Anime you're struggling to finish?

• Not necessarily bad anime just shows that didn't hold your interest or were drastically different than what you expected.

I'm finding it difficult to finish ROBOTICS; Notes. I was expecting something a little more similar to Steins;Gate or Chaos;HEAd.

• I'm just desperately struggling to stay interested in the medium as a whole at this point. XD

• I had really hard time watching Shigurui: Death Frenzy. It didn't have much dialogue and i find the anime really disturbing. So, it's was really hard for me to watch more then one episode per a day.

• @Soundmonkey44:

I'm just desperately struggling to stay interested in the medium as a whole at this point. XD

This season in particular doesn't really help with that.

I'd say the only things I'm really struggling with are some older titles, or really long shows, I've added to my CR queue.

Oh, and the few Funi shows I'm viewing through Hulu Plus. Hurry up with that app, Funi, I've moved beyond watching anime on my computer, and am waiting to buy that 6 month deal.

• Thankfully Sailor Moon streams & Toonami keep me danglin on the ol fish hook. XD

• Currently the only thing I can think of struggling through is Bleach. It's just a lot of, "Yeah, but, there are other things I could be watching that I'd rather check out," and as a result I only watch one or two episodes at a time

Kill la Kill took an unusually long time for me to finish, as did Katanagatari (though the latter was mostly because those episodes are long, yo. I get tired)

• I started watching "Full Metal Alchemist" on my XBOX ONE and then stopped a few episodes in because I felt bad for watching it on an AdFree website. I haven't continued it since. Ill probably just buy it this summer and watch it.

• One anime I really wanted to love was Shinsekai Yori. An intelligent and cerebral dystopian sci-fi/horror thriller with a female protagonist? That sounds like the exact recipe for my favorite anime ever. It even made reddit and MAL flip their s**t because it has dudes making out, sign me the hell up!

Unfortunately, I kinda stalled out around episode 9 or so. The characters felt way too detached and fabricated for me to get invested in them, and the focus on worldbuilding was especially tedious. It felt less like a story and more like a documentary about a fictional country. SSY had so many good ideas, but I just couldn't get invested in the way it was trying to present them.

@EyeOfPain:

This season in particular doesn't really help with that.

Wut. This is one of the best seasons in years. A new Yuasa anime, a new Mushishi season, more Jojo's, and swath of confidently watchable shows like Chaika, Sidonia, or One Week Friends. I don't see how this isn't like, an objectively remarkable season of anime.

• @Renzokuken:

Wut. This is one of the best seasons in years.

It definitely is. By far. It has restored my faith in modern anime with shows that are so intriguing that I'm simulcasting them.
    @Renzokuken:

[From the New World] even made reddit and MAL flip their s**t because it has dudes making out, sign me the hell up!

…you're making me feel bad that I bought this. I guess I've seen worse. I'm saddened to hear so much criticism of its story and the way that it is told as shows like that need the dub to smooth over the flaws and Chris Ayres is batting in the bottom of Sentai's lineup.

Anyhow,
    No Game, No Life: The games where they BS the rules, the cheapy art and animation and the hit-'n-miss comedy are dragging this one down for me.
    Black Bullet: This show is great when it is doing the Bruce Willis/Solty Rei thing with the main dude and his boss but when it comes to the main dude and his stereotypical loli sidekick it really drags. This show really should have borrowed from Gunslinger Girl with the older male/superpowered loli pairings.

• @sidereal_presence:

I'm saddened to hear so much criticism of its story

Historically, our specific metrics for adequate storytelling seem to be so at-odds that I'm surprised you wouldn't take my criticism as a ringing endorsement.

• @Renzokuken:

Historically, our specific metrics for adequate storytelling seem to be so at-odds that I'm surprised you wouldn't take my criticism as a ringing endorsement.

TBH I was motivated to check out the show due to the overwhelming amount of criticism it got on "teh interwebs" but I've seen a bit of it and I'm not exactly feeling it.

