Aldnoah.Zero

• Plot:

In 1972, the Apollo 17 mission discovered a hypergate to Mars on the surface of the moon. Soon a war breaks out between Earth and Mars, and Martian soldiers begin to descend from the sky, riding steel giants, intent on exterminating humanity.

Available for streaming on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, and Hulu.

First episode was okay. I liked the music, and it looks good.

! Inaho was super calm about the whole incoming missile thing.
    ! No surprise that the cute and innocent princess appears to have been killed (but was she really?). I have a feeling that the attackers were working for those Knights since the Knights seemed so eager for a fight.
    ! Poor New Orleans. Wiped out so soon.

• Such a grim atmosphere. Looks promising.

! I'm not entirely convinced the princess is dead. In would be so unlike Urobuchi to kill off an important character in such an impersonal manner.
    ! And WTF New Orleans! I finally get to see my home city in an anime only for it to get nuked in 10 seconds. Ugh!

• Episode 1 was rather generic. Except for the haunted war vet who chugs booze on the job, I didn't find any of the characters to be interesting. :(

I'm not sure about the art in this one. I thought that the wonkiness might be for an in-show reason but it didn't seem to be.

Maybe it'll get better…?

• I've seen a lot of people making Gundam comparisons, and I can totally see that. But loosely affiliated military clans invading the Earth with giant robots in order to vie for supremacy amongst themselves? This is like friggin Mechwarrior: the Anime.

The actual episode was kinda clunky. Lots of "As you know" exposition and Disaffected Youth. Blonde Suzaku was the most interesting thing in the episode and he only got like 5 mins of screentime. I'm not totally sold on this yet, but I think I'm on board. There's definitely interesting places to take the setup, and it's got a strong creative staff. They even pulled in Takako Shimura of Aoi Hana fame to do the character designs.

• I liked the first ep. Music was good. Seems to me that those old dudes in the fortresses were the ones who actually planned to have the Princess who wanted peace, "killed". I doubt she's actually dead but ya never know. Inoha not even flinching to the fact a missile was inbound was mildly humorous to me. Most would probably flip out but he just stood there as if nothing was happening.

• @Renzokuken:

This is like friggin Mechwarrior: the Anime.

The MechWarrior similarities make this show better than it would be on its own, though the Inner Sphere at least put up some resistance when attacked initially, and the attack was from enemies unknown, while in this show Earth knew of the enemy hanging overhead and was still utterly roflstomped. Surprised to see some MW/anime fandom crossover.

Would it be too much to ask for the drunkard to be the main character instead of any of the sullen youth that were in ep 1? Having a mecha show with a lead who left high school in the rear-view a long time ago would be rather revolutionary, which is supposed to be the Urobutcher's thing so I'm hoping-against hope-that we get a sort of Adam Steiner figure to lead instead of yet another punk kid.

I can kinda see the Gundam comparisons but the first anime that I thought of that shared a portion of the premise was Trinity Blood.

• Think there is any chance of Funi or someone lese putting it out on DVD?

• @Enigma:

Think there is any chance of Funi or someone lese putting it out on DVD?

Nope. Aniplex of America already licensed it.

So that means $10 an episode prices, I'm afraid. :hmm:

• @SpacemanHardy:

Nope. Aniplex of America already licensed it.

So that means $10 an episode prices, I'm afraid. :hmm:

Oh, I thought that was just the soundtrack.. I thought Aniplex did DVD releases, at least they did at one time.. Streaming is great if you have the Net connection to do it, but for most the country outside of cities that's not an option..

• ^ Oh, they'll put it out for home release all right. But it'll more than likely be sub-only and will cost you around $120 for only 12 episodes.

• This show went from average to complete garbage by second half. I'm only watching this terrible show for Suzaku…er Lelouch idk Slaine and a couple martian side characters.

Gary Kaizuka is way too god-modded and has the personality of a robot

! which he is technically now since his mechanical whatever engine has taken over most of his brain. Not that it makes any difference anyways cause he never had an real personality to begin with

Easiest 2/10 I've ever given might be the easiest 1/10 depending on the finale tomorrow.

The only pros I can think of is the OST and mech designs for the martians sadly we only get to see a brief glimpse of what they do before Robo-kun magically knows the way to destroy them. rolls eyes If I do get anything from this show it will definitely be the OST I love Sawano's works.

Edit: Also limited fanservice is a pro

• I dunno if I'd watch two full seasons of a show if I honestly thought it was a 1/10…

• Hmm I wanted to watch this but if Aniplex has it…......

You will need a large bank account.

• @edwinca93:

Hmm I wanted to watch this but if Aniplex has it…......

You will need a large bank account.

Sadly that is true. But personally its going to be a show that's worth it. More so to me if they dub it too. they do that and any show they have I like is pretty much an instant buy for me.

• @Dragon0:

Sadly that is true. But personally its going to be a show that's worth it. More so to me if they dub it too. they do that and any show they have I like is pretty much an instant buy for me.

Awe yes someone who enjoys dubs! I agree, I will more than likely try buy it if they dub it. I like mecha style anime, this and Total Eclipse looks good. I would buy their other titles granted there's enough money laying around.

• Honestly, the first few shows were great with the music and the fight scenes but…the second season was a let down. Asseylum was stupid and annoying the whole time. Poor Slaine never got a break and was framed in the end. Inaho was ....well Inaho...