All anime blocked in Aussie WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• How come all anime that I wish to watch is blocked in a certain territory or is it just the whole of Australia.
    someone please elaborate on this any one or at least someone from funimation.

• that's because funimation don't have the rights to licences in Australia. Madman and Hanabee have the rights in Australia.
    You can watch most of the funimation shows on madman website and you watch most of sentai filmworks shows on Hanabee website
    http://www.madman.com.au/actions/channel.do?method=view
    http://54.79.91.209/shows/?vod-filter-button=on

• You could easily use things such as US VPN's to access Funimation's content. Or you have alternatives such as DNS tunneling services such as UnoTelly/UnoDNS, Unblock Us, or any other tunneling service. You could also use a browser extension/proxy services such as Media Hint, Hola Unblocker, or any other browser extension/proxy service. There are plenty of options out there for people outside the US to tunnel these services to foreign countries for the purpose of viewing such things as Funimation content as well as other streaming content as well.

• @omniboyy:

[redacted]

While it does not specifically state that using such services will violate the Terms of Use, the sections Elite Video Subscription Service and User and Member Conduct state "Subscriptions are only open to customers in the United States and Canada," as well as "upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;" falsifying your geolocation information to gain access to content intended only for US or Canadian users would violate Madman/Hanabee/any other AUS distributors exclusive rights to that content in your region. Additionally, telling other users how to get around these systems violates the Terms that you agreed to when creating your account.

• @EyeOfPain:

While it does not specifically state that using such services will violate the Terms of Use, the sections Elite Video Subscription Service and User and Member Conduct state "Subscriptions are only open to customers in the United States and Canada," as well as "upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;" falsifying your geolocation information to gain access to content intended only for US or Canadian users would violate Madman/Hanabee/any other AUS distributors exclusive rights to that content in your region. Additionally, telling other users how to get around these systems violates the Terms that you agreed to when creating your account.

There is no "upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law" as they are not using the content to make available to the general public, but to only to themselves. They would not be "falsifying" the geographical location as it is not a requirement to the stipulations, as it is only "intended". Intending is designing or aiming to be toward something, it is not a requirement nor a prerequisite in any stated terms. So unless they are a prerequisite which must be stated apon the terms of use that is just BS.

Besides did you want me to tell them to go to "X" place so you could download any media content that can be found on the Funimation site? Someone such as Funimation would highly frown apon that as they receive no type of funding out of things of such nature, but yet they do for anyone that pays for their content.

• @omniboyy:

They would not be "falsifying" the geographical location as it is not a requirement to the stipulations, as it is only "intended". Intending is designing or aiming to be toward something, it is not a requirement nor a prerequisite in any stated terms. So unless they are a prerequisite which must be stated apon the terms of use that is just BS.

Yeah, I don't think arguing semantics with a single word in an extremely broad, generic, catch-all phrase is gonna hold up very well in court, Atticus

• @Riles:

Yeah, I don't think arguing semantics with a single word in an extremely broad, generic, catch-all phrase is gonna hold up very well in court, Atticus

One word? Did you miss the other words as you did deleted the rest of the quote. How about "upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law"? What contractually incriminates them unquestionably by definition from viewing content privately? Also if they don't purchase a premium membership there are no terms of service in which they would have to agree apon, if they were to watch "free" content. They never did specify what content they where wanting to view, premium, free or otherwise.

• @omniboyy:

Also if they don't purchase a premium membership there are no terms of service in which they would have to agree apon, if they were to watch "free" content.

There are terms of service just for having an account, paid or not. You agree when you register. You use the site, you follow their rules.

• @omniboyy:

One word? Did you miss the other words as you did deleted the rest of the quote. How about "upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law"? What contractually incriminates them unquestionably by definition from viewing content privately?

The part where they specify, explicitly, that making content available violates the right of any party. Australia is a party, content is being made available in said party (regardless if it's for one private individual or for an entire group of people), and therefore a violation is occurring, because the party in question is not allowed to access this content that has been made available

Again, Atticus, simply saying "But I wasn't publicly putting it on torrent sites!" doesn't give you any amount of leeway in a legal sense

• This post is deleted!

• @Firefly:

There are terms of service just for having an account, paid or not. You agree when you register. You use the site, you follow their rules.

You don't even have to sign up to Funimation to watch the free video's. So what "terms of service" is there to even agree apon there?

