Why is HTTPS still not supported?

• even a basic system like HTTPS Everywhere simply stops the video's from playing at all.
    Given the not so recent info pertaining to agencies mass mining user data from unsecured connection across the internet, this problem should have been addressed over a year ago. Its rather annoying to have to close my funimation page where i'm watching anime if i need to open a tab/window to go anywhere else.

• Because the player needs to know your location. I haven't really looked into the feature because it hasn't been mentioned much by other users, but I can see if such a thing is possible.

Also, I know that this wasn't your concern, but please do rest assured, however, that your personal information is not saved on the site. The player only checks for your role and it checks for your location using your IP. The information that is transmitted to Google Analytics by the video player includes your location and the player's configuration, but this information is not personally identifiable. Google Analytics knows that someone in the U.S. watched an episode of Soul Eater in the Subscription player, but it doesn't know anything about the person that viewed the episode, for example.

Your financial and other personal information used in purchasing a subscription is not saved on FUNimation.com at all nor is it transmitted while you are watching videos nor navigating the site.

• There's this too that may address being able to surf other sites with https and keep our as http so you can stream (I realize that part 2 of this answer is pointed at us ~_^):

Q. What if HTTPS Everywhere breaks some part of a site I use?
    A. This is occasionally possible because of inconsistent support for HTTPS on sites (e.g., when a site seems to support HTTPS access but makes a few, unpredictable, parts of the site unavailable in HTTPS). If you report the problem to us, we can try to fix it. In the meantime, you can disable the rule affecting that particular site in your own copy of HTTPS Everywhere (by going into the Tools->Add Ons->HTTPS Everywhere->Preferences dialog and unchecking the rule for that site).

You can also report the problem to the site, since they have the power to fix it by making their HTTPS support better, and since making all their site resources available in HTTPS improves their security. However, some site operators may respond that using their sites with a tool like HTTPS Everywhere is not officially supported.

• @Sophie:

There's this too that may address being able to surf other sites with https and keep our as http so you can stream (I realize that part 2 of this answer is pointed at us ~_^):

Q. What if HTTPS Everywhere breaks some part of a site I use?
    A. This is occasionally possible because of inconsistent support for HTTPS on sites (e.g., when a site seems to support HTTPS access but makes a few, unpredictable, parts of the site unavailable in HTTPS). If you report the problem to us, we can try to fix it. In the meantime, you can disable the rule affecting that particular site in your own copy of HTTPS Everywhere (by going into the Tools->Add Ons->HTTPS Everywhere->Preferences dialog and unchecking the rule for that site).

You can also report the problem to the site, since they have the power to fix it by making their HTTPS support better, and since making all their site resources available in HTTPS improves their security. However, some site operators may respond that using their sites with a tool like HTTPS Everywhere is not officially supported.

heh .. since Funimation isn't in the list i can't disable it :)
    Interesting.
    Edit
    Now i noticed that i cannot access the site using VPN either. This completely makes the site useless except when i am sitting at home since only an idiot uses public access wifi without VPN security.

• Resurrecting an old thread here, I found this while performing a Google search for this exact same issue. The video player is blacked out while HTTPS Everywhere is enabled. Just wanted to post my results in case anyone else finds this post the same way. Unchecking the EdgeCast Networks rule fixes the issue and allows video to be played again.