Overused voice actors?

• Not trying to start a flame war here but are there any voice actors you believe are being overused by American anime companies especially Funimation. Hearing the same voice for tons of characters can be a little monotonous in my opinion. Just wondering if there's anyone you're sick of AND if there's any voice actor you don't mind being in every anime?

• Only so many voices in the industry. But I do agree that Funi obviously has their favorites.

• It's kind of stopped bothering me. The Japanese do the exact same thing. As long as the actors fit the part and put in effort then I don't care that much.

• My favorite Funi VA is Brittney Karbowski so I don't mind how many animes she appears in.

• Voice Actors are a finite resource to begin with, and Funimation is logistically limited to mostly the VAs from Texas. I think most VAs have enough range to prevent too much monotony, though I might just not watch enough dubs to really notice.

• I'm perfectly fine with it. Japan does the exact same thing. I like the surprise of hearing my favorite voice actors in new dub releases. Makes me WANT to watch the series even though the story/concept isn't to my liking. What brought me to watch Aquarion EVOL was the how amazing the artwork is. It's definitely the most beautifully created anime I've ever seen. What kept me watching was the story and the voice actors. I couldn't get enough of Brina Palencia voice as Mikono. In addition, that anime has just about ALL my favorite FUNI voice actors presented.

My favorite actors are:

1. Brittney Karbowski
    2. Brina Palencia
    3. Tia Ballard
    4. Colleen Clinkenbeard
    5. Caitlin Glass
    6. Monica Rial
    7. Eric Vale
    8. J. Michael Tatum
    9. Todd Haberkorn
    10. Scott Freeman

Now if I can't only get FUNI to contract Ali Hillis (Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning) for in an anime title or two, this would complete my life.

Here is a Q&A Panel featuring 4 of my FUNI favs. This was the most entertaining Q&A panel I've ever watched. I wish FUNI would do these regularly.

http://youtu.be/80VhAUR5pls

• I think Funimation ADR Directors & Producers are aware of this on some level but in recent years it seems they're trying to balance the scale by casting a lot of newcomers in large roles asap.

If the new voice talent is great that's super, but not all of them are necessarily outstanding… Have to wonder if it bothers any veterans who had to claw their way to the top and who spent the early years of their career as minor characters or doing walla before finally getting a big role. These newcomers have it easy in comparison getting big opportunities to prove themselves right away.

Voice Actors I'd like to hear less of (if you disagree that's cool but I'm stating my reason why)

Monica Rial: Reliable actress but a bit worn out IMO. I honestly don't think there's any new to hear from her. 5-10 years ago she was one of the few actresses who could voice young girls convincingly but eventually Funimation cast some new talent who could do the same, making Rial less essential in recent years. She also works at Seraphim Digital so it's not like she doesn't have other options.

Brittney Karbowski: An odd case. I actually think she's a decent actress but her actual voice isn't a good fit for anime. It's raspy and often annoying. When the character is supposed to be likeable it does the complete opposite for me and make me dislike the character when that's not the intention.

J. Michael Tatum: Solid voice talent but I never bought into the hype surrounding him. It's pretty much been a cake walk for him for years now. Anyone with similar vocal range either moved to California or lives in Houston and is rarely called up. Bring in more competition and I'd bet you wouldn't be hearing him as often.

Alexis Tipton: She's been very open about the fact that she still takes acting lessons and I respect that. After graduating from acting school many actors think they're set and have nothing left to learn and don't try to continuously improve and challenge themselves. But for the time being I'm a bit sick of always hearing her voice the same type of character (usually ditzy or sweet) and when these character types are often your female leads in anime these days, Alexis Tipton becomes overused very quickly.

Todd Haberkorn: I don't think I'm out of line saying he's one of the most overrated voice actors in recent memory. Seems like a nice guy but we're talking about acting here. Even when he attempts range and to disguise his voice you can tell it's him... Even when some fans tore apart his performances in past dubs, ADR Directors continued to give him more big roles; as if they were either too stubborn to admit they were sometimes wrong or are just very generous & forgiving to continue giving the man more chances. Thankfully he's not in as many Funimation dubs since he moved to California (to primarily work there) Majority of Funimation dubs have since improved significantly and been better without his involvement.

