Censored dubs?

• I was watching The Sacred Blacksmith dub on Hulu and noticed that it is censored. I read that the dvd release in uncensored so why would the streaming version have censorship added? I haven't noticed this with any other shows, is this the only one?

• it's uncensored here on the site, so does Hulu frown upon nudity?

• Hulu doesn't seem to mind at all, I've seen much worse on their site.

• It's used as a method to sell physical releases, often times the broadcast (and streaming) version will also be fixed up and corrected in the physical release as well.

• I thought the dubs were always the same as the dvd release, are their other shows where they did this because I haven't seen any. Since this show was added recently I was hoping it doesn't mean that they are starting to censor their free streams.

• @colbot:

Hulu doesn't seem to mind at all, I've seen much worse on their site.

Hulu does censor nudity. If it's a Hulu original, then they might not though I don't watch any of their shows so I'm not too sure on that. But every show I've watched on Hulu that has any nudity has been censored. Don't know why it would matter so long as it doesn't block out most of the screen like the High School DxD simulcast.

• The most likely explanation is that since The Sacred Blacksmith dub is simply on Hulu and not Hulu Plus, it's required to be censored, since anyone without an account can watch it. If the dub was only available for paid subscribers, it would probably be uncensored

• I see the same thing happening with a lot of shows on crunchyroll, its probably because they are considered "Family Apps" even though you are supposed to be over 17 to use them…

• Simulcasts on Crunchy are the same as the Japanese broadcast versions, they get fixed up and released uncensored along with extra episodes and content.
    Anime gets funded from the sale of physical media, revenue from free streaming releases is nice but hardly pays the bills, that's why companies will always entice fans to purchase the show with extras like uncensored versions.

It has nothing to do with being family friendly, there are a couple stipulations for Japanese cable (where the censorship was put on) but in the US it's just a selling point.

• @St0ck:

Simulcasts on Crunchy are the same as the Japanese broadcast versions, they get fixed up and released uncensored along with extra episodes and content.
    Anime gets funded from the sale of physical media, revenue from free streaming releases is nice but hardly pays the bills, that's why companies will always entice fans to purchase the show with extras like uncensored versions.

It has nothing to do with being family friendly, there are a couple stipulations for Japanese cable (where the censorship was put on) but in the US it's just a selling point.

I can understand why they would do that, although it certainly isn't enough to get me to buy the dvds no matter how much I hate censorship. My main reason for asking was why it seems to be the only dub that they have censored for streaming, which got me concerned that it's some new policy Funimation is starting.

• @colbot:

I was watching The Sacred Blacksmith dub on Hulu and noticed that it is censored. I read that the dvd release in uncensored so why would the streaming version have censorship added? I haven't noticed this with any other shows, is this the only one?

Out of curiosity, do you have an episode number and approximate time where you've seen this censorship in the dub on Hulu?

Was The Sacred Blacksmith even a simulcast on Funimation? (It was fall 2009, so I have my doubts, and couldn't find anything except where they licensed it for home video in early 2010). If not, I wouldn't expect even the subtitled version to be censored, as Funimation should have had access only to the home video version.

• @colbot:

I can understand why they would do that, although it certainly isn't enough to get me to buy the dvds no matter how much I hate censorship. My main reason for asking was why it seems to be the only dub that they have censored for streaming, which got me concerned that it's some new policy Funimation is starting.

If you don't mind me asking, what other dubs from FUNimation have you watched through Hulu? Did those shows feature any uncensored nudity?

• Coming from someone who has Hulu Plus, I can say that everything is censored. It must have changed, because I can still remember watching the same material about a year or so ago uncensored.

• @SpacemanHardy:

If you don't mind me asking, what other dubs from FUNimation have you watched through Hulu? Did those shows feature any uncensored nudity?

The Funimation shows that I have seen show nudity on Hulu are Maken Ki, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, Future Diary, Haganai, Sekirei, Black Lagoon, Basilisk and Girls Bravo.

@TheAncientOne:

Out of curiosity, do you have an episode number and approximate time where you've seen this censorship in the dub on Hulu?

Was The Sacred Blacksmith even a simulcast on Funimation? (It was fall 2009, so I have my doubts, and couldn't find anything except where they licensed it for home video in early 2010). If not, I wouldn't expect even the subtitled version to be censored, as Funimation should have had access only to the home video version.

On example is episode 7 has a bath scene with a bunch of censorship around 9 minutes into the episode.

• @colbot:

On example is episode 7 has a bath scene with a bunch of censorship around 9 minutes into the episode.

I compared that scene on Hulu vs. via my Funimation Elite membership on the Roku. Yep, definitely censored on Hulu, as the light beam across the chest when the one girl leaps out of the water makes quite obvious.

I can only assume Funimation has started doing this to make the Elite membership more attractive, while still being able to occasionally post dubs for free viewing. At the very least, this means Funimation is having to go back and pull the video for the simulcast and sync it to the dub track. Since often corrections are made to home video releases, if any of those changed the timing instead of just involving tweaked animation, that would be a problem.

It would also be interesting to see if censoring was ever applied to a free-view version of a show Funimation definitely didn't acquire as a simulcast. (Dub or sub shouldn't matter in that instance, as Funimation should have had only the home video version).

• @TheAncientOne:

I compared that scene on Hulu vs. via my Funimation Elite membership on the Roku. Yep, definitely censored on Hulu, as the light beam across the chest when the one girl leaps out of the water makes quite obvious.

I can only assume Funimation has started doing this to make the Elite membership more attractive, while still being able to occasionally post dubs for free viewing. At the very least, this means Funimation is having to go back and pull the video for the simulcast and sync it to the dub track. Since often corrections are made to home video releases, if any of those changed the timing instead of just involving tweaked animation, that would be a problem.

It would also be interesting to see if censoring was ever applied to a free-view version of a show Funimation definitely didn't acquire as a simulcast. (Dub or sub shouldn't matter in that instance, as Funimation should have had only the home video version).

I was thinking it seemed strange that they are taking the time to add the dub to the simulcast version but I don't know how The Funimation Channel works so they might need censored versions of their shows to air on tv.

I would like to subscribe especially with the great sale they are currently having but I can't since they don't take paypal. On the bright side it does save me a bit of money.

• @colbot:

I don't know how The Funimation Channel works so they might need censored versions of their shows to air on tv.

Shows, movies and OVAs that air on the FUNimation Channel are uncnsored.

• Perhaps Funimation should change its motto from "You should be watching" to "If you want T&A, you gotta pay!".

• or "you should be watching, just not for free".

• Speaking of censored dubs, I used to watched DBZ Kai on Toonzai where it's censored alot. Halos turned into light ball on heads. Profanity, Blood, and Violence completely removed.

What is the reason for this?

• I can see it now…

1. Someone explains to you why Cartoon Network/Funimation/the Japanese licensing board felt the need to censor the show.

2. You argue that it isn't needed

3. Someone explains that it was purely what the companies felt was needed and agrees that they thought it was stupid to censor some things.

4. You say well I still feel those edits were stupid and unneeded.

Glad we got that out of the way.