Fate/Zero

• Since there have been many threads devoted to the more fan service style anime; some of which happen to be favorites of mine, I want to balance things out a little with a thread I’m surprised nobody has posted.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen; Boys and Girls of all ages (well not all ages, but, whatever) come one come all, step right up and embrace the glory that is: Fate/Zero.

So, despite my pretentious introduction, this here is a place for everyone to talk about this series.

I’ve only streamed the first two episodes; I like what I saw; the production looks so clean and intricate. I have preordered this series from Rightstuf, I very much look forward to watching it English Dubbed.

With that said, speak your mind about the topic.

• My credit card isn't going to be happy with me after I buy one of the most expensive series out there.

Jokes aside, this was the last anime that I watched as it was being aired in Japan (Kill la Kill is going to change that, however.) Every weekend I couldn't wait to hop on niconico and watch the latest episode. Even though I was fairly new to the Fate series, it became an instant favorite upon finishing it.

The best part is, Saber didn't even pull all the weight in this series, unlike what I saw in Fate/stay night. There were too many other good characters, particularly Rider and Waver. It was nice to see the heroes and villains fairly balanced out in terms of power, except for Gilgamesh. That dude is way overpowered, any explanation why?

• @7jaws7:

It was nice to see the heroes and villains fairly balanced out in terms of power, except for Gilgamesh. That dude is way overpowered, any explanation why?

He's essentially the origin of all other heroes ("Gilgamesh" is the oldest surviving written story that's been found), and has access to all their weapons through the Gate of Babylon.

• I can't wait for my sets to ship, they look really nice for what is technically a rerelease.

• @7jaws7:

The best part is, Saber didn't even pull all the weight in this series, unlike what I saw in Fate/stay night. There were too many other good characters, particularly Rider and Waver. It was nice to see the heroes and villains fairly balanced out in terms of power, except for Gilgamesh. That dude is way overpowered, any explanation why?

Entirely true, as much as I love Saber, Rider and Waver stole the show. Every episode that they were involved in was a good watch, the back and forth between the two was amusing and their relationship was a joy to watch unfold.

Due to the site not implementing spoiler tags yet, if ya haven't watched Fate/Zero, do not read on, possible spoilers follow, fair warning right here.

Honestly, what became of the two was heartbreaking, but done so well I couldn't fault it in the least. I mean, when Rider goes up against Gil towards the end, you know who's going to win and that just, to be blunt, sucks. Then Gil tells Waver to do that certain thing…(If I remember correctly... Haven't re-watched it since it aired so my memory is a little "eh") Man, that just hit home, even Gil is a little kind hearted to a degree.

Gah, I love this series. Can't wait for my dubbed sets to show up.

• I had only ever read spoilers about Fate/stay night (the anime and a little from the VN, and mostly about Saber and Shirou) before watching Fate/Zero so while I knew a little, I was still feeling kind of "overwhelmed" in the first episode. But by the third episode I was hooked.

My favorite Master/Servant pair was Rider and Waver. I loved how their characters played off each other, and how Waver slowly gained more confidence because of Rider's influence. And the series went and broke my heart at the end.

And those BD sets look so gorgeous. I knew they would be nice, but wow. I'm holding off for a little while in order to save up some extra cash, though. Probably won't order them until sometime early next year.

• The interesting thing about Waver is that, according to side material, he's the only Grail War survivor that ends up better off for having participated. He takes Kayneth's place at the Clocktower, becoming one of the most populat teachers, and eventually goes on to be Rin's mentor(in every route but Heaven's Feel).

• Fate/Zero was definitely added to my favorite anime of all time list.

I would recommend playing the Visual Novels (VN) before or after watching the entire series. I honestly didn't like the animated series of Fate/Stay Night when compared to the VN. Shirou always got on my nerves whenever he decided to do something completely stupid like jumping in front of a servants attack in order to protect his servant.

As far as F/Z is concerned, the English voice casting of the series was well done in my opinion.

The storyline in the anime was by far better than Fate/Stay Night. I like the fact that there was more intellectual dialogue coming from the characters in this series and seeing everyone suffering from some tragic events that took place in their everyday lives. In my opinion, Kirei, Gilgamesh, Saber, Kiritsugu, Irisviel, Lancer, and Rider were the most interesting characters within the series.

• So, despite my pretentious introduction,…

Actually, a pretentious intro is the perfect setting Fate/Zero :D

I enjoy the dub of this as it properly conveys that this whole show is supposed to be pretentious and tongue-in-cheek, that it is supposed to have that "hamminess" that you see in "Shakesperean" acting. If you take Fate/Zero straight, as a "serious" show, you'll be driven up the wall with frustration as you'll likely wonder, as I did, why the servants and masters presented with them didn't exploit their ample opportunities to off the competition and get the grail early on. Also, Gen Urobuchi's trademark of forcing each character to spew out a barrage of awkwardly-phrased and redundant lines in order to sound "intellectual" will get old fast unless you embrace that the show has a certain corniness. In the sub, I wasn't sure if the show was fully "aware" of its own corniness (which I chock up to weak Japanese acting) but the dub certainly is.

