OniAi Dub

• With the successful sales of OniAi (and it be a sell out on the 1st stock) will you consider a bilingual rerelease?

• They've already stated that they don't plan on dubbing it at all.

• yep atm there are no plans for it to be dubbed. Be nice if there were since they apparently have no plans to put anything else to the sub line they talked about way back then.

• I have no doubt that more will be joining since their simulcast load increased after making the move to release some titles as sub only

• I can definitely see the new and out-there stuff, like NO-RIN and Ping Pong, getting sub-only formats

We've yet to see any back-catalog acquisitions besides Ben-To, but I imagine we'll hear about those sub-only new licenses once they get closer to their own release date

I'd like to say that I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. Dub everything you get your hands on. Sub-only releases are incredibly disheartening. Don't be Sentai

• Glad to hear a sub only release still sells well.

• @Riles:

I'd like to say that I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. Dub everything you get your hands on. Sub-only releases are incredibly disheartening. Don't be Sentai

Even if the alternative is no release?

• @TheAncientOne:

The alternative is streaming. In some fans' minds, there's no reason to buy a sub-only DVD when you can already watch the show with subs online, legally, for free. Dubs actually give them an incentive to buy the physical disc.

Granted, this isn't the way everyone thinks. Some people just like having their own copy of the show to have and to hold. But for others, if there's no dub, there's no purchase.

• @TheAncientOne:

There's no alternative like that because we're talking strictly about shows Funimation already owns. Why would they dub a show and then not release it on home video?

If you're talking about shows waiting to be licensed, then yes, don't license it if you don't have plans to dub it. It's a massive bummer to have shows get locked out of a dub when a company licenses it without the intent of dubbing it. It's stuck without a dub, rather than an unlicensed show still having the possibility of a dub, such as Ben-To

• @TheAncientOne:

I kind of have to agree with Riles. Funi is all about dubbing. Sub-only releases aren't terrible, but Funi doing it is a lame idea. On titles that may never get a dub because of some issue, I can understand, but otherwise I don't see a point in them licensing an anime they have no plans to dub.

• @Forlorn:

Funi is all about dubbing.

No, FUNimation is about making money and if they think they can some more from sub-only releases, more power to them.

Plus, the OniAi release was better and cheaper than others' sub-only releases.

• staying as a dub only company just limits what they can pick up, and increases the amount of shows that will never be licensed unless many years down the road Discotek thinks it would be a good acquisition. I like what they are doing, and I hope it works

• @Getchman:

staying as a dub only company just limits what they can pick up

It absolutely doesn't, unless there's some agreement that they can only license a show IF they never create an English track for it

• sure it does. by avoiding those lesser known shows that have a much smaller audience and thus wouldn't sell enough to make up for the costs of dubbing it, they limit themselves to what they can pick up. and then there are shows with several other seasons that aren't picked up because the first season didn't sell well enough to justify licensing the other seasons and dubbing them only to loose money on it. and then there are sports shows. It would be a dream come true if I could buy all of Major as well as Cross Game, and the currently airing Ace of the Diamond as well But because they don't sell well, that's a whole genre Funimation and every other R1 distributor wont touch, and it annoys me greatly.

• @Getchman:

sure it does. by avoiding those lesser known shows that have a much smaller audience and thus wouldn't sell enough to make up for the costs of dubbing it, they limit themselves to what they can pick up. and then there are shows with several other seasons that aren't picked up because the first season didn't sell well enough to justify licensing the other seasons and dubbing them only to loose money on it. and then there are sports shows. It would be a dream come true if I could buy all of Major as well as Cross Game, and the currently airing Ace of the Diamond as well But because they don't sell well, that's a whole genre Funimation and every other R1 distributor wont touch, and it annoys me greatly.

Why should I care, as a consumer, what they think is or isn't profitable?

• @Riles:

Why should I care, as a consumer, what they think is or isn't profitable?

You don't have to, but that doesn't change the fact that FUNi does. ~_^

• Why should I care, as a consumer, what they think is or isn't profitable?

Your caring wasn't really a point of contention, nor did it really have anything to do with the above quoted post :P

• @TIL:

You don't have to, but that doesn't change the fact that FUNi does. ~_^

That's not reason enough for me to think that it's useless to demand it as a consumer. It shouldn't be my only right to say what I want based within the parameters of what Funimation wants

• @Riles:

That's not reason enough for me to think that it's useless to demand it as a consumer. It shouldn't be my only right to say what I want based within the parameters of what Funimation wants

You can complain all you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the business. Funimation isn't anime charity. You're asking a for-profit company to intentionally damage their bottom-line because you personally don't like subtitles. Sure, that sounds totally reasonable.

• @Riles:

It shouldn't be my only right to say what I want based within the parameters of what Funimation wants

What, you also want the right to have input on Funimation's business decisions? Or the right to control said decisions?

• @Riles:

Wait wait wait, no one is on you about demanding dubs, Getch was simply arguing your above statement:

It absolutely doesn't, unless there's some agreement that they can only license a show IF they never create an English track for it

No one here is attacking your right to demand more dubs, they're attacking your statement as it is quite false.