Best anime series you have ever watched? biggest let down?

• I'm looking to expand my horizons so I'm curious about what your favorites are.

for me i would have to go with tehxnolyze or serial experiments lain. both made you think a lot through out the series and had a good ending.

biggest let down for me was ergo proxy. i thought that they could have gone far deeper. the set up was perfect and there were a few amazing episodes. I like this anime but i think a lot of the episodes were just eh.

• The best anime that I have seen (in my opinion) is Code Geass
    Another one I really liked is Ghost in the shell

Others i liked: Durarara!, darker than black, Sunday without god.

Biggest letdown: Corpse Princess. I loved it so much at the beginning but I started disliking it during the last few episodes and to make it worse the ending was terrible.

• yea the ending was weak and i felt the same about corpse princess.

im going to watch the ones you liked :P i need new anime in my life and i have heard good things about them.

• since we have a section for general anime discussion, I'm going to move this thread there.

• sorry new to the forums. didnt mean to post it in the wrong section bows with hand motions from waynes world i am not worthy

• My Top 5 anime are
    1. Fullmetal Alchemist
    2.Welcome to the N.H.K
    3.Heaven’s Lost Property
    4.Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
    5.Corpse Princess
    Biggest letdown: Heaven's Memo Pad, I really like the Beginning of the show but, I hate episodes 5 to 8. I expected a lot out of this show, but it just didn't live up to my hype. At lest the ending was good.

• Best: Madoka Magica, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kyousougiga. I consider these anime to be ostensibly perfect.

Letdowns: Shinsekai Yori, RahXephon, Kill la Kill. Really wanted to like these, but they just weren't operating on a wavelength that I appreciate.

• @metal_messiah3:

sorry new to the forums. didnt mean to post it in the wrong section bows with hand motions from waynes world i am not worthy

It's not a problem.

As for the "best" anime I've ever seen… I really just can't say any longer; they are constantly shifting and getting upped and surpassed. I guess if I just had to pin one down, it would be, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I absolutely loved it from start to finish, really surpassed a lot of the ilk that I had watched in the months leading up to it.

As for a "biggest let down." Well, I can name a dozen, but I'll just stick with a few.

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Noein
    Gurren Lagann
    Masters of Martial Hearts
    Boys Over Flowers
    Shakugan no Shana

With the exception of Noein, MoMH, these were all over rated as well as let-downs.

• I just finished Aria the Animation; this series definitely qualifies as one of the best things I've seen.

Can't think of any letdowns really; I don't usually get all that hyped up about anything anyways.

• For my choices in “best” anime it’s this here:

! Top Favorites in Alphabetical order:
    ! Baccano!
    Cat Planet Cuties
    Fate/Zero
    Fractale
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
    GunGrave
    Hellsing Ultimate
    High School of the Dead
    Princess Jellyfish
    Psycho-Pass
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Queen's Blade
    Queen's Blade Rebellion
    Samurai Champloo
    Samurai Girls
    Shiki
    Speed Grapher
    Stein's; Gate
    The Tatami Galaxy
    Texhnolyze
    ! Top Favorite Anime Movies:
    ! Akira
    Evangelion 1.11: You are (not) Alone
    Evangelion 2.22: You can (not) Advance
    Fullmetal Alchemist Conqueror of Shamballa
    Fullmetal Alchemist Sared Star of Milos
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Madoka Magica Rebellion
    Paprika
    Perfect Blue
    Spirited Away
    Summer Wars
    Tokyo Godfathers
    Wolf Children
    ! Level 1 Favorites close behind top favorites:
    ! Basilisk
    Berserk
    Black Lagoon (all)
    Blood - C
    Chobits
    Dance in the Vampire Bund
    Eden of the East
    Freezing
    GunBuster
    High School DxD
    Inuyasha: Season 1
    Inuyasha: Season 5
    Inuyasha: The Final Act
    Kousougiga
    Moribito
    Neon Genesis
    Spice & Wolf
    Tenjho Tenge

For biggest letdowns, well, here’s a few that I can rattle off the top of my head:

Panty & Stocking
    Wanna be the Strongest in the World
    Kill La Kill
    Heaven’s Lost Property the Angeloid of Clockwork
    We Without Wings

• I have a lot of favorites so I'll limit them to the ones that blew me away.

Steins;gate
    Future Diary + OVA
    Black Lagoon + movie
    Jormungand
    Elfen lied (got me into serious adult anime)
    Dance in the Vampire Bund
    Death Note ( every episode is genius)
    Naruto
    Naruto Shippuden (keeps you hooked for hundreds of episodes and just gets better)
    Dusk Maiden of Amnesia (so glad others put this down , too)
    Golden Time ( cried like a baby)
    Oreimo (it walks the moral decency line and you can sway either way. Hated the ending though)
    Blood + (Epic)
    School Days (controversial but nevertheless one of the most surprsing endings ever)

Letdowns:
    Shakugan no Shana (had great action and great voice acting but the story was a mess. As if it were done by a complete amateur. Every season seemed to be a completely different genre from the last. It didn't flow and the ending was so abrupt it just left you bewildered.)
    FLCL (a lot of people love this and regard it as a classic but it was a giant fustercluck to me.)
    Flowers of Evil
    D. Fragments

• Hunter x Hunter (2011 version) - I cannot recommend this series enough. Check it out. See if you like. Then start start hassling companies to license it.