Voice Actors I don't mind hearing often:

Jamie Marchi: I've never been disappointed with any of her work and she's even got a few awards to back up her credentials & well earned resume. Ecchi seems to be her strength though I'd like to hear her in more mainstream potential titles that are all-ages; she's proven herself to be fully capable of delivering excellent performances in the past for other genres before the fanservice boom in recent years. Seems she always get snubbed or is only a minor character when the cast is announced for a dub Funimation makes no attempt to hide they're trying to hype up. I like ecchi but I know not everybody does (or will admit they watch it). So it sucks when one of the best voice actresses in the industry is still fairly unknown to a significant portion of anime dub viewers who will only watch what's popular or genres (e.g. Shonen, Slice of Life, Sci-Fi) that get a stamp of approval from critics.

Fun Fact: I've noticed her imdb profile is often quickly updated with new work when announced. While I doubt most people care since wikipedia and ANN are more anime fan friendly & detailed, imdb is still the most visited database concerning overall acting projects. If her peers and "more popular" Funimation voice actors have incomplete profiles. you have to ask yourself who do voice-over fans (who may not even be anime fans) actually care about in the industry and have an interest in hearing more of?

Lydia Mackay: Similar to how Jamieson Price is the English equivalent of Jouji Nakata I'd consider Lydia Mackay to be the English equivalent of Kikuko Inoue. Like Jamie Marchi I've never been disappointed with any of her work.

Lindsay Seidel: Probably the most underrated voice actress in Funimation's entire talent pool. Can voice young women, young girls and young boys whether they're psychos, flirty, moe or monotone. Girl should be invited to more conventions.

• It still makes me laugh that Yamada and Wendy share the same voice

• @Brett_Robinson2013:

I'd consider Lydia Mackay to be the English equivalent of Kikuko Inoue.

That's an odd way of spelling "Bridget Hoffman". ~_^

• @Firefly:

…The Japanese do the exact same thing...

@josefhiggins:

…Japan does the exact same thing...

Please do tell, which Japanese actors/actress are over used? I'm hoping that you'll post from personal experience and not just look up Japanese voice actors with a lot of roles. I understand your need to validate the quality of your preferred method of watching anime by dragging down the other side, but I do hope you have substantial evidence of this.

• @St0ck:

Please do tell, which Japanese actors/actress are over used? I'm hoping that you'll post from personal experience and not just look up Japanese voice actors with a lot of roles. I understand your need to validate the quality of your preferred method of watching anime by dragging down the other side, but I do hope you have substantial evidence of this.

I actually prefer subbed anime, thanks. And if you think I was bashing anything then you're wrong.

Recently, I'd say Yuki Kaji is pretty overused.. I also got a little sick of Kana Hanazawa. Yes, there are more actors on the Japanese side so they don't reuse to the same extent that the English side does, but it's not like you don't start seeing the same names pop up.

• yup. too much Kana Hanazawa recently

• !

My apologies.

• Fun fact: Kana Hanazawa has four main roles and six supporting roles during Spring 2014

Deep down, we are all voiced by Kana Hanazawa

Rie Kugimiya is no slouch herself, though she falls behind this season with only three main roles and four supporting roles during Spring 2014

• @Riles:

Fun fact: Kana Hanazawa has four main roles and six supporting roles during Spring 2014

I think it would take a lot more exposure for me to get sick of hearing KanaHana.

@Firefly:

Recently, I'd say Yuki Kaji is pretty overused.

I don't think I can watch anything with him or Mamoru Miyano in leading roles for the next couple seasons.

• I fear that too much "we need new voices" stuff will lead to funi calling up actors from the "minors" before they're ready and I fear that this has already started to happen so I'm a tad loath to throw down the "overused" flag on an actor.
    @Brett_Robinson2013:

Monica Rial: Reliable actress but a bit worn out IMO. I honestly don't think there's any new to hear from her.

Maria Holic was rather new. Definitely a radical departure from her normal roles.

Anyone with similar vocal range [to Tatum] either moved to California or lives in Houston and is rarely called up

True, Tatum did fill the vacuum left by the departure of Troy Baker and Jason Douglas (who seems to have returned). Tatum is a talented VA IMO and is unparalleled when it comes to voicing effete and urbane individuals, especially if they are English as he is a raging Anglophile (which has become his typecast lol). While he is a great actor, especially when out of his typecast, I do believe that he might just be a greater scriptwriter.

Majority of Funimation dubs have since improved significantly and been better without [Haberkorn's] involvement.

Are you sure? While he is still pretty obvious, Todd Haberkorn does a better job of disguising his voice more than some other prolific actors (eg:Chris Sabat, Karbowski) but I've long considered him to be elevating his later Funi dubs. He rocked Chaos;head and Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero (where he was boosted by excellent scriptwriting, presumably by Tatum), for example.

