E3 2014 Discussion Thread

• When: June 10-12, 2014
    Where: LA, California (Los Angeles Convention Center)

Press Conferences:
    Microsoft (June 9 at 9:30/8:30 A.M. CT)
    Electronic Arts (June 9 at 12:00/11:00 A.M. CT)
    Ubisoft (June 9 at 3:00/2:00 P.M. CT)
    Sony (June 9 at 6:00/5:00 P.M. CT)

Nintendo (Digital Event)(June 10 at 9:00/8:00 CT)

List Of Exhibitors
    Activision Blizzard
    Bandai Namco
    Bethesda
    Capcom
    CD Projekt RED
    Crytek
    Deep Silver
    Disney
    Electronic Arts
    Epic
    Konami
    Microsoft
    Nintendo
    Sega
    Sony
    Square Enix
    Telltale
    Ubisoft
    Warner Bros.
    Zynga

Who's feeling ready?

• I'm curious to see if Retro Studios will have their next project at this year's E3. Hopefully it'll be the very Metroid game that will clean up the mess that Other M left behind.

• Looking forward to seeing what Nintendo has to offer, and learning more about the Sonic Boom Cartoon & Video Games.

• Looking forward to seeing what Bethesda is offering (BattleCry, namely). Sunset Overdrive gameplay would also be greatly appreciated. Sony's presser is such a mystery that it'll either be balls amazing or just all kinds of unappealing. Can't say I'm expecting Microsoft to focus much on the Kinect this time around (lol), but early murmurs say they've got quite a few intriguing things lined up, so I'm cautiously optimistic

This is essentially Nintendo's last grasp and I honestly don't expect them to announce much - mostly just rehash whatever it is they've already confirmed from previous Directs. WiiU simply hasn't been profitable (and no, MK8 doesn't prove the console is selling. The game is just enabling the exceptionally vocal people who have already purchased the console to justify their investment in the past year plus). I'm definitely expecting a high emphasis on all things portable to try and squash out the Vita competition, so they at least have one domain they can call their own

• "Nintendo's last grasp". Sounds like a good name for A Mario Zombie Apocolypse Fan-Fic.

Meh, people can be negative all they want. Nintendo is still awesome.

Also 82% of the Mario Kart 8 sales in the U.K. Were the bundle with the Wii-U console. ;)

• I'm hoping to see some truly next-gen games that go "all in" on the PS4/Xbone, games that aren't targeted for the 360.

No more embarrassing "modern" games that look (and play) like something limited by the 2005 tech of the 360, like Watch Dogs. No more games based on the ancient Unreal Engine 3 as that doesn't seem capable of getting the PS4 & Xbone to solid 1080p with 60 FPS graphics.

It'd be nice to see something that both looks modern and is interesting on the Wii U. All I've seen on it has failed to impress. IMO Nintendo hasn't had a console since the GameCube and it'd be nice if they could put out something that makes me change my mind :)

• @Soundmonkey44:

"Nintendo's last grasp". Sounds like a good name for A Mario Zombie Apocolypse Fan-Fic.

Meh, people can be negative all they want. Nintendo is still awesome.

Also 82% of the Mario Kart 8 sales in the U.K. Were the bundle with the Wii-U console. ;)

My grandma is awesome, but she doesn't know what cloud sharing is either. It's so far beyond ridiculous that digital content is console-locked on each individual WiiU. This is a seventh generation console attempting to compete with two eighth generation powerhouses

It's all kinds of fitting that Nintendo would get a significant increase in WiiU sales just five months after they bought back all their shares in a panic to abandon the console and devise a brand new business strategy

• Modern Gamers are just young hooligans that do not know how to show proper respect to their grandparents! Very sad. :(

• I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Mortal Kombat X.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Modern Gamers are just young hooligans that do not know how to show proper respect to their grandparents! Very sad. :(

It is not in my best interests to give my respect (here, respect = money) to a company that has already begun to abandon the console it released two years ago. The grave had already started to form when they released a console a year early to steal sales away from the next generation, even though it had 12 additional months to actually figure out what the general population wanted in a home console

• @Riles:

It is not in my best interests to give my respect (here, respect = money) to a company that has already begun to abandon the console it released two years ago.

Didn't you tell me you were interested in buying a WiiU? It sounds here like you're not interested in Nintendo at all anymore.

I do agree that Nintendo's been doing poorly with the WiiU though.

• The Wii-U may not be Nintendos best system, but there are still things coming down the pike such as Bayonetta 2, Sonic Boom & Super Smash Bros.

Plus there's rumors of a Wii-I StarFox, here's hoping

But yes I do agree the 3DS is the better system Overall and has a lot more fun games to offer. but I'm bias as I've preferred handhelds since I was a child, I'm weird like that

Still can't wait to see what all 3DS & Wii-U goodness Nintendo & co have to offer a E3!!! :)

• @Soundmonkey44:

Still can't wait to see what all 3DS & Wii-U goodness Nintendo & co have to offer a E3!!!

