I Hate Fan Service

• I'm a girl that loves to watch anime, but there is one thing I can't stand that a lot of anime do, fan service. When I'm watching, bam lady parts! I mean some times I feel like I'm watching something dirty. It really take the dignity of the show away. Can you imagine when your a kid waking up early to see saturday cartoons X-men, Spiderman, Superman, etc. and bam lady parts! I would of said manly parts but homophobia and all. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to not pervert anime. Lets leave fan service out of anime.

• Eh. Anime isn't necessarily equivalent to Saturday morning cartoons - it's got a wide range of demographics, much like Western animation has got with a young audience watching The Hub, preteens watching Cartoon Network, and young adults hanging out with shows like Archer and Bob's Burgers

Fanservice is kind of a cultural thing, where sexualization is considered more acceptable. Fanservice comes with the territory, essentially, and while it does seem pretty radical to a puritan country such as America, it's important to remember that womanly fanservice isn't unusual in Japan

I cannot comprehend your homophobia comment

I cannot comprehend why you posted this under Conventions

• I am almost certain that this thread is going to spiral out of control faster than a "I Love Sean Shemmel" thread on a dedicated Sub Only forum for DBZ…

However, I am willing to sit back and see where this goes, and if... IF any sort of mature and reasonable conversation can be had from this… thing.

• @omnimana:

I'm a girl that loves to watch anime, but there is one thing I can't stand that a lot of anime do, fan service. When I'm watching, bam lady parts! I mean some times I feel like I'm watching something dirty. It really take the dignity of the show away. Can you imagine when your a kid waking up early to see saturday cartoons X-men, Spiderman, Superman, etc. and bam lady parts! I would of said manly parts but homophobia and all. All I'm saying is that it would be nice to not pervert anime. Lets leave fan service out of anime.

I get what you are saying but it is only a cultural type thing, some shows probably could do without the fan service but it is what it is. There are many shows that either minimize it or do not have it at all. Being a guy I can at times appreciate fan service but more often than not I try to focus on the characters themselves and the story. You can not really compare Anime art with Disney art; Both have their place but both are uniquely different.

@Riles:

I cannot comprehend your homophobia comment

Here in the US the general view is that male on male relationships or anything related is sort of an unspoken taboo, although this stereotype being brought to light and reversed many people still feel this way.

@Riles:

I cannot comprehend why you posted this under Conventions

she simply posted in the wrong place…

• I think the real question is: If it were half-naked men with rock-hard, glistening abs running around shirtless for most of the show, would you still feel the same way?

Before you answer, go watch Free or Ouran or Uta-No Prince Sama or something like that, then get back to us.

• Yes, there fanservice in anime but , what i don't understand why didn't anybody talk about fanservice in Live-action shows. I recently watched Orange is the New Black, it had a lot of unnecessary fansvervice. Hell, there's one scene where two guys are in a sauna and 5 seconds later you see a guy walking by them with his male genital out .

• "Fan service" as it's called is just part of the genre, let alone it's in all different forms of media. Although as previously alluded to as being a cultural norm in Japan, in the west overt sexualization of media is bountiful in other mediums. Live action TV shows and magazine covers anyone? Really it's everywhere. So to "hate fanservice" in any given medium is just to say you don't like overt sexualization, especially of women in most likely not just anime but any media.

My point being anime is not some lone wolf with this, and I do agree series a lot of the time are better without it. Anime however is not the only culprit, nor is it always a bad thing.

• Heck, Baywatch was on for years, and hardly anyone ever complained about that. :hmm:

• @clutz1572:

Here in the US the general view is that male on male relationships or anything related is sort of an unspoken taboo, although this stereotype being brought to light and reversed many people still feel this way.

But what did homophobia have ANYTHING to do with the preceding sentences, other than to announce it for announcements' sake

• @Riles:

But what did homophobia have ANYTHING to do with the preceding sentences, other than to announce it for announcements' sake

I am not going to express my own feelings about fan service here, but I will say that homophobia is one of the things most people agree is blocking fanservice from being more evenly distributed between men and women being the ones exploited.

How important of a thing depends on who you talk to, but it's definitely one of the reasons that comes up a lot, particularly linked with misogyny– usually connected to the "two girls being sexy is sexy and two guys being sexy is gross" kinds of arguments.

