Good Spoilers?

• I'm sure we've all encountered spoilers at some point or another, sometimes for things we really didn't want spoiled, other times where it doesn't matter much because we don't have interest in the title being spoiled or will likely forget all about the spoiler by the time we get around to it.

But has there ever been a time where a spoiler got you to read or watch something? Or maybe a spoiler convinced you that the title in question was a waste of time to stick with? Have you ever been grateful that something was spoiled? anything is fair game, not just anime, but do be careful to spoiler tag things if you go into specifics with your examples

In general, I don't like spoilers. I like not knowing what will happen, but I've also run into a few spoilers that actually got me to watch or read something. One example would be how I got into the Fate series. When I first got more into anime and started browsing forums a few years ago I saw Fate/stay night mentioned all the time. I read the synopsis and wasn't particularly interested, but people kept bringing it up, and some of the things they said about Saber caught my eye. Then I read some comparisons of the anime to the VN (intentionally looking at spoilers to learn more) and I was finally interested in checking the series out. So I added it to my ever-growing list of things to watch, where it sat for a long time (until just earlier this year!), but when Fate/Zero started airing I was reminded that I should really check out the franchise, and because Zero sounded like it was understandable without watching F/SN I decided to just start there. If I hadn't read all those spoilers I probably wouldn't have given the series a chance. It would have remained in my mind as just "that show with the kid that says 'people die when they are killed.'"

• I'm usually on high alert for spoilers, as I don't really see any of them as being "good" per say. What I mean is; I have not really encountered one that made me want to check out a series more after hearing about said spoiler, if anything it usually puts the title at the very bottom of the list, in the hopes that I will forget what I heard about it.

On the opposite side of that coin, I usually find that when a group of fans hate or relentlessly bash an anime, that I'm more often inclined to see it. I'm of the opinion that general popularity is a thin line of Twitter text and not usually a very viable foundation; so I am pulled to the show to see it and formulate an opinion for myself.

• I definitely watched BBC Sherlock and Hannibal purely because they kept showing up on my various social networks.

I think the only direct spoiler that got me to watch something I wouldn't have watched otherwise was when Disney released the "Let It Go" segment of Frozen. I'd kind of written that movie off as a horrible Snow Queen adaptation that I wasn't going to enjoy, particularly because I hadn't been impressed with the music in a lot of Disney stuff in awhile… and then I think I watched that video about ten times back to back with my mouth hanging open and HAD to go see it.

Then again, I'm kind of giant Idina Menzel fan, so. :)

• My general outlook on spoilers is that they don't actually matter unless it re-contextualizes the parts of the story that come before it, i.e. "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time", or "the Good Guy was secretly evil", or "He dumps Best Girl for his sister". The reason people care about spoilers is because they want to be surprised. But the surprise still exists whether you learn about it from the story itself, or from an untagged forum post, only the situation is different.

So based on my general attitude, you might imagine that I read a lot of spoilers. And there are plenty of shows I probably wouldn't have given the time of day without being spoiled for them. Spoilers about Shana's 3rd season got me to watch S1, though I never actually finished S2. I've found myself checking back with Bleach and Naruto mangas from time to time based on various spoilers. The entire central conceit of Haruhi is technically a spoiler, but everybody ignores that because it's also the only interesting thing about the show.

• Weather a spoiler is good or bad depends on the type of person you are, and what the spoilers are for. I don't mind spoilers in moderation, but too many can be annoying.

• @Renzokuken:

My general outlook on spoilers is that they don't actually matter unless it re-contextualizes the parts of the story that come before it, i.e. "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time", or "the Good Guy was secretly evil", or "He dumps Best Girl for his sister". The reason people care about spoilers is because they want to be surprised. But the surprise still exists whether you learn about it from the story itself, or from an untagged forum post, only the situation is different.

That's true, and it's also different to know something happens compared to knowing why/how it happens and what the consequences are. Personally I prefer being surprised while watching something, but sometimes being surprised by an online comment, friend, etc isn't so bad and helps rekindle lost interest.

@Davidism:

On the opposite side of that coin, I usually find that when a group of fans hate or relentlessly bash an anime, that I'm more often inclined to see it. I'm of the opinion that general popularity is a thin line of Twitter text and not usually a very viable foundation; so I am pulled to the show to see it and formulate an opinion for myself.

I've done the same. Lots of hate towards a particular series makes me interested in finding out what's causing the negativity and to see if it's as bad as they say or if it's actually not that bad at all.

• @Renzokuken:

My general outlook on spoilers is that they don't actually matter unless it re-contextualizes the parts of the story that come before it, i.e. "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time"

I agree more with this here when it comes to spoilers, it’s sort of similar to if someone reveals the happenings on episode ten of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, or a certain character’s motives verses so and so becomes a magical girl. Or on Psycho-Pass there’s a Sherlock Holmes sort of element to the story, however, the big reveal is something to behold. Or even better, the true identity of the Colossal Titan on Attack on Titan.

So I agree with “good” spoilers and “bad” spoilers, for example, I could say on The Prestige that

! Hugh Jackman’s character breaks his legand it doesn’t really make an overall difference in the viewing experience.

Then there are bad spoilers for The Prestige like, and don’t read unless you really want the movie spoiled, because a lot of the allegory, and foreshadowing built up to this

! Christian Bale’s character(s) is actually twin brothers; the bird trick is a metaphor and foreshadowing for it, not to mention so many hints and clues for it. There’s also how Bale’s character talks about truly making sacrifices and artistic devotion, which is what he does. It’s actually a reverse of what he does on Batman, one man leading the double life, on The Prestige, its two men living one man’s life. “So, we go alone now. Both of us. Only I don't have as far to go as you. Go. You were right, I should have left him to his damn trick. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for a lot of things. I'm sorry about Sarah. I didn't mean to hurt her, I didn't. You go and live your life in full now, all right? You live for both of us.”

Watching the movie with this knowledge completely changes the context of the characters’ actions, especially Bale’s. Then again, this spoiler may encourage people to check The Prestige out.

• On the flip side, you aren't likely to get someone to watch Madoka Magica without spoiling the twist to some degree