@Riles:

The part where they specify, explicitly, that making content available violates the right of any party. Australia is a party, content is being made available in said party (regardless if it's for one private individual or for an entire group of people), and therefore a violation is occurring, because the party in question is not allowed to access this content that has been made available

Again, Atticus, simply saying "But I wasn't publicly putting it on torrent sites!" doesn't give you any amount of leeway in a legal sense

"They" as a person are not making content "available" to any said party (you, me , Australia, whomever) by ways of "upload, post, transmit, share, store". So your argument is invalid on that statement. They are purely viewing content or so I speculate apon that, and on doing so do not violate what is stated above. Your looking at it all wrong as it was implied toward Funimation and not the person themselves.

Also like I said before, there are no "terms of service" agreed apon for some random person that views content on the free side of things and is not a member of Funimation what so ever.

• I know that its not legal to bypass the system to get content in an area "unintended" for streaming, but is it wrong. I don't see anything wrong with someone that has a normal paid membership like everyone else, that's living in a different country, using a proxy to stream the videos because they are not intended for that country. They are paying for a service just like anyone else. Its not like they are pirating a bunch videos, they're paying to stream. I said it before, it may be illegal but is it wrong?

• @omniboyy:

"They" as a person are not making content "available" to any said party (you, me , Australia, whomever) by ways of "upload, post, transmit, share, store". So your argument is invalid on that statement. They are purely viewing content or so I speculate apon that, and on doing so do not violate what is stated above. Your looking at it all wrong as it was implied toward Funimation and not the person themselves.

Also like I said before, there are no "terms of service" agreed apon for some random person that views content on the free side of things and is not a member of Funimation what so ever.

You can't argue it that way. You can't defend against one action by saying you didn't do any of the other actions. It's not necessary to perform all of those actions (upload, post, transmit, otherwise make available) before it becomes illegal. It doesn't work like that

For whatever reason either you fail to understand what "making content available" means (i.e., a catch-all that encompasses all other forms of illegal attainment that falls outside of uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, and storing), or you're justifying your actions by refusing to acknowledge this fact. By using a proxy, you are making content available in a region where content is unavailable

You should also probably re-read the ToS - it states right in the second paragraph that anybody using the site, whether you're a registered member or a visitor simply browsing and watching videos, accepts the terms of service

• @Riles:

You can't argue it that way. You can't defend against one action by saying you didn't do any of the other actions. It's not necessary to perform all of those actions (upload, post, transmit, otherwise make available) before it becomes illegal. It doesn't work like that

For whatever reason either you fail to understand what "making content available" means (i.e., a catch-all that encompasses all other forms of illegal attainment that falls outside of uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, and storing), or you're justifying your actions by refusing to acknowledge this fact. By using a proxy, you are making content available in a region where content is unavailable

You should also probably re-read the ToS - it states right in the second paragraph that anybody using the site, whether you're a registered member or a visitor simply browsing and watching videos, accepts the terms of service

No you are not getting what is being said, I've never implied that they have to do all of the above stated for it to be illegal. Do they intend to upload it for downloading? Do they intend to post it for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to transmitting for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to share it for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to store it? If they do not intent to make any of the content available aka "file sharing", then they are not doing anything wrong. If they were to make it available for either by uploading, or posting, or transmitting, or sharing, or storing, then and only then are they possibly breaking local, state, national or international laws.

As for the terms of service that is on the site, show me where there is anything about viewing streaming video's being illegal for any one person outside the US and Canada. You know what, you can't.

• Another thing, if there weren't threads like this, then how would someone even get caught using a proxy to stream Funimations website using an Elite Video Subscription?..They wouldn't.

Even if they did, who would do anything about it, I doubt the staff would want to ban a paying subscriber from the site because they were using a proxy. The only thing that would probably get someone banned for doing this is if someone on the forums here complained about someone else that posted that they use a proxy to get access to content blocked in their area and the person complained that its illegal. Thats probably the only way anyone would take action on it, hopefully there are not too may people that would cause a fuss like that.

• Though I can see this thread getting reported and closed sometime today because of public talk of "illegally" streaming on Funimation

• @omniboyy:

No you are not getting what is being said, I've never implied that they have to do all of the above stated for it to be illegal. Do they intend to upload it for downloading? Do they intend to post it for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to transmitting for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to share it for downloading/viewing? Do they intend to store it? If they do not intent to make any of the content available aka "file sharing", then they are not doing anything wrong. If they were to make it available for either by uploading, or posting, or transmitting, or sharing, or storing, then and only then are they possibly breaking local, state, national or international laws.

