Fma > fma:b

• So i started watching anime again last year and one of the shows i'd never watched was FMA . I saw it had a reboot so i picked that up , but i've since found out that the original series is quite a bit different from Brotherhood.

At 51 episodes the series is hefty to say the least , is it worth the investment of time since ive already bought and seen Brotherhood ?

• Simply put, Brotherhood follows the manga till the end while FMA takes another path about halfway into the series.

Yes, it is worth watching if you like the FMA universe and character designs.

Out of the seven homunculus in FMA these three (Sloth, Wrath, and Pride) were changed in FMA-B.

Also, FMA The Conquer of Shamballa is a continuation based off of the ending of the first FMA series.

• In before everyone floods this with "Brotherhood" bias

First of all, I do think that "Brotherhood" has the better ending of the two adaptations. However, I still love the original FMA for several personal reasons. I've re-watched FMA more than I have Brotherhood, I like certain characters more in FMA… and while there have been a lot of fans that have attempted to make me "see the light," I refuse to abandon my personal likes and dislikes because of popular opinion.

My justification for liking both almost equally is how I choose to view them. I view FMA as an alternate universe timeline that concludes with Conqueror of Shamballa. While FMA: B is the "True Route" ending more or less. Looking at it this way helps, and it keeps me comfortably in the middle of the road.

• Both series are worth viewing if you like the universe and characters. Give the first few episodes a shot before buying if you have doubts.

@Davidism:

My justification for liking both almost equally is how I choose to view them. I view FMA as an alternate universe timeline that concludes with Conqueror of Shamballa. While FMA: B is the "True Route" ending more or less. Looking at it this way helps, and it keeps me comfortably in the middle of the road.

This is more or less how I've settled on viewing the series as well.

• That was acctually my next question , is FMA available on blu-ray on a 2 part set like FMA: B ?

I've seen the regular dvd's around but no blu-ray yet.

• There isn't a BD set yet, no. Japan will just be getting the series on BD this fall, so it'll be a while longer before NA gets BDs.