Lindsay Seidel: Probably the most underrated voice actress in Funimation's entire talent pool. Can voice young women, young girls and young boys whether they're psychos, flirty, moe or monotone. Girl should be invited to more conventions.

+1. Definitely an underused, underrated "utility actress". She affected an eldritch "Cherami Leigh + Hilary Haag" accent in Robotics;Notes that I was impressed by. I almost didn't recognize her.

IMO a legitimately overused voice actor is the lead in several recent shows, most recently the Titan dub, Bryce Papenbrook. He's been in so much and he sounds exactly the same in all of it. I don't believe that actors should pull a "Gary Oldman" and invent radically new voices and vocal mannerisms for each character they play but making each character sound at least slightly different seems reasonable.

• Overutilized:
    Cheramie Leigh. Loved her as Shana in the last two seasons of Shakugan as well as Steins;gate but she became Funi's go to girl quickly and she was in EVERYTHING for the last few years.

Brina Palencia. She has a lot of range and loved her in Spice and Wolf, One Piece, and Black Butler. But it's when she alters her natural voice that I think she's at her best. Lately you've only been hearing her natural tone too often.

Josh Grelle. Great in Linebarrells, Kenichi, and Princess Jellyfish. And I believe Future Diary if I'm not mistaken but he is getting all of the major male roles lately or frequent supporting characters and it's just the same.

Favorite VAs

Monica Rial. Yes she is used A LOT but she is the best at little girls. Adorable voice. No one else could be Index. And she was great in Moonphase and Maken ki. But Michiko and Hatchin is where she surprised me with her range. I didn't know it was her until the credits.

J Michael Tatum. IMO his roles in Black Butler, Spice and Wolf , and Steins;gate justify the hype. He is a brilliant VA. But yes I do agree that the exits of the men in his same range have made his voice a little too frequent. But I enjoy it nonetheless.

Jamie Marchi. Outstanding and underutilized.

Anastasia Munoz. Only really remember her from Jormungand but very good.

Micah Solusod. Loved him in Index. Loved him in Soul Eater. Yes he sounds a lot like Johnny Bosch until you pick up on his little nuances. He showed his range in Guilty Crown. I couldn't believe it was him.

Clarine Harp. Don't hear her much anymore. I think she's more behind the scenes now but she had a great unique voice.

Greg Ayres. No one can capture a perv quite like he can.

Ian Sinclair. Underutilized.

Maryke Hendrikse. Revy from Black Lagoon. Heard she plays Barbie and one of Johnny Test's sisters now but Revy makes me a fan.

Tia Ballard. Another adorable voice that I don't hear enough of.

Aaron Dismuke. Was amazing as a child playing Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist but grew up to have a very unique voice too.

Morgan Garrett. She has a sultry voice in anything she plays. Is this a Zombie comes to mind.

Kari Wahlgren. I miss her. Never hear her anymore. Loved her in Blood+.

Carrie Savage. Great as Hakifu in Ikki Tousen and Chaos in Heaven's Lost Property and everything in between. Can be sweet or psychotic. :)

• @Riles:

Fun fact: Kana Hanazawa has four main roles and six supporting roles during Spring 2014

Deep down, we are all voiced by Kana Hanazawa

Rie Kugimiya is no slouch herself, though she falls behind this season with only three main roles and four supporting roles during Spring 2014

Lest we forget, Romi Paku is in damn near everything.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I must be looking in the wrong place, 'cause I can't find a thing she's in this season: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=5108.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Well, everything except Spring 2014, anyway

http://myanimelist.net/people/82/Romi_Paku

• Cheramie Leigh is she really over used? Maybe, But I don't think so. She is really good at every role I have seen her in so I cannot complain she really fits well and does a great job in every anime I have seen her in. I have never felt she did not do a good job voicing a role this could be why she is used so much. Probably one of my favorite voice actors.

Josh Grelle another that is used a lot, but another great voice I don't mind hearing. He does a really good job. I have felt that he was a little flat on occasion but that is just IMO and nothing personal to him still I never mind hearing him in any show.

Bryce Papenbrook been getting a lot of roles lately and I am not completely sure why, every over-dramatic speech he gives comes off the same no matter what role, he gives me a William Shattner (Captain Kirk) Drama feel, Dramatic pauses and such you can almost close your eyes and picture the same lines coming out of Star Trek's Kirk. Now other than his dramatic statements when he is not in that role he really comes off well but just when he has to use that whole "I must win" voice and statements sound horrible to me. IMO.