As for the terms of service that is on the site, show me where there is anything about viewing streaming video's being illegal for any one person outside the US and Canada. You know what, you can't.

Sure I can

All content on the Site and available through the Service, including designs, text, graphics, pictures, video, information, applications, software, music, sound and other files, and their selection and arrangement (the ”Site Content“), are the proprietary property of FUNimation, its users or its licensors with all rights reserved. FUNimation reserves the right to display and promote its content (licensed or otherwise) on the website in any manner it chooses. No Site Content may be modified, copied, distributed, framed, reproduced, republished, downloaded, scraped, displayed, posted, transmitted, or sold in any form or by any means, in whole or in part, without FUNimation’s prior written permission, except that the foregoing does not apply to your own User Content (as defined below) that you legally post on the Site.

Using a proxy to alter regional restrictions on a video is considered modifying content on Funimation. If you really want to get down to it, using extensions such as AdBlock is also technically a violation, as is screencapping images from their shows (though obviously no company is crazy enough to enforce that one, since the thing they are concerned about is the video itself)

"buh buh buh it doesn't say anything about illegal outside of U.S. or Canada so see you were wrong im in the clear"

No reason to put that in the ToS, it's already available to see by people who are living outside of the U.S. or Canada whenever they attempt to watch a video that isn't allowed in their region. You don't see all the fourm rules laid out in the ToS either, do you? Yet it's readily and visibly available on the site for those it applies to

@sandman64:

Even if they did, who would do anything about it, I doubt the staff would want to ban a paying subscriber from the site because they were using a proxy. The only thing that would probably get someone banned for doing this is if someone on the forums here complained about someone else that posted that they use a proxy to get access to content blocked in their area and the person complained that its illegal. Thats probably the only way anyone would take action on it, hopefully there are not too may people that would cause a fuss like that.

Of course nobody's going to make a fuss. One of the primary purposes of the Terms of Service is for a company to protect themselves from lawsuits, not really to instigate them. It's not like they have lawyers squatting around, waiting to go after people that admit to using proxies. If anything, proxies indirectly help them get additional views in places they aren't allowed to broadcast to, and current laws protect them from lawsuits, because they've effectively shouldered the burden of blame from the company to the consumer. And what government official is going to go after individuals?

• @sandman64:

Though I can see this thread getting reported and closed sometime today because of public talk of "illegally" streaming on Funimation

I don't see how it's "illegal". Read my above comments, or even prove in the site terms of service that it is illegal to personally view streaming content from this site outside the US or Canada.

• I think almost anyone would see it as illegal, it CLEARLY violates the "Subscriptions are only open to customers in the United States and Canada." part in the Terms of Service. It is illegal, though I doubt anyone will do anything about it (so theres really nothing to worry about), I dont think its wrong to use a proxy to get it.

• Though if this thread gets enough views by staff I bet there will be a change in the wording of the Terms of Service so instead of "Subscriptions are only open to customers in the United States and Canada." it will probably say "Streaming, Subscribing, and Shopping is only open to residents in the United States and Canada."

• @Riles:

Using a proxy to alter regional restrictions on a video is considered modifying content on Funimation. If you really want to get down to it, using extensions such as AdBlock is also technically a violation, as is screencapping images from their shows (though obviously no company is crazy enough to enforce that one, since the thing they are concerned about is the video itself)

"buh buh buh it doesn't say anything about illegal outside of U.S. or Canada so see you were wrong im in the clear"

No reason to put that in the ToS, it's already available to see by people who are living outside of the U.S. or Canada whenever they attempt to watch a video that isn't allowed in their region. You don't see all the fourm rules laid out in the ToS either, do you? Yet it's readily and visibly available on the site for those it applies to

ROFL! What!?! A proxy does not alter the content of this site what so ever. You better learn what proxies, DNS tunneling , or VPN's do. Blocking ads is not illegal, I could make my browser not allow Java and Flash objects to be displayed which is far from illegal. On the end of screencapping for the sole use of sharing it could possibly be considered illegal, which is maybe the only legit things you've said thus far.

Also what are you talking about "I'm" in the wrong and you are in the clear? I said the site terms of service does not mention anything about viewing streaming content outside the US and Canada, not you. WOW, what are you talking about? If that is a quote on my end that you are trying to display, I'm am being highly misquoted.

Some people use VPN's all the time to be anonymous to others on the net or for many other reasons. So people that use VPN's might never know that content is ever blocked to they territory, and that make it illegal why? Its still not listed in the terms of use for this site.