Stream vs DVD?

• I noticed when looking at the specs the DVDs to Index and Railgun are in Standard Definition but if you watch them on the Funimation website you have the option for High Definition. So is the quality better on the Funimation website then the Funimation DVDs? Also if it is in HD online is it 720p or 1080p and should I still bother to get Railgun S DVD and presumably Index II and movie or just wait for the dub to show up online? Afterall, I'm all for supporting the series but I'd still rather watch it in its best quality.

• I'm not exactly sure in what specific quality the streams are offering their "HD" content, but so far as I know, there are only DVD (SD 480p) releases of Index and Railgun, specifically because of Japanese restrictions (Geneon Universal). I'm just guessing, but it may be that FUNi is allowed to stream the series in HD, while it may not be able to release it in HD. I wouldn't give up hope though, as with several of the other delayed BD releases, FUNi has come through for us. I expect once the series has seen it's fair share of BD life in Japan, we'll be allowed to have our own BD releases.

I can't "tell" you what to do, but every dollar that we spend on anime from FUNimation enables them to get more anime, and to continue doing what they do. While I'm sure the revenue from their streaming service provides a great deal towards this goal, it'd difficult to know where that money is allotted in their final reports, and whether it goes solely toward new acquisitions or just, "other". Either way, I'd strongly encourage you to support the official physical releases whenever possible.

• @Davidism:

support the official physical releases whenever possible.

Although I haven't "broken the ice" yet myself so I'm not one who should be talking here. However that said, I think that streaming is a good way to decide whether or not you should make a purchase. Although one may watch a series all the way through it's not a guarantee they would want to own it, if you like something enough you will want it for your own collection to enjoy again anytime you wanted. If it's a case of quality such as 720p vs 1080p does it really matter that much? I simply mean that when it boils down to it, it's animation; Animation quality really doesn't degrade all that much when it comes to image clarity. So you may me able to see a difference when compared side by side it doesn't diminish noticeably while you are watching any particular show, meaning you won't even notice it. Even standard definition is still very much in this realm.

To my original thoughts about streaming; For the minimal cost of being member and supporting Funimation in this way, it's great because it exposes us to good shows/movies etc… that we may never have heard of and thus may bring people to help support shows that deserve it by
    supporting the official physical releases of them. So to dumb what I'm saying....... WHY CAN'T WE DO BOTH, STREAM AND BUY THE OFFICIAL PHYSICAL RELEASES?

• I believe with the previous version of the site it specifically said the HD was 720 and i would guess that is still the same now though who knows.

Going on quality of viewing the show I personally would go with the DVD purchase, it always seems to me that the physical release is a little better than the stream though that probably has to do with the fact that my TV which i use for my comp monitor also has much more limited picture adjustment options then when i am using it through my DVD player or PS3.

Also of course if you just really like the show so much you should purchase a physical copy anyway to make sure your money tells Funi as much and it's always just such a good feeling to have your own copy of a favorite show

• @clutz1572:

WHY CAN'T WE DO BOTH, STREAM AND BUY THE OFFICIAL PHYSICAL RELEASES?

I'm not suggesting you can't do both. But a physical release's success is based on its own sales, not those of streaming. If for example, FUNimation needs to sell "X" amount of DVD/BDs and they don't then no amount of streaming would show it as a successful DVD/BD release; just that it's popular on the site.

I often "sample" anime via the streams to determine if it's something I want; and there is nothing wrong with that.

@8hatman8:

it's always just such a good feeling to have your own copy of a favorite show

I couldn't agree with you more.

• This posting has inspired me to go ahead and make my first purchase! It may not have been the intention of it, or maybe it secretly was who knows. But, I will say it does feel good to support things I like. Railgun wasn't part of my purchase but it is one of my favorites and will be part of my next one without a doubt!

• I vote for LaserDisc. :p

• @Soundmonkey44:

I vote for LaserDisc. :p

didn't that go extinct in the 80's? lol

• Thanks for the responses, to be honest the background for the question is that I'm trying to get a friend into the series but he tends have the quality of the animation make the first decision of rather or not he will watch the rest of series in his words (possibly slightly paraphrased) "I just can't seem to be able to watch a series that I can't stand to look at, after I know that I can enjoy the animation then I can judge the rest of the show." The problem with the DVDs are that a lot of scenes have very grainy looking animation (e.g. fight between Misaka 100031 and Accelerator in the back alley/ Index) and other scenes are blurry and are filled with tons of lens flares (e.g. Knights doing the chant in the Deep Blood Arc or The fight between Mikoto and Touma during sisters arc/ Index), but I have seen the HD Blu-Ray versions from someone else I could tell that there is a clear difference. The animation is all around much clearer, more detailed, and much more vibrant with the blurriness, lens flares and grainy animation removed put simply when it comes to the Blu-Rays you could watch the entire series for no other reason than the animation. I currently only own the Funimation DVDs and although I don't think the Funimation DVDs are bad in quality I'm just wondering if the HD Streaming is as much better quality animation as the Blu-Rays are. And I'm wondering if I should sign up for the paid subscription just so I can get him into the series because when talking about it to him he is extremely interested in it and says that it seems like the type anime he would like if he can get through the animation and if I can get him into the series he will probably buy the DVDs for more support and hopes of getting a Blu-Ray he doesn't have internet and I do and although I could probably swing it I'm just wondering if getting the elite subscription for no other reason than view Index is worth it, so I was trying to find other options on the quality of the stream so I can think of what to do.

• @Remido:

Thanks for the responses, to be honest the background for the question is that I'm trying to get a friend into the series but he tends have the quality of the animation make the first decision of rather or not he will watch the rest of series in his words (possibly slightly paraphrased) "I just can't seem to be able to watch a series that I can't stand to look at, after I know that I can enjoy the animation then I can judge the rest of the show." The problem with the DVDs are that a lot of scenes have very grainy looking animation (e.g. fight between Misaka 100031 and Accelerator in the back alley/ Index) and other scenes are blurry and are filled with tons of lens flares (e.g. Knights doing the chant in the Deep Blood Arc or The fight between Mikoto and Touma during sisters arc/ Index), but I have seen the HD Blu-Ray versions from someone else I could tell that there is a clear difference. The animation is all around much clearer, more detailed, and much more vibrant with the blurriness, lens flares and grainy animation removed put simply when it comes to the Blu-Rays you could watch the entire series for no other reason than the animation. I currently only own the Funimation DVDs and although I don't think the Funimation DVDs are bad in quality I'm just wondering if the HD Streaming is as much better quality animation as the Blu-Rays are. And I'm wondering if I should sign up for the paid subscription just so I can get him into the series because when talking about it to him he is extremely interested in it and says that it seems like the type anime he would like if he can get through the animation and if I can get him into the series he will probably buy the DVDs for more support and hopes of getting a Blu-Ray he doesn't have internet and I do and although I could probably swing it I'm just wondering if getting the elite subscription for no other reason than view Index is worth it, so I was trying to find other options on the quality of the stream so I can think of what to do.

I see what you're saying and personally I think you are a decent enough person for wanting to go the "extra-mile" to allow your friend to view a show you seem to enjoy in a manner he likes in hopes he enjoys it. However as for your friend, I think he is being a tad bit picky but I understand. To your question/dilemma I stream in HD on my 50" TV with no complaints, the images seem clear enough to me. As far as the Blu-Ray goes I'm sure it's even a better quality of picture but I haven't watched any in Blu-Ray format myself so I'm not able to really compare. I hope my input helps you in some sort of way.

• Thanks for the advice. And on the matter of my friend it's more like personal tick he isn't proud of in the sense as long he can get into a series he could watch it on a bootlegged VHS tape but it is difficult for him to watch something for the first time his mind is always racing thinking about the minor details of show and visual details and the visual quality if he can past all that then the rest is good, I'm the same way but more for the character and plot details, if I can handle the characters and plot inconsistencies then the rest is good but if I can't stand the characters then I could drop the show with the first episode and won't even give it a chance a clear example is Orphan Black when watched the pilot episode I was extremely interested in everything, the plot, the story I really wanted to see where it was going to go but I couldn't stand the main protagonist as character although the actor herself was good so dropped it at the pilot, I guess I'm very picky in that sense too.

• Hey, it's all good. :)

I didn't mean to be critical of anything really, so I apologize. How you guys enjoy things is on you.

@Remido:

I'm the same way but more for the character and plot details, if I can handle the characters and plot inconsistencies then the rest is good

I can relate to this as that's the big thing with me as well.

• You don't need to apologize I was just pointing out that although it is picky he isn't bad natured about it and I can relate to that type of pickiness enough to want to help accommodate him with that problem because for me I’m much more pickier you can’t get a better quality character or plot by switching video formats and he at least tries to give a show a chance even with poor visual quality it’s just he’ll have that mental tic bugging him in the back of his head, I on the other hand won’t I’ve been known to drop an entire series before finishing the first episode. He's very visual and audio detailed oriented and I'm very Plot, Chronology and Dialogue detail oriented.

• Personally I go with DvD every time. Not that streaming is bad, but our net access is not very good (Only single provider) so the quality would be worse. Also you can play it on a portable DvD player, laptop, etc. when net access is down or your traveling or any time you want to see it if you own a physical copy.