2014 Amazons of Anime : Final Battle : Revy vs. Balsa

• After countless battles, here we are with the two last warriors standing.

Revy looks to follow in the footsteps of the past two champions - Saber and Utena - as the third consecutive number one ranked heroine to win the tournament. Revy has already won the 2012 Best Anime Character tournament. Could she be the first character to win multiple tournaments here at Funimation?

Balsa, on the other hand, has made an impressive habit of knocking out such champions. She’s already defeated the 2009 and 2013 best characters, Lina and Erza. Is Revy next?

So, who is the best heroine?

VERSUS

Posted votes count extra!

• I think I'll have to stick with Balsa. Revy's badass, but she's also a little unhinged, and while I still like her I prefer Balsa's maturity, intelligence, and compassion. Plus Balsa's pretty badass in her own way.

• I'll be taking a page out of Renzo's book for this one.

• Balsa - Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

• So it all comes down to this. And I have to say, other than the absence of Major Kusanagi and Rally Vincent, I personally could not be happier with the way things turned out.

I love both of these characters a lot, and no matter who wins, I'll be satisfied with the outcome. That having been said, however, I'm giving my final vote to Balsa.

Of all my favorite female anime characters in the world, Balsa is in my top three. She's tough, yet caring, fierce, yet tender, fearless, yet maternal. She possesses both the strength of a thousand men and a heart the size of a mountain. She puts the needs of others in front of her own, yet doesn't take any lip from anyone.

She is, without a doubt, the picture-perfect example of a strong, independent, well-written female lead character, not only in anime, but in all of fiction as we know it.

On the other hand, Revy is cool too, but, let's face it…. She's really just a sociopathic nutcase who prefers to solve all her problems by putting a bullet in them. If not for her role as the lead character, she would just as easily find herself on the villains list. She's willing to threaten or kill children, innocent bystanders, unarmed opponents, and even her companions if any of them so much as get in her way or piss her off, and she's got a fuse shorter than the butt-huggers hanging from her haunches. She's loud, obnoxious, and violent, and while that makes her very entertaining indeed, she's far from a good example of a character to strive to be like.

That's why for my final vote, I choose to vote for Balsa, the 2014 Amazons of Anime champion. :)

• Balsa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• My vote for the final goes to Balsa.

• Never thought I'd see Two-Hands getting trounced so badly by such a relatively obscure character. As much as I love Balsa, and I would easily count both of these characters among my favorites, it just wouldn't sit right with me to see Revy end the match with only a single vote.

• This would be a tougher choice since I like both characters quite a bit. But since things seem to be slipping towards a full blown beatdown I'm gonna give my final vote to Revy.

• @Renzokuken:

Never thought I'd see Two-Hands getting trounced so badly by such a relatively obscure character. As much as I love Balsa, and I would easily count both of these characters among my favorites, it just wouldn't sit right with me to see Revy end the match with only a single vote.

"Relatively obscure"? I'll have you know Moribito was on American television long before Black Lagoon was.

• Have to be honest, this is far from the grand finale that I would have wanted…but my taste in characters is quite different from most I suppose. :P

That said...I guess I'll have to give it to Revy, just to show support for the underdog.

• @Gyt:

I'll have to give it to Revy, just to show support for the underdog.

Underdog? Revy is probably the absolute favorite in this tournament. Balsa is the real underdog here, despite the overwhelming support.

By the way, Revy came from behind to beat the most popular character from the most popular anime right now, so don't think for a moment that she will get beaten so easily.

• Not to mention most of Balsa's votes came shortly after the poll went up. The day is still very young. I imagine Revy will get a sharp boost in votes later in the evening, including some from people who will vote against Balsa just because they're angry she beat Lina yesterday. :P

Honestly, neither outcome would surprise me very much, but I do like both of these characters a lot, so I'll be happy either way. I just like Balsa more and I think it's her time to be in the spotlight.

• @SpacemanHardy:

"Relatively obscure"? I'll have you know Moribito was on American television long before Black Lagoon was.

And I will have you know this is incorrect. Black Lagoon originally premiered on US television in 2008 on the ancillary cable channel Starz Edge, almost a full year before Moribito would make it's debut on Adult Swim.

• @Renzokuken:

And I will have you know this is incorrect. Black Lagoon originally premiered on US television in 2008 on the ancillary cable channel Starz Edge, almost a full year before Moribito would make it's debut on Adult Swim.

While that may be true, how many more people watch Adult Swim compared to Starz Edge?

• I guess I should clarify, by 'underdog' I meant in terms of the amount of poll votes so far, not any comment on Revy's overall standing. Hell, she's won the tournament outright before, so she's definitely not an underdog in the truest sense of the word. So yeah, I just meant it in regards to this particular poll itself.

Hopefully no harm no foul, right? :P

• @SpacemanHardy:

While that may be true, how many more people watch Adult Swim compared to Starz Edge?

I recall the Moribito broadcast being pretty unpopular, but it would be hard to say without actual ratings data that I don't have access to. But I do have the data from MAL, where Black Lagoon eclipses Moribito in viewers by almost 3-to-1. Haibane Renmei, an arthouse drama from 2002, is more popular on MAL than Moribito. I think calling Moribito more obscure than Black Lagoon is pretty indisputable.

• @Gyt:

Hopefully no harm no foul, right? :P

Certainly not; I was just hoping you would vote for who you thought the better heroine was, not the one who was losing by several votes ~_^

• Giving my vote to Revy.

• My vote goes to Balsa.

• If Revy loses here, would this be the second time she makes it to the finale and doesn't take it all? I'm drawing a blank as to who Utena faced off against in last years tourney, but for some reason I'm thinking it was her. Either way though Balsa get's my vote.