It would be cool if there were an ironclad "if the internet criticizes it, then it must be awesome" rule for me but there doesn't seem to be. Which is probably a good thing as I'd be in a quandary if there were one over shows like Psycho-pass as ANN heavily criticized its storytelling flaws but then went on to praise it. :)

• I've been stuck on episode 150 of Naruto for the longest time. It was one of those jeez this is getting repetitive things so I had to go to something new. Haven't been able to start watching it again, as something new keeps catching my eye.

• Kill la Kill. It seems to be a popular one now, but I'm at episode 5, and don't have much interest in continuing. I can't define what I think is 'wrong' with it, but it's just not engaging me in any way, character or story wise.

• Gintama is taking a long time for me to finish simply because it's so long. I really like it, but it's one of those shows that I can only watch a handful of episodes here and there and I need to be in the right mood to watch it.

And I'm not sure I'll ever finish Sailor Moon SuperS. I really liked that arc in the manga, but the anime version is painful, and since S was so good that just made it even worse.

• @elux72:

Kill la Kill. It seems to be a popular one now, but I'm at episode 5, and don't have much interest in continuing. I can't define what I think is 'wrong' with it, but it's just not engaging me in any way, character or story wise.

I don't blame you, the same thing happened for me with Kill la Kill. Anime that like to be high-energy just for the sake of being high-energy just turn me away. Not that I was unable to finish this (or TTGL) but I just can't get into to something that tries to force itself to be exciting.

And while I eventually finished it last year, Attack on Titan was a real grinder. I guess the same rule from above could apply here, but the story was also a bit too plot-twisty. Levi and Mikasa fighting the female titan finally got me interested, but it didn't last long.

As for something popular I actually stopped watching? I'll have to say A Certain Magical Index. Couldn't get past the third episode after a whole bunch of talk about a loli filled with infinite knowledge, and evildoers trying to capture her…or something.

I guess I'm a pretty weird anime fan, right? These high-energy shounen series, or anything that's real heavy on magical action (Shana/Index/Railgun) don't do anything for me, but I can sit through Bakemonogatari, and actually stay focused through all that dialogue.

• I have a lot on the back burner (only because I have so many I start lol). So the only show that I actually struggle to watch/ finish is Asethetica of a Rogue Hero.

• @tb_ericcartman:

I have a lot on the back burner (only because I have so many I start lol). So the only show that I actually struggle to watch/ finish is Asethetica of a Rogue Hero.

Aesthetica subbed is painful to watch but Aesthetica dubbed is great. If it helps lol.

• Personally I'd say Rouge Hero is painful no matter what language you watch it in. :p

BOT: I'm too lazy to finish Yowpeda! XD

• @Soundmonkey44:

Personally I'd say Rouge Hero is painful no matter what language you watch it in. :p

BOT: I'm too lazy to finish Yowpeda! XD

Sad face :P

• There are tons of anime I would struggle to get through if I wasn't watching them online and could skip past the more repetitive or cliche scenes. Character A trips and falls on opposite sex character B, male character gets smacked <skip>, Shounen villain X goes through long monologue explaining how he negated hero Y's powers and how his own powers work <skip>. Close up on the 10th character in Attack on Titan showing a look of abject horror on their face and them exclaiming how they're all going to die <skip>.</skip></skip></skip>

• @Renzokuken:

Wut. This is one of the best seasons in years. A new Yuasa anime, a new Mushishi season, more Jojo's, and swath of confidently watchable shows like Chaika, Sidonia, or One Week Friends. I don't see how this isn't like, an objectively remarkable season of anime.

There are a few enjoyable shows this season, but none of the new series (ex: not Jojo or Mushi-shi) have been standout surprise hits, but I haven't seen Sidonia yet.

I'm sure I'm just spoiled by Kill la Kill.

@7jaws7:

I guess I'm a pretty weird anime fan, right? These high-energy shounen series, or anything that's real heavy on magical action (Shana/Index/Railgun) don't do anything for me, but I can sit through Bakemonogatari, and actually stay focused through all that dialogue.

Try Mouryou no Hako. I don't remember which episode it was, but it's about 23 minutes of the primary characters sitting around a table discussing the origin of Japanese words, and it's fascinating.