I was kind of let down a bit by the One Piece anime when I finally started checking out Funimation's uncut dubbed version. I generally enjoy it, but the slow pace of the episodes can be rather frustrating. That and the storytelling can lean on the sappy side at times.

• I would have to say that my Favirte animes would have to be
    Gurren Laggan
    Ahonana the Flower we saw that day
    Code geass
    Heavens Lost Property
    Horizon in the Middle of nowhere(…Needs a third season...)
    Is this a zombie
    A certain Magical Index/A certain Scientific Railgun
    The Future Diary's
    Guilty Crown
    I could keep going on but im going to stop lol.

As for a let down I would have to say
    Soul Eater
    Cosmic party revaluation
    Venus versus virus
    I was just Upset at these shows since i saw the potential but it could not live up to it.

• I have more than a few favorites, but I'd have to pick Elfen Lied as perhaps the best. It really has a bit of everything…horror, (extreme) violence, drama, comedy, and interesting and believable characters.

Others:
    Another: great horror anime
    Upotte!!: fun slice-of-gun/slice-of-lifer
    Mitsudomoe: raunchy and vulgar, but a great laugh

As for letdowns, there have been many, but one that stands out is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It didn't even come close to living up to the hype for me.

• My Tops are:

-Steins Gate
    -Spice & Wolf
    -Clannad and Clannad: After Story
    -The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
    -Toradora!
    -Aoi Hana
    -Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
    -The Kara no Kyoukai series of movies.

Biggest Let Down:
    Oreimo

The 3 final episodes don't exist, at least in my mind. Sure its "controversial" material, but if they are going to go that route finish it off properly, not some retract there at the end.

• Biggest let down? Easy. Sword Art Online.

I had already heard the internet chatter, so I went into it expecting to like the first half and dislike the second. As it turns out though, I hated the first half and LOATHED the second. I have a hard time coming up with more than three things about that show that I actually DO like.

Another one is Big Windup. When I heard it was done by the same studio that worked on two of my favorite shows - FMA and Darker Than Black - I got excited to try it out. I had watched other sports anime before like Princess Nine and Bamboo Blade and had really enjoyed those, so I thought I might like it as well. But it turned out to be SOOOOOOO incredibly boring. It took them seven episodes just to make it through a single game, because they insisted on painstakingly describing all the minute ins-and-outs of baseball and it's rules, which honestly I couldn't really care less about. If I wanted to learn how to play baseball, I'd actually go PLAY BASEBALL. Just give me the sports movie version, thank you very much.

Not to mention Ren Mihashi is one of the whiniest, wimpiest, most unlikable protagonists I've ever seen in any anime ever. He makes Shinji look like freakin' Kenshiro. Never before have I hated a character's face so much as his. >0<

• It's really hard for me to pick what the 'best' show I've ever seen is, because…well, I can't even make a top ten list anymore. I just always feel like I'm gypping the other things I love when I do. That said though, I still feel that the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime might just take the cake…even if in my heart of hearts, I tend to enjoy DBZ more.

As far as biggest let down goes, though...hmm. 5 Centimeters Per Second comes to mind, believe it or not. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, and it has some BEAUTIFUL animation….but man was that much more depressing of a resolution than I expected or wanted.

• It may seem premature to call it, but Attack on Titan blew me away. It remains the only anime I've seen that nearly made me cry, and I think that definitely counts on any list I'd make. The animation is beautiful, the voice acting is the bet I've ever heard, the story is new, dark, and interesting, and it's in a continuous format, not episodic. I've only watched the English dub so far, so I can't comment on the quality of the Japanese dub, but as far as I'm concerned this is going straight to all of my top lists.

My most disappointing anime is a tough call. but if I could divide it into seasons I would say the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2. Ignoring the non-linear airing order, which already soured me, the endless eight has got to go down as the biggest troll-job in anime history. It's literally the same episode 9 times in a row. Sure it has 1-3 lines of different dialog and the outfits they wear each day are different, but that is literally it. After waiting some 5 years to see a series I love return for another season it was infuriating and a huge waste of time. The rest of the season was perfectly fine, and in retrospect the entire season was setting up the movie, but that isn't enough to undo my disappointment with the endless eight.

• - Top 5 -
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (including the rebuilds)
    Ai No Kusabi
    Sakamichi no Apollon
    Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (primarily the English dub)

- Disappointments -
    Sword Art Online
    Soul Eater
    Pretear