This is The End Beautiful Friends…

• I've been thinking about doing this for awhile now, so hear goes…

You all know it's true, for the past couple of years I've done nothing but get grumpier & grumpier when it comes to anime. I hate that fact, but it's true, and you know what that's just not fair to the rest of you, so I've decided to stop being so stubborn & give up the goat. That is to say, I'm done, I hand in my otaku card, revoke my anime/Funi club membership.

Now I know what your thinking, oh Monkey, stop being a drama queen. And OK maybe I am abit of one, but my words are sincere. The honest truth is there was a time when I genuinly loved anime & manga, I was excited to interact with the fanbase, learn about new shows and manga series, but sadly over the past 6 years that light has dulled and the bulb has died, I've grown to despise a community I was once excited to be a part of, I've come to loath the way most fans act, and I've grown apathetic or pessimistic to most of what the medium has produced since around 2005 or so.. Anime use to bring me joy, now it mostly brings me pain, and at the end of the day weather it's anime, games, movies, comics, etc, entertainment media is made to well, entertain, bring you joy, I can't say anime does that for anymore. But nor can I say I'll give it up altogether, I'm a fan of the art, stories & joy animation can bring, there will be anime I will always love, that won't change. But I can't be active in this community anymore, it's too toxic for me, which in turn makes me pointlessly toxic to others, and again that's not fair to any of you.

So yea, I'm tired of the pointless arguments. Tired of being the one that's the bad guy because he doesn't agree with the modern fan mind set, being accused of being a white knight or an "elitist" because he doesn't feel comfortable viewing certain kinds of content. So, no more.

I love animation, I love what anime is capable of.... But what the medium and community for it have become brakes my heart, I can't visit ANN, Funi, Crunchy, etc without dying a little inside.

I'm only 23, but the current state of Anime & Manga industry/community make me feel like a confused, frightened, senile old man at a heavy metal concert... It just isn't my scene anymore it seems...

So Renzo, Neon, Firefly, DragonO, David, JLA, GYT, Hardy, Riles,etc. I just wanted to say thanks, even though we disagreed on some things, all you guys are awesome! Funi Forums is still one of my fav forums, even if I don't care much for the company that runs it anymore. XD

Anywho. Maybe our paths will cross again someday, but for now... This is The End Beautiful Friends! BANG.

-SoundMonkey44 Signing off. Peace! ;)

• Can't fault you for doing this, just keep looking till you find something you love.

The world isn't static, I wouldn't be surprised if our paths cross in the future, but till then I'll wish you the best.

-Guess I fall under the ect category :P.

• I haven't been on these forums for that long so I haven't gotten to know you, but you seem nice (especially for leaving such a long friendly post and leaving things on a good note. you must have been here for a while to have over 2000 posts (you're currently holding the record for most posts) o.o
    I hope you find a similar form of fun entertainment like anime that you enjoy or that you end up coming back here after a break.
    Have Fun :)

• Don't care much for these kinds of threads, but see you 'round, Sound.

• Sorry to see you leave, Sound, but if you aren't enjoying yourself then it's for the best.

Good luck in your future endeavors and know that if you ever want to return to anime and the community then the door's always open. :)

• Psh, you're still young. You don't have the right to be a jaded old man yet :P

But, I can certainly understand where you're coming from. I have very similar feelings towards the gaming community, and have all but exiled myself from it over the years.

I'm still sorry to see you go. You're a prolific voice here on these little forums, it definitely won't be the same place without you. Feel free to drop me a PM, or hit me up on twitter if you feel the urge to watch some good Chinese Cartoons again.

• @Soundmonkey44:

You all know it's true, for the past couple of years I've done nothing but get grumpier & grumpier when it comes to anime. I hate that fact, but it's true, and you know what that's just not fair to the rest of you, so I've decided to stop being so stubborn & give up the goat. That is to say, I'm done, I hand in my otaku card, revoke my anime/Funi club membership.

Oh no you don't, Soundmonkey44. You think you can act like an elitist and believe we're offended by your viewpoints? Not so fast:

!

So don't worry, we'll wait for ya. It'll be like you never left! ~_^

• Well, see you around then; do as you will.

Send me a message if you have something you want to talk about.