Same. I'm hopeful that Nintendo will have something good ready to show us, specifically for the WiiU, I'm really happy with the 3DS so far.

• @Firefly:

Didn't you tell me you were interested in buying a WiiU? It sounds here like you're not interested in Nintendo at all anymore.

I was, and then I found out about all those market shares a couple days ago and was sort of shocked at how quickly they've implicitly declared it a failure. At the time it seemed worth it to pick up the games that aren't going to be on anything else, but at this point (and it's certainly possible they can turn it around with a solid Direct), it just doesn't seem wise to invest if they aren't committed to providing content themselves. That doesn't change the fact that I'm disappointed with the inability to play several games that I want to play, of course

For a while I assumed it was a foregone conclusion that I would get the "best" console in the generation from the most tolerable company (Nintendo; the other two consoles are significantly better in terms of being a console, but there's no denying that Nintendo's exclusives are better, and graphics aren't a concern to me as long as I have a PC), but at this point I'm starting to believe that literally nothing might be a preferred alternative. It's just as well, I guess, since I can use all that money to finally start buying 3DS games for this handheld of which I only own one game

• I still have a lot of 3DS games I wanna catch up on, I only have 4 games, but there's so many more I want to pick up, Luigi's Mansion, Project X Zone, Mario golf & tennis, New Yoshi's Island, the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World, etc. …

But yea, even if the Wii-U only has a small handful of gems, the 3DS has more then enough to keep anyone occupied IMO, which reminds me I needa finish Pokemon X & Kirby Triple Deluxe sometime this summer!

• @Riles:

I was, and then I found out about all those market shares a couple days ago and was sort of shocked at how quickly they've implicitly declared it a failure.

Ah I see, that makes sense. I know Nintendo's been doing pretty badly with the WiiU, but I hadn't heard about the market shares before. That's not a smart move on their part since it angers customers who have supported them and turns away potential buyers as well.

• I'm hoping there are going to be some good announcements for Microsoft, so that my Xbox One doesn't keep sitting on the shelf, while the PS4 gets all the use. A few really great exclusives or something worthwhile would be nice.

• @Firefly:

Ah I see, that makes sense. I know Nintendo's been doing pretty badly with the WiiU, but I hadn't heard about the market shares before. That's not a smart move on their part since it angers customers who have supported them and turns away potential buyers as well.

I guess it wasn't as discussed as it probably should have been. I had no idea about it until my dad mentioned something about it and I had to look it up

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/nintendo-ceo-wii-u-isnt-in-good-shape-plans-1-2b-stock-buyback/

Even scarier is the report that Nintendo's lost 80% of its value since 2007, which is right about the time where the Wii started collecting dust on my shelf without buying any new first party games I wanted to play (MKWii, SSBB, and Kirby's Epic Yarn are the only three I remember purchasing. Three games in five years is not good!)

But it's not like Nintendo's ever gonna go bankrupt. They're still kings of the handheld and there's absolutely no indication that this won't be the case for the next decade. I expect them to level out somewhere between Gamecube-era Nintendo and present-day Sega

@Davidism:

I'm hoping there are going to be some good announcements for Microsoft, so that my Xbox One doesn't keep sitting on the shelf, while the PS4 gets all the use. A few really great exclusives or something worthwhile would be nice.

I have an obscene number of fingers crossed that Sunset Overdrive is going to deliver on everything that the pre-rendered trailer suggested last year

• Microsoft show happened, there was only one game that hadn't previously been leaked, and even then it wasn't exactly a game, just a character reintroduction

Underwhelming, but expected. Not a laughable show, just a bland one with a lot of pre-renders

• If I have a PS4 by 2015 might get the new Tomb Raider they Announed.

Anywho in other news Nintendo put up a bunch of trailers for E-Shop stuff, deff looking forward to the Ace Attorney collection, might check afew others out as well once they come out, and looking forward to PersonaQ on 3DS. The second Pac-Man Ghostly advenutres was announced for Wii-U/PS4/XBO I liked the first one well enough may get the second, glad they added Cylindria & Spiral as playable chars for the sequel.

Anywho looking forward to more Nintendo news. Also looking forward to seeing what Ubisoft, Capcom, SEGA Square & Sony have to offer.

• EA's presser was mostly crap, but Battlefield: Hardline made some impressive waves, especially since the closed beta is available today and I got a code for it, woohoo. NHL 15 looked remarkable and FIFA 15's physics and crowd control were moderately outstanding, but the rest was balarney

I'll take EA's crappy show but with one super awesome great moment (Hardline) over Microsoft's general "meh" fest

It's no coincidence that the game I'm most excited for so far is the one that provided the most gameplay