Opinions on English snk voices

• Here is where you can talk about what you think about the English voices for attack on titan
    I don't like them very much myself
    Eren's and Armin's voices are too deep and the others just don't fit
    But I don't have anything against English dubs
    I watched soul eater and FMA: B in English
    I liked FMA: B's english voices more than the Japanese ones
    Anyone else agree?

• I like the dub voices themselves, Bryce as Eren is the only one at this point that I'm not quite sure I like. And I prefer Armin's English voice actually, it's closer to what I imagine him sounding like while reading the manga. The only real problem I have with the dub is that some of the trio's dialogue has been slightly altered in a way impacts their characters, but I've watched the show about 4 times through in Japanese so maybe others won't notice or care too much about that.

• Everyone's perfect for me except Bryce, but at the same time I don't think anyone else could've done it better.

• I like Grelle but I do wonder what would have happened if Sean Michael Teague had been brought in as Armin.

Funimation has quite a few actors who can play "wimpy male leads" really well when called upon (eg: Grelle, Ayres, McDonald) but SMT can give 'em all a run for their money, which is impressive considering that McDonald played Jacuzzi Splot, one of the wimpiest male characters ever in a Funi dub and he rocked it.

Why Funimation decided to get Bryce Papenbrook in for Eren is a mystery. I might be able to understand McFarland wanting a different voice from the normal Funimation crew but Bryce is the lead in so many shows of late that if that was the plan it, well, didn't work.

• The problem with Sean Michael Teague is that his voice often comes across as TOO wimpy. His role as Ren Mihashi is one of the many, many reasons why I absolutely cannot stand Big Windup.

Mihashi was already annoying to begin with, but the way he played that character made my skin crawl. I'm a former victim of bullying myself, so I can usually relate to characters who go through that sort of thing. But Mihashi was such a whiny, pathetic wuss, even I wanted to pick on him. And Sean certainly didn't help in that regard.

• Wouldn't that be perfect for Armin, the wimpiest of the wimpy? Everyone, including Armin himself, in the show hates Armin's wimpiness so if the actor could make Armin so wimpy that the viewer himself hates Armin's wimpiness then that'd be a "mission accomplished" IMO.

…after Little Busters (+ Clannad) and Princess Nine I have to admit that I've avoided all other baseball anime like the plague, so I haven't seen Big Windup.

• so, you watched two shows that had a random, nonsensical game of baseball and a 16 year old show that has not aged well, decided that was the best anime had to offer with regards to baseball and have called it quits? sounds entirely reasonable

• ^ Hey now, Princess Nine was the SHIT!! Don't nobody better not talk about no Princess Nine that way!! >.<

• @Getchman:

so, you watched two shows that had a random, nonsensical game of baseball and a 16 year old show that has not aged well, decided that was the best anime had to offer with regards to baseball and have called it quits? sounds entirely reasonable

That's a nifty middle ground between a strawman and everyone's favorite "reductio ad absurdum". I'm sure there's a name for it out there lol.

Sports anime's schtick is to use the sport as a paper-thin premise to facilitate the development of the characters. I can deal with that, though I like the sports anime that go further in depth, but when the show just BS-es the sport then I call shenanigans and walk away. I've seen other baseball anime besides the few that I listed and they have all treated baseball like the early episodes of No Game No Life treated Chess (ie:just pouring on the BS) and that's not cool in my book. So I'm taking Futurama's advice on baseball anime ("fool me eight or more times…") :)

• Now that I've seen through episode 7 of the dub, I'm still rather pleased, but there is one little thing other than the dialogue alterations that's bothering me now….

! I really dislike the Rogue Titan's screams.

• I must agree that after a few watches online the dubbed voices aren't bad at all. In fact I liked them. Plus Matt Mercer as Captain Levi was very sexy.

However, the Titan vocalizations are so bad it's funny. Whoever made the comment of them sounding like dinosaurs was spot on.
    A Titan voice sounds like a Velociraptor.

• Finished part 1 this morning. Mercer's Levi, while I don't like it quite as much as Hiroshi Kamiya's Levi (since I'm a huge Kamiya fan, mostly), is quite good. The scene where Levi is speaking to his dying comrade in was especially good. And Pixis is pretty much perfect, I only wish he appeared more in the anime. I'm a little iffy on Tatum's Erwin so far, but I like Tatum's other work enough where I'm sure his performance here will grow on me. Hange will also take some getting used to.

The Rogue Titan's screams also sounded slightly better than they did in episode 7.

But some of the word choice still kind of makes me scratch my head here and there. It's the same message technically, but the tone is different. Oh well, mouth flaps and all, not a huge deal breaker. Funi did pretty well with this one, IMO.

• I have tried to get into this show, and on some level I find it watchable. But the dub is just… horrible, and doesn't give me much hope for the sub either. I'm almost afraid to watch the sub, because it seems every other line of dialogue in this show involves meladromatic over-the-top yelling and screaming like a retard at all times.

If its one thing I hate worse than listening to whiny, grating, "omg yell every line" voices, its hearing it in Japanese.. So yeah, pretty much afraid to even try the sub stream.

• yup, lots of overacting in Japanese as well. more-so I believe than what's present in English

• @Getchman:

yup, lots of overacting in Japanese as well. more-so I believe than what's present in English

I'd say that the English is cheesier as it has Bryce Papenbrook as the lead character and he is one of the most melodramatic, over-the-top (histrionic) actors in anime dubbing.

That said, the sub is really cheesy as well. :(

• @Neco:

I have tried to get into this show, and on some level I find it watchable. But the dub is just… horrible, and doesn't give me much hope for the sub either. I'm almost afraid to watch the sub, because it seems every other line of dialogue in this show involves meladromatic over-the-top yelling and screaming like a retard at all times.

If its one thing I hate worse than listening to whiny, grating, "omg yell every line" voices, its hearing it in Japanese.. So yeah, pretty much afraid to even try the sub stream.

Well to be fair, if you lived in a world where you were constantly running for your life from giant, naked, man-eating zombies, you'd probably be yelling and screaming at the top of your lungs too. :hmm:

• @sidereal_presence:

I'd say that the English is cheesier as it has Bryce Papenbrook as the lead character and he is one of the most melodramatic, over-the-top (histrionic) actors in anime dubbing.

That said, the sub is really cheesy as well. :(

I can tolerate Papenbrook far more than I can Yuki Kaji

• @SpacemanHardy:

Well to be fair, if you lived in a world where you were constantly running for your life from giant, naked, man-eating zombies, you'd probably be yelling and screaming at the top of your lungs too.

It isn't the yelling and screaming that is the problem but rather how over-the-top said yelling, screaming and, really, every line of dialogue in the whole show is (in both language tracks).

• Ashly Burch did a good job playing Sasha Braus.

• This post is deleted!

• I think my biggest turnoff in the English dub is Eren's Titan scream. It's sounds bad compared to the subs version, just plain and simple.. It's supposed to sound like a rawr, not a shriek.