Lagging Behind

• This is going to sound very angry, but please don't be offended. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences when dealing with an admin or customer service. You're very nice people and I'm not angry with any of you on a personal level.

We all just want Funimation to improve so to that end I say: Go use other video streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, etc. Observe how they work and then do your best to make Funimation's website and apps work similarly. Good grief even the "questionably legal" proxy sites have more functionality than you guys.

I had a long winded ranty post prepared but I don't think you guys deserve that kind of barrage so I've decided to cut that part out. Please don't make me regret it :D

Here's a list of tangible suggestions in case some crazy company policy prohibits you from viewing other digital distribution services:

1. Queue for adding entire series at a time that syncs between apps. (I know you have it, but it doesn't work).
    2. Ability to add entire series to a queue from various places including an individual episode screen. (I've seen posts that you're working on this, no offense but I'll believe it when I see it, also my first suggestion should take priority over this anyway.)
    3. Ability to save viewing preferences (that sync between apps) to your account. Why do I have to pick language options and hd/sd for every episode?
    4. Remember which episodes I've already viewed. It is a massive pain to scroll through 100+ episodes of a long series every time I load the app and then try to remember which episode I left off on if it's been a while since I watched.
    5. Split multi-season shows into seasons in the interface instead of making me scroll through all of the episodes individually.
    6. Multiple browser support and mobile browser testing. If you have an android phone, I dare you to try and log into your account on the website in chrome. Also, how do you actually watch episodes on the site as a subscriber (desktop pc using chrome)? It never even recognizes that I'm signed in even though I am, so it tries to make me watch the episode through hulu with lots of fun ads.
    7. Search functionality on the Roku. As much as I just love scrolling through all the series alphabetically… oh wait I don't.

Bonus) Option to watch uncensored versions of anime for those who are 18+. I know this involves more than just the tech department, but hey I can dream right?

Well there you go. Seven things that will get you at least comparable to other services. If you're still reading this ridiculously long post then you definitely need to work on your time management skills ;)

• @ghosteye:

Bonus) Option to watch uncensored versions of anime for those who are 18+. I know this involves more than just the tech department, but hey I can dream right?

This is already available for titles Funimation has a home video license for, provided one has an Elite Video Subscription.

• @TheAncientOne:

This is already available for titles Funimation has a home video license for, provided one has an Elite Video Subscription.

Cool, I have a subscription but I've never seen the option. I must not be watching titles that have this feature. Deadman Wonderland comes to mind as one that could really use this. I tried watching a few episodes and thought there was something wrong with my tv because the entire episode was a black screen with bits of character's faces here and there. Turns out it's just heavily censored. Needless to say I won't be watching the rest of the series on Funimation.

EDIT* Apparently my subscription ended at some point… I don't remember ever canceling it though, and I was still able to log into the Roku app. I have re-subbed, but I still don't see an option to watch Deadman Wonderland uncensored. Bummer :(

• @ghosteye:

I have re-subbed, but I still don't see an option to watch Deadman Wonderland uncensored. Bummer :(

if you re subed it sts not showing you as a subscriber under your user name.
    id submit a ticket about that.

usaly the uncensored material are the dubed versions :)

• @mike:

usaly the uncensored material are the dubed versions :)

I know that isn't the case with the original series for both Freezing and High School DxD. If you have EVS, you get an uncensored version even when viewing with subtitles. This also appears to be true for Sekirei's subtitled version.

• Thanks for the info guys. Fortunately one of my friends owns the uncensored dvd's of Deadman Wonderland. Dubbed anime… bleh lol. Not really a fan, but some are decent.

EDIT* Looks like my subscriber tag is working now, yay!

• There is quite a bit on your original list that I find to be quite applicable and a good step in the right direction for Funimations future.
    There is a big problem with having to find an episode and when you do find it the issues with queuing it up frustrates me personally.

• Having come from Crunchyroll to funimation for various animes. I'm actually kind of disgusted.