• Bit late on replying to this it seems, but here goes. We may not have always seen perfectly eye to eye, Sound, especially not as of late, but you were definitely an interesting part of the FUNi Forums and fun to have around, the forum just won't be the same place without ya. But if anime is no longer your thing, then it's certainly understandable why coming around as often would be depressing. Hopefully something re-ignites that fandom spark for you someday though, so until we meet again…farewell!

• Great, now who's gonna make general discussion threads

• Guess we'll see you around at some point. You'll be back. You know it deep down. Till then.

• What's all this? I take a week long break to binge on Breaking Bad and Walking Dead and I come back to this?

Now how am I gonna "protect this fandom from the man that protects this fandom?"

• @Davidism:

What's all this? I take a week long break to binge on Breaking Bad and Walking Dead and I come back to this?

That'll learn ya'.

Now how am I gonna "protect this fandom from the man that protects this fandom?"

Wait, are you complaining about making your job easier?
    I'll miss monkey too, but dang, he needed a break.

• Wow, first time I've ever seen a thread like this be about leaving the anime community rather than the brony community.

• @overyodel:

Wow, first time I've ever seen a thread like this be about leaving the anime community rather than the brony community.

Honestly I've seen plenty of people complain/leave/get fed up with every community on the net. And quite frankly I don't blame em, all Fanbases are horrible, and anime & gaming are amoung the worst as far as I'm concerned, but maybe that's cause your dealing with crap from both sides, the fanbase and the industey. Where just a community for a single show will just be crap from one side usually the fanbase. So it's easier to deal with. But yeah, Internet as a whole is pretty much a cesspool for the worst of humanity and the worst fans in any fanbase.

Anywho, guess I'm semi-back now that I've had a month to cool off…. Still don't really have anything to talk about in terms of anime outside of Sailor Moon though, XD

So, how about that Sailor Moon Crystal? Interesting stuff so far in my book. :p

P. s. Gravity Falls season 2 premiere was great. ;)

And Nick sucks for treating Korra so poorly. Thank you, that is all.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get ready to see Guardians of the Galaxy. #peace

• Cool, now I can call this thread equal parts obnoxious and hyperbolic without any reservations

• @Riles:

Cool, now I can call this thread equal parts obnoxious and hyperbolic without any reservations

And never mind then….. Thank you riles for reminding me why I decided to give up on communicating with the anime community in the first place..... You're a true friend. So guess I'll lurk the site again around November/December maybe.... Hope you guys all have a wonderful rest of your summer and a satisfying fall/holiday season.

• My personality is reflective of my personality, not of the anime community, and I am both offended and flattered that you would assign me specifically as the spokesperson of an entire group

For the record, I identify myself far more with basketball, football, and video games before I associate myself with anime. Perhaps the problem is that you're using literally any excuse to justify your own unfounded lethargy for a hobby you no longer have any interest in. There's no reason to blame me for your own disinterest

It's just far less obnoxious to lose interest in a hobby without having to make a thread about it and come up with justifications as to why you can no longer support this hobby, that's all. Not that I consider "Because the fans are terrible" a valid argument regardless, since it's ridiculously silly to have your opinions affected by other people, directly or indirectly

• It's been so much fun to have you around, but we will miss you. We hope to see you again someday.

"This is the end…. Hold your breath and count to ten..."

• @Riles: You're right, that was rude. I apologize. I acknowledge I have no one to blame for getting involved with anime or anime forums but myself, that's my mistake possibly the biggest one of my life and no one else's. If I had a time machine I'd go back and knock some sense into my teenage self

And as mentioned earlier, if it was soley the community I had issues with, I wouldn't give up set interest/hobby merely because of that, heck all fanbases have their fair share of nasties. No it's the sorry state of the industry and fanbase combined that have made me sour to anime, again, crap being flung from one front I can take, two fronts, that's a little too much for me.

I apologize for being rude, again it was my foolish teen self back in 08/09 that thought it would be good to join anime forums to begin with. So I'll leave you all be, peace, and mods…please lock this stupid thread I made. :p

-Monkey Out!

• Reciprocal negativity is the logical result when an individual implicitly or outwardly projects it onto others with impunity.

Self-reflection; a little time in front of the proverbial mirror goes a long way; unfortunately there are many people in all fan communities, on every side who are irrevocably incapable of doing this as a result of internalizing their cynicism, hostility, bitterness and anger.