General Adaptive Writing Question..

• Hey there!

Sorry if this isn't where I can ask such a question, but I thought I'd give it a shot since it TECHNICALLY has to do with Funimation, yeah?

I've always been interested in the adaptive writing process and have noticed how, over the years, companies like Funimation seem to be having more and more fun with dialogue writing in their animes. While some fans may not agree, I'm not one to complain as long as it doesn't veer TOO far from the original concept. I like a little creativity. As a writer obsessed with dialogue, I like the differences and, to be honest, sometimes the Japanese references are… unclear. So, thank you to your writers!

So, my question: Now that it seems your writers are having a little bit more fun (is that the correct word? I do know it's more of an obsession so can it be coined 'fun'? Or more of a "need to FIND THE RIGHT PHRASE TO FIT THE FREAKIN' FLAP"?), how does one become an adaptive writer? Not necessarily for Funimation (as I'm not looking for work or anything) but just IN GENERAL? How do you get started and who do you talk to?

If this is the CORRECT forum and an APPROPRIATE question... thanks a bunch!

~ Caitlinb2323

• Hmmm… That's a very good question. One thing I have noticed with FUNimation's writers in particular is that most of them are also directors and voice actors. J. Michael Tatum and Colleen Clinkenbeard, for instance, are often times both the writers AND the stars of the shows they act in. As to "which job came first", I'm not exactly sure, but it is something to take notice of.

I think with any adaptive writing job, FUNimation or otherwise, the only place to start at is the bottom. I know that a lot of FUNimation actors and writers first started at the company as unpaid interns doing desk work, then eventually made their way up into paid labor, then bit parts, then larger parts, then on to bigger jobs like ADR, screenwriting, and directing. I think the best way to learn that sort of thing is to constantly be around that sort of thing; if you want to learn how to adapt, hang around the people who do it. If you want to direct, spend a lot of time around the director. See if you can pick up a few things, don't be afraid to ask questions, and above all else, be patient, don't give up, and have faith. Of course, a college-level creative writing class and a few years of theater acting experience certainly won't hurt your chances either.

Other than that, I don't really know the answer to your question. A good idea might be to track down someone like Tatum or Jamie Marchi on Twitter or at a convention and, if they don't appear to be very busy, simply ask them how they got into it. That's really all I can suggest.

I do hope you find the answers that you're looking for. :)

• I can't tell you how to be successful from a business perspective, but for any writer, boasting a vast vocabulary, having the patience to do research, and just real-world experience are certainly prerequisites for success.

• @SpacemanHardy:

track down someone like Tatum or Jamie Marchi on Twitter or at a convention and, if they don't appear to be very busy, simply ask them how they got into it.

Here's a piece- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-08-17

• Awesome. Thanks everyone for the input. I have written for theatre and currently work in marketing, so it's good to know that being obsessed with fun and clever dialogue is a GOOD thing.

I could look for people on Twitter and such, but I'd hate to feel to feel like a 'stalker', asking random questions. However, I am part of a fun little voice acting group and while they are mostly actors I will ask them too. If I find anything interesting, I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

As for starting at the bottom… that's the best part! ;)