• Am I the only one who wasn't totally blown away by Fate/Zero?

I mean, I liked it all well and fine, but it's far from being one of my favorites. Kinda over-rated, if you ask me. I recently watched the entire show dubbed on Neon Alley, and in all honesty…. I liked Accel World better.

Personally, I found that most of the characters other than Rider and Waver were complete asshats. Even the so called "good" characters like Kirei I found highly unlikable. And the few characters I did like - other than Waver - either all got killed off or completely F'd over in the end.

Also, Gilgamesh sucks and I hate him. I don't know why he's got such a rabid fanbase. To me he's a complete utter cocky douchebag who really isn't even all that good of a fighter without his totally overpowered noble phantasms. David Vincent's rather tepid performance certainly didn't help, either. Along with the stilted, awkward dialogue that the show is guilty of anyway, he sounded like a bored college student doing a really bad William Shatner impersonation.

Still, Rider and Waver were awesome. They make the show worth watching just by themselves.

But yeah, other than them.... NOT the biggest fan of Fate/Zero, I have to say. Certainly not worth the pants-on-head ridiculous prices that AoA is asking for it, especially.

• @SpacemanHardy:

Personally, I found that most of the characters other than Rider and Waver were complete asshats. Even the so called "good" characters like Kirei I found highly unlikable. And the few characters I did like - other than Waver - either all got killed off or completely F'd over in the end.

That's kind of the point. Urobuchi's entire worldview basically revolves around the idea that nice guys not only finish last, there isn't even a finish line to begin with. To Urobuchi, idealism is a curse. An impossible burden that crushes the fools who try to carry it. Kirei only self actualizes when Gligamesh convinces him to embrace his own nihilism. Rider spends his entire life chasing a utopia beyond the horizon, where empathy and idealism is actually rewarded, and dies twice knowing that it can never actually be reached. I'm honestly surprised Waver made out as well as he did, though I suppose his goals were relatively selfish.

• Am I the only one who wasn't totally blown away by Fate/Zero?

No you are not. I was underwhelmed by it as well. An intellectual journey it was not though, as was made clear to me by the dub, it was never intended to be.

Biggest issue with the show IMO was that there were masters and servants who constantly gave up opportunities to advance on the grail. Second biggest was the female characters: they were either shown as being insane, soul-murdering b*tches or as being completely neglected, ignored in all ways, by the male characters (leading to the hilarious scene with the car). Fate/Zero reminded me of the lines from Samurai Champloo about the true nature of Bushido… Also, after learning that Saber was originally supposed to be a man I couldn't look at him/her the same way again.

BTW, I can see Rider being cool (even though his power was cheap) but Waver, his quasi-catamite? I don't see how anyone considers him cool. The only thing I can come up with is that Rider had so much cool-factor that it spilled over onto Waver but...

• @sidereal - I haven't watched this series yet, but I do have the sets on order and while you're entitled to your opinion, I'm prepared to be floored by this series; this is one of the few times I'm going to an anime with a preconceived expectation/bias. That bias is based on the fact that every type of fan, from Mech, to Ecchi to Magical girl on every forum I have been to have all said this is an amazing anime.

This is the first time I've encountered people who were not enthused about this series; however, this does not inhibit my anticipation to watch this. I even have some days off booked in early January so that I can really sit down and lose myself in this anime.

• It's really a great show. Type/Moon adaptations in general are so much better when done by UFO Table and not Studio Deen. The Yuki Kajiura music is definitely another point in it's favor.

I have the imported BDs but I'm also buying the DVDs when they come out for the new dub.

• @Kruszer:

It's really a great show. Type/Moon adaptations in general are so much better when done by UFO Table and not Studio Deen.

I think anything would be better if not animated by Deen.

• Ahh c'mon Deens not all bad, they've done good shows…back in the 80s & 90s.

• @Kruszer:

It's really a great show. Type/Moon adaptations in general are so much better when done by UFO Table and not Studio Deen. The Yuki Kajiura music is definitely another point in it's favor.

I have the imported BDs but I'm also buying the DVDs when they come out for the new dub.

And now they're animating a Fate/Stay Night remake.

• @Domayv:

And now they're animating a Fate/Stay Night remake.

Well, the format hasn't been specified, so they could be producing a new manga or something, though that's unlikely.

• Yeah, I'm really interested to see what that will be like and which path from the game it will follow.

Also, to be fair Deen does have some good stuff like Maison Ikkoku, Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Hell Girl, and their respective sequels.

• @Soundmonkey44:

Ahh c'mon Deens not all bad, they've done good shows…back in the 80s & 90s.

They did some okay stuff in the oughts, too. Simoun, Higurashi, Hell Girl… that's pretty much it, but at least it's something!

@Kruszer:

Yeah, I'm really interested to see what that will be like and which path from the game it will follow.

Most bets are on Heaven's Feel, since it hasn't been animated yet and is also the most thematically consistent follow-up to Fate/Zero.

• @Renzokuken:

They did some okay stuff in the oughts, too. Simoun, Higurashi, Hell Girl… that's pretty much it, but at least it's something!

I always forget Simoun was Deen, since it's actually a good show.