WATAMOTE Disscussion Thread.

• Come here to chat about the WATAMOTE or full name No Matter How I Look At It, It's Your Fault I'm Not Popular!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ud8j9SMvU

I just started watching this recently what can I say i'm lazy with streams I have to say its a pretty interesting show. I can relate to the main gal, as I had extremly crippling social anxiety back in Middle School, I got better in High School, but, now even as a college student , I still don't like being around a lot of people, it can be nerve wrecking at times, and social anxiety is no laughing matter.

Anywho, this is a pretty interesting show so far. Heart breaking, funny, and mesmarizing look at a person with this type of psychosis. I look forward to finishing it, and picking up the manga when Yen releases it!

• This is a show I definitely want to check out. The art alone makes me think of Lucky Star - a slightly twisted Lucky Star, but Lucky Star none-the-less.

• In case anyone missed it, Zac Bertschy, Hope Chapman/JesuOtaku, Gerald Rathkolb of AWO, and Paul Chapman of Greatest Movie Ever did a full episode of ANNcast this week dedicated to Watamote.

• This show, to me, started out really funny and easy to relate to as it went through a couple of awkward social simulations. But as it went on it went from socially awkwardly situations to unrealistically awkward situations, and even crude nonsense, and there was nothing to relate to anymore. Huge letdown for something that started out so promising through the first two or three episodes

However this is as black as black comedy might get in anime, so if that's your thing, you should definitely go for it

• If my new avatar wasn't indication enough, I've just watched the first episode of WATAMOTE. It's…definitely interesting. Probably not for everyone too, but I at least think it did a great job building a story consisting almost entirely of watching a demented social misfit run around in circles inside her head.

Mental case she may be, but I really like Tomoko--she's hilarious, but really sympathetic. I think there's a bit of her in all of us, to be honest--the part of our soul that hates and fears everything it doesn't understand, including itself.

I'm eager to see if the show can keep this up. I enjoyed it.

• I finished the show earlier today, all I can say. I really hope theres a second season! Because the ending to this was sad and abit cliff hangery, I mean it feels like she came so close to making a real friend, I wanna see a season 2 so I can see if her & that gal whoms name I can't remember hit it off eventually. and no I don't consider that bimbo she knows from middle school a real friend, but i'm an arse like that

But yeah, not trying to be too spoilery here for those like me who are just watching it. But all I can say, if theres sadly not a second season. I am really glad that Yen Press picked up the manga, because I'm really rooting for this lil gal, sure she's anti-social, shes kind of demented, she's a broken person, but thats the whole point of the series right, the daily life of someone with severe Social Anxiety Disorder.

But yeah I hear this show didn't do so well in Japan, hope thats not true because this needs a season 2! Man really can't wait to get my hands on the manga now, October 29th can't come soon enough!!!

@Renzo: That podcast is actually what finally convinced me to watch it.

• Favorite anime of the summer, I liked it better than Attack on Titan everyone should at least check it out

http://www.crunchyroll.com/watamote-no-matter-how-i-look-at-it-its-you-guys-fault-im-not-popular

• It started out pretty funny. Then slowly to me I jsut started thinking this girl is pathetic. It had its moments of funny still but the girls reactions to certain situations I just felt were too …........unrealistic I guess. I couldn't picture anyone ever reacting the way she does. I wound up not watching it till the rest of the series was up for viewing. and Finished in 1 go. And overall can say that it wasn't too bad in the grand scheme.

• @Dragon-O In all honesty though "Anime" & "Realistic" very seldom work in the same sentence together. And I would disagree abit. A "Normal" person might not act the way Tomoko does. But again, she's NOT a normal person, the whole point of the series is that this is the life of a broken person, which that may sound kind of dark, but stories arn't always happy. And yes I will give you even with that, there is some exaggeration, but again it is an anime, and this is probably the closest thing we will ever get to a realistic portrayel of someone with a condition like hers.

Again though I understand, it really is one of those shows that either clicks with you or doesnt.

Anywho I think my favorite episode is the one where she's at the cultural festival. The part where Imae put on the costume, found Tomoko and gave her the red baloon & a hug. I teared up. Cause, you know, it may not solve all of Tomoko's problems, but sometimes all a person like that needs is a little love & acknowledgement.