• But there wasn't any mention of homosexual themes, outside of, I guess, and aversion to say "man parts" because homophobia runs wild against men, or something. There wasn't any mention of fanservice having gay or lesbian themes

I don't disagree with you, CJ (though I will say I think the primary reason is because male to female attraction is noticeably more superficial in terms of physique, and thus fanservice will never be equal), but randomly mentioning that you refuse to say man parts because someone reading might be homophobic, without any context in regards to the fanservice complaint, really rubbed me the wrong way

• I personally enjoy fanservice. Whether it's brief and comical or pretty much the backbone of the story. I get its uses and respect it because like others said this is just part of anime culture now. As for why there aren't many instances of male fan service, there are animes out there that have it (like spaceman pointed out) but I still have the assumption that most anime fans in Japan are younger males. They're hitting their demographic. They also have yaoi and Yuri anime if that's what floats your boat. Japan is a mixed bag from what I noticed. They are very free and open sexually maybe more so hetero than gay but the government also censors the hell out of them too. I see everyone's argument but I just think Japan is using the larger demographic to make more generally accepted and profitable shows.

As for Orange is the new black, the gay sauna scene was purely for comical effect not fan service I believe. They were uncomfortable not horny. And the excessive female nudity is to show how female prisoners can't have privacy or shame in prisons. It's more for realism than anything.

• I Hate SourKraut, and Pigeons, Pigeons are jerks!! >:(

• @h1k1k0m0r1:

As for Orange is the new black, the gay sauna scene was purely for comical effect not fan service I believe. They were uncomfortable not horny. And the excessive female nudity is to show how female prisoners can't have privacy or shame in prisons. It's more for realism than anything.

I get it for comical effect but, was it's really necessary to show the guy genital. I understand that the female prisoners don't have any privacy but, the show could have use a other way to get the point across. Also they pretty much show female breast every other episode and some of it is use for fanseverice. By the way, I forgot to mention Orange is the New Black is from same creator of Weeds and Weeds had a lot of unnecessary fanservice too.

• the only problem i have with fan service is
    when your trying to watch a show, and your worst half is the one with the problem.
    maybee i should just be single again :)

• I don't mind fan service that much but that doesn't mean I am going to watch every anime that I like with my mom. I think a little bit of fan service is ok like in dragon ball. But other animes that have a lot of fan service like Strike Witches I also enjoy but it is not for the fan service. Now I will admit that some animes I have enjoyed I watched them for the fan service initially but after watching them the story will keep into them. Now do I think animes need fan service I would probably say no but I think that if any media stopped having some form of fan service it would lose its popularity and soon die.

And some people are missing the fact that all forms of media have fan service. Look at news media as a whole. They always have some woman with a low cut to expose cleavage to get male viewers and a male that has some kind of attraction to get the female viewers. I think that we berate anime because for us in America we don't see cartoons with the extreme versions of fan service so we make those comments. But in reality it is because for most Americans the fan service is in other forms of media such as live action shows.

• Is Fanservice in modern anime as excessive as pointless explosions in big budget theatrical films, yes, yes it is.

Is there a damn thing we can do about it, no, no here's not.

Solution: 1 don't watch shows that bother you.

Solution 2: ignore anime all together

Solution 3: hope & pray we see a day when anime Fanservice isn't what defines a good chunk of the medium

Soluton 4: accept most anime is aimed a horny teen boys and lonely middle aged men,.

@matrich: comparing anime to news media isn't really a valid argument… Live action in general though, sure.

As for why we don't see a lot of sexual Fanservice in a lot American cartoons, most aren't that desperate yet. XD. well Seth Mcafalrend & Brickleberry are desperate & pathetic as heck, but that's another rant for another time

But yes, Fanservice in and of itself isn't evil. But the industies dependence on it is as pathetic as the gaming industries dependence on FPS & Cable TVs dependence on reality shows.

• I'm interested op, why do you hate fan service?
    You brought up the issue of children seeing it but that's not really a factor here, there are plenty of fan-service free shows for children out there (many run Saturday mornings).
    So what are the reasons you dislike fan service? and why do you feel those reasons should prevent all anime from showing fan-service.

• Haven’t we discussed this already?

