I need some terms clearification.

• I know OVAs are basically bonus episodes, and from what I can tell from the UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie show, you need to already know the characters and what's already happened to fully enjoy them. But what does "OVA" stand for? Also what about the genres? Shonen, Bishonen, Bishoujo, Moe, Yuri? Sorry if I sound stupid, but I'm Canadian, and Japanese stuff isn't really something I know a whole lot aboot.

• Don't worry too much about not being familiar with the various terms yet, they'll all sink in eventually. If you find a term you don't know you can use ANN's Lexicon: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php

For the terms you listed in your post:
    OVA (or OAV) = Original Video Animation
    Yuri - Girls' Love (lesbian) - Yaoi would be the male equivalent
    Bishoujo/Bishounen = pretty girl/boy

Shounen, shoujo, seinen, and josei are all demographics, not genres. Shounen is aimed at young boys about 10-18 years of age, shoujo is the female equivalent. Seinen is aimed at men around college age, and josei is the female equivalent.

Moe is hard to define, fans don't seem to agree on a set definition. Typically it seems to mean an ideal and innocent cuteness.

• @Firefly:

Moe is hard to define, fans don't seem to agree on a set definition. Typically it seems to mean an ideal and innocent cuteness.

For the record… I am very moe

• the thing with UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie is that funimation only has the second half of the show. there are two seasons, each with 12 episodes, that come before what funimation has. ovas 1-6 make season three and 7 and 8 make up season 4. seasons 1 and 2 appear to be out of print, but i have no idea if the license for each is available or if the defunct ADV still holds on to them in some capacity

• @Firefly:

@Davidism:

For the record… I am very moe

So… You're hard to define?

• There are other differing definitions and opinions on what moe really is, but that right there is a pretty good explanation.

• @duckerdoo:

So… You're hard to define?

I've been saying that since they started this anime nerd thing.

You get 50 internets. Use them wisely.

• Its a good thing that I had a classmate last year that was really into anime, almost too much. (he attacked a kid in our gym class for calling it a cartoon). If I hadn't talked to him I probably would have been lost with the Japan terms.

By the way, Davidism, did you change your profile pic since last night?

• @sandman64:

Its a good thing that I had a classmate last year that was really into anime, almost too much. (he attacked a kid in our gym class for calling it a cartoon).

!

• Also, OVAs or OAVs are usually very short series and they are usually (but not always) made as little extras, essentially, for existing popular shows.

Think of a mini-series in America– longer than normal episode lengths, usually 3-8 episodes, self contained storyline, but OVAs in Japan TEND to be additional story arcs for existing anime show IPs, rather than new things. Not universal, just usually.

• If you want a great terminology book check out the Otaku encyclopedia:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Otaku-Encyclopedia-Insiders-Subculture/dp/1568365497/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401464549&sr=8-1&keywords=the+otaku+encyclopedia

It's a great book, easy to understand, fun with some good articles in it too. I liked it alot and didn't find it as dry as some other similar books

• @Getchman:

seasons 1 and 2 appear to be out of print,

Season 1 and 2 are still in print, ADV released a new sat over a year ago.

• @sandman64:

Its a good thing that I had a classmate last year that was really into anime, almost too much. (he attacked a kid in our gym class for calling it a cartoon).

Most people fail to realize that it is a cartoon. Just one that gets the "Made in Japan" stamp on the bottom of it.

@sandman64:

If I hadn't talked to him I probably would have been lost with the Japan terms.

As with all things, it takes time to get a working knowledge of the terminology.

@sandman64:

By the way, Davidism, did you change your profile pic since last night?

As a matter of fact I did. Ten Ten is way better than Nine Nine.

• @Davidism:

As a matter of fact I did. Ten Ten is way better than Nine Nine.

One better, anyway.

Like Spinal Tap amps. ~_^

• @TIL:

One better, anyway.

Like Spinal Tap amps. ~_^

1010 - 99 > 1 :)

• @sidereal_presence:

1010 - 99 > 1 :)

(10x10) - 99 = 1 ;P

• @TIL:

(10x10) - 99 = 1 ;P

This is true, however I don't believe that you can get "10x10" from just "ten ten". If it were "ten tens" or "ten by ten" though…

Since "twenty fourteen" ->2014, "ten ten" -> 1010.

...can there really be a discussion of moe that doesn't also encompass the moeblob, aka the cancer that is killing anime? ;)

• TenTen sucks, she is by far the worst shinobi in all the land

Her ninja ability is being able to carry weapons around. She's a pack mule. She summons weapons the same way Kekkashi summons dogs and Naruto summons toads, and that's terrible. Like, congratulations, you can summon inanimate objects

It's not even like wielding weapons is a special trait among shinobi. Basically everyone uses some weapon tool to assist them in battle. Simply being able to wield all of them in succession is about the lamest jutsu in the world

It is sickening to see this much discussion about TenTen, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the character. I am highly offended

• @Riles:

TenTen sucks, she is by far the worst shinobi in all the land

Too true. Despite having full "ninja powers" she is far lamer a ninja than the guy who doesn't have "ninja powers": Rock Lee.

Poor TenTen spent the entirety of the Naruto eps that I saw as a "one trick pony", stuck with basically her rather ineffective parlor trick of summoning weapons while other characters were getting "awesomer".

• @sidereal_presence:

Too true. Despite having full "ninja powers" she is far lamer a ninja than the guy who doesn't have "ninja powers": Rock Lee.

@Riles:

It is sickening to see this much discussion about TenTen, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the character. I am highly offended

was that a joke or were you being serious?
    I was just asking Davidism if he changed his avatar recently, I wasn't asking people to bash the character on his avatar…
    I'm not trying to sound like an a** but I wouldn't like it if someone started talking trash about a character I had as my avatar and I don't think you would like it if someone did it to you either.

This thread is getting wayyy off topic anyways, (partially my fault for asking an unrelated question) so lets end this discussion.