How can a company as big as funimation have a lesser site than a little league company like crunchyroll?

Get it together.

• @prwraith:

Having come from Crunchyroll to funimation for various animes. I'm actually kind of disgusted.

How can a company as big as funimation have a lesser site than a little league company like crunchyroll?

Crunchyroll's primary business is streaming. Funimation's is selling physical media. CR has also been in the streaming game longer. (Funimation didn't start until months after CR went legit).

• @TheAncientOne:

Crunchyroll's primary business is streaming. Funimation's is selling physical media. CR has also been in the streaming game longer. (Funimation didn't start until months after CR went legit).

That's not really a good excuse to have an un-optimized site.

• @prwraith:

I don't think FUNimation is as big as you think it is…

• @prwraith:

That's not really a good excuse to have an un-optimized site.

It does in regards to prioritization, which is this case is selling physical media. It is to be assumed the streaming arm will suffer because of that, doesn't mean it isn't a priority, but probably in a lower tier.

The recommendations here are good, and I believe some will be implemented here in one form or another as time goes on. As stated before though FUNimation isn't some behemoth company, so they have to figure out what's best for them, and I'm sure the streaming service will get only better over time.

• @Sophie:

Speaking of optimization.

Thanks Sophie! Great to see some of this progress. When's the Roku getting some love? =^.^=

• I just hope they don't move all their content to Hulu like Viz did, I refuse to pay for any subscription service that makes me watch ads!

Adding a feature that remembers what episodes I watched in my queue is my number 1, I just go back and delete the episode out after I watch it now.

• This is a case of "that'll work" and using outsourced developers. A lot of what I see on here is no QA or User Acceptance Testing. I see a lot of mistakes I have seen in over 10 years in the software field when outsourcing is used to save money. In the mid to late 2000's the late 90's and early to mid 2000's fad of hiring outsourced developers started to go down because you got a lot of terrible websites that ended up costing a lot more then it would have cost to have hired directly/used a good american company with a good reputation (and proof of what they have done). I know that sounds like "America #1" but no, it's just a cultural thing. Have you ever seen a Japanese website? India has a culture of literally hiring people off the street with no experience for decent paying programming jobs, on top of that their schools are using out dated training methods and most of there programmers don't want to do programming (and have little to no training in using a computer where there colleges didn't even computers). You think I'm joking but not only do I have personal anecdotal experience of this (from working in India training a team of developers for a large company) but there is several stack exchange posts on this where native India indians discuss this (the lack of computers, parents, hiring off the street [saw this first hand, they even hired a couple of homeless people that got placed on my team to train, I wasn't allowed to fire them and they refused to learn]).

There are things here in the US that make people want to program, even when burnt out from years of working on projects doing the same thing you care about the creativity and building the best site possible. Not "that'll do".

But honestly the first two items I listed are probably more important, but when your arms don't listen to your brain (as I have found to be the case with using outsourced resources) then you end up with massive delays. Which we are seeing here, the mobile app has been waiting a good long time for an update, the site has tons of bugs that would never have made it to production if they had QA people.

• @Sophie:

Speaking of optimization.

Note: HTML5 video player is only available for Safari 6+ users.

Seriously? That little note is a huge flashing light to web developers.

It means you guys are most likely web developing & testing with Macs. I mean sure, Macs are fantastic graphics machines but if you only live in the Safari world then you're going down the wrong path. Browser tracking statistics show that Safari users are 5% or less of total web traffic. No wonder you guys are having so many problems. At the very least it probably means you are developing and testing with Safari instead of mainline browsers.

Either way it's probably not a good idea. It means you are likely only just using mp4. At the very least I'd recommend your web developer install Modernizr on your site if it's not already there. It is free and can be used to auto-detect and optimize your site's code to play the different HTML5 video formats. Seriously guys, I'm not just jerking you around here. Go google for "using modernizr html5 video" and you guys can make some magic happen. Either way Modernizr will auto-magically optimize the site code on the fly for the browser loading the page. Its fantastic stuff.