Monogatari Series Discussion Thread

• This will be a thread for the entire -monogatari franchise, the "second season" of which is currently streaming on Daisuke and Crunchyroll.

Synopsis:
    @ANN:

Although there are still traces of the brief period he became a vampire, third-year high school student Koyomi Araragi is human again. He happens upon others with their own supernatural problems and finds that he can empathize. Koyomi becomes involved in their lives, seeking to help them and occasionally asking for advice from Meme Oshino, the homeless man who helped him become human again.

@ANN:

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, horror, mystery, psychological, romance, supernatural
    Themes: absurdity, dark comedy, fanservice, harem, magic and occult, spirits, vampires, youkai
    Objectionable content: Significant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X63_YYZjKxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzcr93Ng1QQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3WUp66r66A

I gotta say, the current season of -monogatari has completely blown away everything that came before it. Madoka Magica is superior in a lot ways, but I think the -monogatari series will be always be remembered as Akiyuki Shinbo's magnum opus.

• Since a bunch of stuff between Nise- and Second Series seems to have been left off of CR, I haven't jumped into the current incarnation just yet.

I think Neko- and something else ended up being Daisuki exclusives, and since they don't currently have an easy way to watch their shows via consoles (I once got a reply on their Facebook page that an Xbox app is in the plans), I haven't jumped ahead to 2nd.

It probably doesn't matter much, since chronological storytelling didn't ever seem too important in this franchise, but I'd still rather watch what's out there in production order, unless it really doesn't make a difference to the experience.

• Nekomonogatari Black is actually a prequel of sorts, so it's not entirely required for the new season. it just gives you some background context for the Tsubasa Tiger arc. The current season mostly the continuation of Hanakawa and Nadeko's character arcs from Bake.

• I haven't seen any of the prequals. AllI have seen is just Bake&Nise along with the current "Second" thats runnin. I love the show. I jus twish we were given just a little more time to read thoes text screens sometimes. Some go by so fast I can't catch them on a pause. But the show is very entertaing and interesting. Wish Cr could get however many prequal movies/series are out.

• @Renzokuken:

Nekomonogatari Black is actually a prequel of sorts, so it's not entirely required for the new season. it just gives you some background context for the Tsubasa Tiger arc. The current season mostly the continuation of Hanakawa and Nadeko's character arcs from Bake.

Good to know, thanks.

• The Monogataris are so out of order that I'm honestly not sure which one to watch first if I recommend it to a friend. For now I still say to watch them as they were released, but to me it's really a toss-up as to whether Nise, Neko, or Bake should be the first one watched

At the very least, I'm glad that I know Second Season should probably be watched after all three

• I watched it out of order because of the order CR put them up, Nise and then Bake, and now Second. I've also seen an Nekomonogatari Black on Daisuki. I think that although these are a bit out of order occurrence-wise when it comes to release order, I think it is a situation just like in the case of the Kara no Kyoukai movies where despite things are referred to that occur in the past or present it is still best to watch in the order they are released. Out of the three series I think I have liked the most recent best. The Hachikuji arc was good, I like seeing the interaction between Shinobu and Araragi and learning a little more about why they are connected. I haven't missed something that was released that actually goes through that whole occurrence where he first met her did I?

• @batou

No, you haven't missed anything. There's going to be a movie (Kizumonogatari) covering Ararararagi meeting Shinobu. Should be awesome, but I have a feeling we've still got quite the wait ahead of us.

• @Riles:

The Monogataris are so out of order that I'm honestly not sure which one to watch first if I recommend it to a friend. For now I still say to watch them as they were released, but to me it's really a toss-up as to whether Nise, Neko, or Bake should be the first one watched

I'm pretty sure you should never recommend Nise first, especially with that toothbrushing scene.

• I'd say Bake, Nise, Black, and then second makes the most sense to me.

• @EyeOfPain:

I'm pretty sure you should never recommend Nise first, especially with that toothbrushing scene.

lol, on the other hand, it might be best to get that one out of the way first so people know what they're getting themselves into

• The Onimonogatari preview came out today and it is exactly what I was hoping to see with this series, the back-story of Shinobu Oshino. Link:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-19/monogatari-2nd-season-onimonogatari-promo-streamed

• Monogatari is the first anime second or third how many season exist and they all have names correct?

• @catseyestiger:

Monogatari is the first anime second or third how many season exist and they all have names correct?

Broadcast order is Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Nekomonogatari Black -> Monogatari Second

• Defently lookingg forward to more Monogatari. Nomatter how the order outside form Bake>Nise to the current Monogatari2nd is, I'm realy enjoying the series. Hopeing Animpley or someone finaly get the movies though. Already saving money for the BD sets to hopefully go on sale this holiday season.

• Hoooooly %$#@… the latest episode may be one of the most visually stunning single episodes of anime I've ever seen. Takes notes Japan, this is how you do an infodumpy flashback episode.

• @Renzokuken:

Hoooooly %$#@… the latest episode may be one of the most visually stunning single episodes of anime I've ever seen. Takes notes Japan, this is how you do an infodumpy flashback episode.

This last episode was absolutely fantastic. The presentation and art were very well done, and the content itself was very interesting. And Shinobu is my second favorite of the girls after Senjougahara, so there's that too.

Second Season has passed up Bakemonogatari in terms of how much I'm enjoying it. The one element I'm missing is Senjougahara, though I assume we'll see more of her in the next arc with the way the last one ended.

• I… didn't think this series would make me cry, but then episode 20 struck. Hachikuji... T_T

Koimonogatari seems like another really good arc. Kaiki's a rather amusing fellow, so despite what he did in the past it's nice to see him back.

• I started watching the first series on CR today. Kind of reminds me of Mu Shi Shi in a way. I've only watched the first three episodes, but I like it so far! I realize I have a lot of catching up to do in order to post anything of substance, but give me a couple days and I'll get to the current season!

• Wow, what a way to end the season! This episode was great, wasn't expecting that to be Nadeko's big secret, and then that ending…. I liked Kaiki too.

• I Think is a good show with four seaons