Specific animes you prefer subbed to dubbed or vice versa?

• I'm not trying to start an argument over which is better. I like both subtitles and dubbed depending on the show. But I liked A Certain Scientific Railgun dubbed for the first season until I got impatient and watched the second season subbed. And even though I liked Britney Karbowski as Railgun the Japanese VA for Shirai was hilarious. She made pervy an art form. :)

But I still prefer the dubbed of Magical Index. Micah Solusod and Monica Dial are Toma and Index to me. I still feel a little guilty for watching the second season subbed too.

• Ghost in the Shell, and Code Geass. I liked both more when watching them Dubbed.

• Dragonball Z may have a terrible dub, but it's the one show, that I know of, that I cannot watch in Japanese. Thankfully, Kai's is better. Just about everything else I can easily switch between language tracks with no problems, except for hentai. Most hentai dubs are awful

• I prefere to watch all shows dubbed in Italian! :p

silliness aside though I'm not picky as long as I have a legal way to watch, but Cowboy Bebop is a dub only show as far as I'm concerned.

• Bebop has to be Japanese for me as I'm not a fan of the dub. While I like the Samurai Champloo dub I've gotta give the edge to the sub.
    Planetes (someone has to rescue this…) was amazing in Japanese. The dub was a struggle for me.
    I'm not a big Titan fan but, sadly, Attack on Titan is one modern Funi dub that I can't get behind.
    VanDread was a classic but that dub has to be a front runner for "worst dub of the millennium".

Death Note, The SoulTaker and Starship Operators were dubs > subs IMO, which is a bit odd as some of their other known works, like Black Lagoon, are ones I'd rather watch subbed.

So many shows have been made either watchable or amazing (EG:Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy) by their dubs IMO. I'm still waiting for Sentai to get back to the dubbing awesomeness that ADV had as they were hitting almost all of 'em out of the park as far as I'm concerned.

• @sidereal: About Bebop, This isn't one of those, "I'm gonna say the opposite about a popular dub because I'm hip like that". Things is it?

• @Soundmonkey44:

@sidereal: About Bebop, This isn't one of those, "I'm gonna say the opposite about a popular dub because I'm hip like that". Things is it?

No. I really didn't care for it. I'm not even sure that I was truly aware of its popularity when I saw it as I was a pretty new anime fan then. I'm a huge dub fan now and I recently rewatched the Bebop dub before attending a con with Steve Blum and I still would rather watch it in Japanese; my opinion hasn't changed.

• I love dubs almost to the point of being a "dub elitist", so naturally they make up the majority of what I watch. I even prefer to watch a bad dub to a good sub, simply so that I can focus on the artwork and action without having the need to distract myself with the subtitles. After all, if I wanted to read, I'd pick up a book. :P

That having been said, however, there are some dubs out there that are just painfully bad. As mentioned before, hentai dubs are universally awful. I can think of maybe one or two in the entire history of the medium that weren't completely painful to listen to. Also, pretty much any show dubbed by Blue Water Studios, Arvintel, and 4Kids (Ultimate Muscle was fun, though…) tend to be really, really bad. And THEN there are the English dubs that were made in Singapore for Animax, which are even WORSE.

As far as dubs that I believe are better than the original Japanese, definitely Bebop, Baccano!, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, YuYu Hakusho, and yes, even DBZ fit that bill.

But of course, that's just me. ^_^

• To be honest Sidereal I like your posts a lot better when you speak from your own opinion instead of putting in subjective reasoning to back up your personal opinion.
    Also I agree, I hope Planetes get a rescue (though I was lucky enough to pick it up when it was $30 at the PX.

On topic: I prefer subbed for all shows, it's just a personal taste and I've found that overall I enjoy watching shows in Japanese.
    Still, I won't say I dislike watching some shows like Spice and Wolf or Squid Girl dubbed, just would prefer…

• I'm pretty much 75/25 sub/dub. But here are some specifics on two of my favorites.

Madoka Magica: Not at all a disrespect to the English VAs, but Chiwa Saito is my absolute favorite seiyuu, which pretty much makes this an automatic sub-only for me when rewatching the series. Aoi Yuki is also remarkable, and let's face it: these female seiyuu just know how to do yuri. Just thinking how the lily field scene in Rebellion would sound in English makes me shudder.

B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time: You'd think Brittney Karbowski has something to do with me preferring the dub, and you'd be right. She really knows how to play such a loose character. But the people who are really responsible for making this a rare dub-only experience for me are Jamie Marchi and Leah Clark, who wrote the English script. I try listening to other anime comedies dubbed, and they just don't have the same magic.

Those are probably the only two anime which I can truly enjoy in a specific language. I could say I prefer Baccano in English just because Bryan Massey/Ladd Russo, but Sayaka Aoki was about as perfect as she could be for a Japanese-speaking Miria Harvent.

• Shoot, how could I forget about Baccano!? :(
    I didn't care for that series at all in Japanese but thought it was great fun in English. Joel McDonald was awesome as Jacuzzi Splot while his Japanese counterpart made my ears hurt (and could probably break glass lol).

Madoka Magica is one that I have to give the edge to the dub, which is surprising to me as Bang/Zoom's dubs are pretty "meh" to me but Kyuubei (best character IMO) & Carrie Savage in the dub made my experience with the dub more enjoyable than with the sub.

• I like Black Butler Better in English then in Japanese.

• @Soundmonkey44:

I like Black Butler Better in English then in Japanese.

J. Michael Tatum was outstanding as Sebastian and has always done a great English accent. Cheramie Leigh's accent in BB was horrifying though. God I hope that was on purpose. But Tatum and Brina Palencia are one of my dream teams since Spice and Wolf.

• @h1k1k0m0r1:

J. Michael Tatum was outstanding as Sebastian and has always done a great English accent. Cheramie Leigh's accent in BB was horrifying though. God I hope that was on purpose. But Tatum and Brina Palencia are one of my dream teams since Spice and Wolf.

Sadly I don't believe that it was.

Tatum and Brina got me through Spice and Wolf as they really downplayed the IMO inane romantic aspect of the show, which drove me up the wall in the Japanese version. That show was oversold to me regarding its coverage of economics but the dub picked up the slack. Definitely a show that the dub saved for me.