But yeah if you try to look at it only as a "Black comedy" its pretty rank. But looking at it as a SOL piece/ animated study of someone with a psychosis like Social Anxiety Disorder, its a heart-tugging masterpiece.

• I had a real hard time deciding how much I liked this. One thing I can say is that I think it did a good job of portraying numerous different emotions effectively. Many times it was funny, it could be touching such as the committee chairman in the costume hugging Tomoko, and sad such as when she sat by herself at the door to the roof for lunch. My conflict came about with Tomoko herself. I would oftentimes feel bad for her and root for her, only later to totally loose that feeling because of some of her actions. Many times I would find myself thinking, no wonder she doesn't have friends. It might just have to do with her severe social anxiety and other issues, but time and again I saw where when she had the opportunity to improve things, she chose rather to try to use people and situations to make herself look better to others. Cheating at a card game against little kids, really??? Instead of being truthful about the guy talking to her and giving her the umbrella, which in effect was making a friend anyway, (although I don't think she realized he did at the time) she has to make up convoluted lies about it to make herself look better. Then there was the culture festival with Yuu. She didn't want to have fun with Yuu, but just use Yuu by having her with her to make herself look better. It took basically being beat over the head with fun with her true friend to make her realize that she was actually having fun. So I guess overall I can't fault the show for the actions of the main character because that was the whole point of the show. Technically, art, and creativity-wise I really enjoyed this, I just continually got frustrated with Tomoko. It is possible that all of her actions I had issues with can be chalked up to her mental problems, but man I just found her a bit of a mean person. Not just to Yuu and the way she thought about others (coping mechanism for her shyness maybe?) but also how she treated her brother, and especially how disrespectful she was to her mother.

• @batou

I think you hit the nail on the head for my problems with Tomoko. Yes, I sympathize with her since she does have pretty bad social anxiety and can't help that. But then she goes and makes things worse with her actions. I started feeling about half way through the show that Tomoko is actually a pretty terrible person underneath all the awkwardness.

I liked the show okay. It started out rough, but then fell into a pace that was still filled with second-hand embarrassment but at least enjoyable to watch in a way. And I'll admit that the culture festival episode gave me warm fuzzies at the very end. I really hope Tomoko doesn't screw that up in the future, because that's a perfect opportunity for her to grab hold of and make a good friend.

• @Soundmonkey44:

But yeah if you try to look at it only as a "Black comedy" its pretty rank. But looking at it as a SOL piece/ animated study of someone with a psychosis like Social Anxiety Disorder, its a heart-tugging masterpiece.

I think you have it completely backwards. It's a good black comedy, but it's pretty terrible as a study for anxiety and awkwardness. There's a pretty big difference between just being naturally unnatural, and just being an outright scumbag

Unless of course you can totally relate to parts like working at a cake factory, or spending your evening with middle schoolers watching people have sex in a love hotel, or the fact that there's no payoff and she simply is and always will be

• @ Firefly
    I think you might be one of the first people I have seen who have agreed with me on that. I always tried to give her the benefit of the doubt because of her issues, but I came away thinking she was extremely self centered and callous most of the time.

• @Riles: And see thats the great part of fictional media, its about how you interperate & percive what you watch. As its an anime there are of course going to be some silly, ridciulious over the top things. And as Japanese culture is somewhat different then US/EU culture there will also be some things that would not seem like something logical to us. I'm not saying the Black comedy parts are bad, they are good. But i'm also saying this is indeed an interesting if not exaggerated look at someone who is essentially a broken person, kind of like NHK, but cuter, more extreme in areas, and with a Female lead.

@others And I agree there are times its hard to root for Tomoko. But I think thats intentional. She's self defeating/damming. She is demented, she is both justly & unjustly angry at those around her, she's kinda pervy, maybe even a bit more so then a normal teen, but I don't think she's a bad person, just a confused one.

Also @Riles As for there being no pay off. Thats also part of the point of the show imo. It even says here is the story of a girl that doesn't really matter or something along those lines

Edit; @FireFly: I agree, if she messes up her chance to become friends with Imae, even i'll probably give up on our sometimes lovable little loon. I mean thats pretty much the most clear cut chance for her to make a friend that could actually help her out.