@CJ:

I am not going to express my own feelings about fan service here, but I will say that homophobia is one of the things most people agree is blocking fanservice from being more evenly distributed between men and women being the ones exploited.

When Free was first announced there was a lot of pushback from the community with every rationalization you could think of as to why Free shouldn’t be made. There is one simply answer.

It’s not homophobia; it’s fan entitlement. For years, the vast majority of fan service in anime pandered to a male demographic while identical material for a female demographic was placed in manga. So when the Free anime was announced, many of the animosity from these entitled fans was the result of them seeing it as a threat to their monopoly on erotic fan service material in anime.

At the same time, I find it very aggravating that people will throw most fan service shows that appeal to a male demographic under the bus with implications of passive aggressive or direct insults towards those who enjoy said shows themselves. All the while defending Free and rationalizing that “it’s different.” I’m not going to mention names but I’ve seen some ridiculously pathetic attempts at rationalizing this double standard.

Don’t get me wrong though; I understand there’s this little thing called context. It’s precisely why I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with Queen’s Blade, Samurai Girls, Cat Planet Cuties or High School of the Dead. While these shows have their share of salacious material, it never crosses into mean spirited territory. They also have well written characters with agency, motives and flaws along with all the necessary attributes for good storytelling blended together with solid execution that make for a good entertaining show.

At the same time I find myself considerably offended at the Wanna be the Strongest in the World, Elfen Lied or the implications made earlier on Kill La Kill. Wanna be the Strongest in the World relished in torturing its one-dimensional lead character while Elfen Lied took sadistic pleasure in slowly and gruesomely killing off its characters. As for Kill La Kill; well I’m not going there.

@CJ:

How important of a thing depends on who you talk to, but it's definitely one of the reasons that comes up a lot, particularly linked with misogyny– usually connected to the "two girls being sexy is sexy and two guys being sexy is gross" kinds of arguments.

I think that’s more misandry than anything seeing men as “gross,” unless you’re Zack Snyder who seems to love throwing light homoerotic imagery into his movies.

@Soundmonkey44:

Soluton 4: accept most anime is aimed a horny teen boys and lonely middle aged men,.

I know it has been mentioned to keep things civil; when I see ignorant statements such as this; it gets pretty difficult.

@Soundmonkey44:

As for why we don't see a lot of sexual Fanservice in a lot American cartoons, most aren't that desperate yet. XD.

This is a cultural difference; it’s not out of desperation. The fact is, in North America, animation is seen as one of the following: family entertainment, children’s entertainment or satirical, crude, gross out adult humor.

The commentary on one of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Blu-rays, I can’t recall who said it, but the sentiment is along the lines of how in North America animation is seen as the “jester” of entertainment. People don’t take it seriously, whereas in Japan, animation is an entire method to tell any type of story. Contrary to what people want to believe, anime is made for various demographics; people of all ages, interests; anyone who wants a decent story, or something enjoyable and entertaining to watch to kill time even when it’s the fan service material; not just horny teen boys and lonely middle aged men.

• @neonwalrus:

Haven’t we discussed this already?

In North America animation is seen as the “jester” of entertainment. People don’t take it seriously, whereas in Japan, animation is an entire method to tell any type of story. Contrary to what people want to believe, anime is made for various demographics; people of all ages, interests; anyone who wants a decent story, or something enjoyable and entertaining to watch to kill time even when it’s the fan service material; not just horny teen boys and lonely middle aged men.

Very well said. I wish more people would take the time understand this especially Non-Anime fans. The presumptions and stereotypes associated with anime and fans of anime makes me sick sometimes.

• Not to derail things, I just want to quickly respond to this.

@h1k1k0m0r1:

Very well said. I wish more people would take the time understand this especially Non-Anime fans. The presumptions and stereotypes associated with anime and fans of anime makes me sick sometimes.

At the same time though, there are many anime fans who insult American Animation with impunity, holding the medium of anime up as if it's untouchable perfection; these people are misguided and say some pretty ignorant things about American Cartoons. Responding to them by insulting the anime medium, or making generalizations about the fan base, or who anime is made for in response to the ignorance is no better than the initial sentiment.

Sure, a majority of western animation is mainly for family viewing; but that doesn't stop a lot of it from being good; the same way an anime that happens to have ecchi fan service in it can also be good.