplex will more than likely want to tamper with it.

• I would willingly wait for Funimation to dub Black Butler: Book of Circus before i even think of watching the sub just due to the matching of voices of the characters in the show.

• Do you have any knowledge to when Black Butler: Book of Circus Dub episodes will be released onto Funimation?

• @emilynoelrose18:

Do you have any knowledge to when Black Butler: Book of Circus Dub episodes will be released onto Funimation?

No news at this time.

• When will the dub come out, why haven't I heard anything? SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME! I NEED IT

• @shayislost:

When will the dub come out, why haven't I heard anything? SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME! I NEED IT

The DVD release comes out on April 19th.

• @SpacemanHardy:

The DVD release comes out on April 19th.

Will that DVD release have Book Of Circus English dubbed?

• . . . I really have no idea what that one person's talking about, saying the dub is bad. Black Butler is one of the most quality dubs ever, particularly out of the past few years (though it's more than a few years old at this point…)
    I would say FMA'03 and Code Geass are the best dubs of the '00s and Black Butler and K are the best of this decade so far... not just because they're some of my top 10-ish series. There are ones in my top 10 that I hate the dubs for... but these are quality.
    The acting flows well, and adds to the characters, instead of just copying the Japanese voices. You can tell they really care. I can't think of a single performance I had a problem with.
    For this season, besides the fact that the animation is loads better, all of the voices in that trailer sound amazing.
    Joker. Wow. Wow.

. . . I'm surprised no one's asked the question I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking of... regarding a later episode in Book of Circus and a scene that wasn't in the manga... I'm not going to ask it though.

• I noticed the dub is up for Book Of Circus, but so far only two, I can't find it on simulcast list or in the schedule so i was wondering if anyone knows what days a new dubbed episode will be up :(

• @tishmarie:

I noticed the dub is up for Book Of Circus, but so far only two, I can't find it on simulcast list or in the schedule so i was wondering if anyone knows what days a new dubbed episode will be up :(

Funimation likes to tease their fans by giving us a couple of episodes about a month before release. We'll get the rest on release day.