Again yes the show exaggerates certain things, and yes the lead character can be abit over bearing, abit creepy and pretty dang stupid at times, but for me, thats part of what makes the show so engaging. You can say its bad, but I say, while maybe one the extreme side, its a solid Black comedy/ slice of life/ look at the mental psychosis of a broken teenage girl. Its not pretty, its not happy, but its not supposed to be. That doesn't make it any less interesting or less quality a show in my eyes.

But again, it all comes down to what you percive what you watch read. Thats the great thing about opinions, no clear cut right or wrong.

• It's clearly past the point of 'exaggerated' as it goes into the realm of completely unrealistic. Again, I don't know how someone can view this as a show they can relate to, outside of the first two and last two episodes

I didn't say that no payoff wasn't the point of the show. I was asking how you can see that there's no payoff to the show and think, "I can relate to this"

I can understand if this really was some kind of deep-thinking show, but it's cheap, it's dirty, it's callous, and it's shallow. I can't find a deeper meaning or understanding for a show that's build around entry-level gags surrounding increasingly unrelateable awkward situations for a genuinely unlikable protagonist

• @Riles:

I think you have it completely backwards. It's a good black comedy, but it's pretty terrible as a study for anxiety and awkwardness. There's a pretty big difference between just being naturally unnatural, and just being an outright scumbag

I'd have to totally disagree. I don't think I've ever seen a more honest look into the mind of someone with crippling social anxiety. Source: I have crippling social anxiety. The projected misanthropy, the contemptuous narcissism, the need for escapism, and the desperate attempts to change who you are and find meaning in an empty life? Watamote could have been a documentary about my High School days if Tomoko was a guy.

In the end, I don't think Watamote is supposed to be taken as a comedy at all. I think it's more of a cautionary tale. A lot of introverts tend to convince themselves that it's the others who don't accept them, that they're the only sane man in an insane world, but in reality they're just stuck inside the prison of their own head. That mentality is nearly impossible to overcome from the inside out, and that's all Watamote is really about.

• @Riles: And thats your view/opinion/perception of the show, and that is completly fine.

Again yes the main character is kind of a jerk at times, shes narcissistic, amoung other bad things. But again, thats part of the point of the series.

Again, like i've said this is IMO a show you will either click with, or you won't sometimes its just as simple as that. Different strokes for different folks.

Its really nothing worth getting to huffy over, neither one of us is right or wrong, we just look at the narrative in a different light.

• @Renzokuken:

In the end, I don't think Watamote is supposed to be taken as a comedy at all. I think it's more of a cautionary tale. A lot of introverts tend to convince themselves that it's the others who don't accept them, that they're the only sane man in an insane world, but in reality they're just stuck inside the prison of their own head. That mentality is nearly impossible to overcome from the inside out, and that's all Watamote is really about.

That's an interesting way to look at it, I hadn't considered it that way

@Soundmonkey44:

@Riles: And thats your view/opinion/perception of the show, and that is completly fine.

Again yes the main character is kind of a jerk at times, shes narcissistic, amoung other bad things. But again, thats part of the point of the series.

Again, like i've said this is IMO a show you will either click with, or you won't sometimes its just as simple as that. Different strokes for different folks.

Its really nothing worth getting to huffy over, neither one of us is right or wrong, we just look at the narrative in a different light.

You should work on taking thread discussions at face value because I've noticed you seem to take a lot of posts the wrong way when you disagree with them, and you shy away from discussion way too quickly because you see anger in posts that doesn't exist

• @Riles: What can I say, never been that great at debate. And I do apologize, i'm just so used to seeing people get angry online, I easily mistake negative opinions/views for anger. it can be a bit hard to tell at times

Anywho. One critique I will give the series. I wish it had delved more into showing us how Tomoko had developed her condition. We see some flashbacks to when she was younger and how she & her brother were your typical cutesy happy kids. But it didn't really lead anywhere. It would be interesting to see the events in her life that changed her into the girl she is today.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Anywho. One critique I will give the series. I wish it had delved more into showing us how Tomoko had developed her condition. We see some flashbacks to when she was younger and how she & her brother were your typical cutesy happy kids. But it didn't really lead anywhere. It would be interesting to see the events in her life that changed her into the girl she is today.

Definetly. Even the little bit they touched on when she was in middle school with her friend doens't really tell much about how She turne dout that way. Unless maybe she just got more self conscious going into high school since her friend went to a diffrent school. The feeling I got off this was she really wasn't as self aware as she was when she had her friend.