Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero

• LE SE

Via ANN

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, romance
    Themes: alternate dimension, ecchi, fanservice, harem, inter-dimensional travel, superpowers
    Objectionable content: Intense

SYNOPSIS: After saving a fairy-tale kingdom, Akatsuki returns to the real world with his prize: Miu, the busty daughter of the defeated Demon King. It's one hell of a happy ending until they're forced to enroll at a school for magic users. There, Akatsuki can't keep his hands off the girls, Miu's constantly ballooning measurements make her a walking wardrobe malfunction, and it seems like someone is always plotting against them.

Via TRSI

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Limited Edition

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero DVD/Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb)

Date Available - Dec 17 2013

Contains episodes 1-12.

Special Features: Commentaries for Episodes 2 and 8, Original Videos, Promotional Videos, Textless Opening Song, Textless Closing Song, U.S. Trailer, Trailers.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

• The following trailer is age-gated for mature audiences.
    http://youtu.be/XYJuU0IknyM

Now, meet your English Voice Cast!

AKATSUKI – Eric Vale
    KYOYA – Jerry Jewell
    MIU – Felecia Angelle
    LISTY – Colleen Clinkenbeard
    VALKYRIE – Terri Doty
    GARIUS – Patrick Seitz
    HARUKA – Alexis Tipton
    RYOHEI – Dallas Reid
    MINAMI – Mandy Lane
    CHIKAGE – Ryan Reynolds
    KUZUHA – Monica Rial
    ONIZUKA – Cris George
    TANAKA – Aaron Dismuke
    MOTOHARU – Joel McDonald
    KUBOTA – Christopher R. Sabat
    PHIL – Todd Haberkorn
    LUDIE – Anastasia Muñoz
    ZECHS – Scott Freeman
    VOLK – Charlie Campbell
    BARAM – Brian Mathis
    MIRANDA – Luci Christian

ADR Director – Colleen Clinkenbeard
    Head Writer – John Burgmeier

• Don't forget you can now buy directly from the FUNimation store:
    http://www.funimation.com/shows/aesthetica-of-a-rogue-hero/products/anime

• I have to admit, I'm conflicted here. On the one hand, I don't care for what I've heard about Queen's Blade. On the other, this looks and sounds absolutely hilarious to me. Decisions, decisions…

• I am confused what does Queen's Blade have to do with this anime?

• @Chrisc:

I am confused what does Queen's Blade have to do with this anime?

In the trailer (around 17 seconds in), it mentions that it's 'From the studio behind Queen's Blade'. Both being fan-servicey battle shows from the same studio, I automatically kind of lump them together in my head. But while Queen's Blade has some stuff that I'm not so fond of in it (from what I hear anyway), this one looks more amusing. That's where my comparison comes from.

• LOL Play the Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero Game http://kichiku.tv/game/vol4.html

• I'm so looking forward to the English dub of this show. It will be one of those shows that falls perfectly into the category of shows that I can have playing while I work at home when the dub is out.

• @Gyt:

In the trailer (around 17 seconds in), it mentions that it's 'From the studio behind Queen's Blade'. Both being fan-servicey battle shows from the same studio, I automatically kind of lump them together in my head. But while Queen's Blade has some stuff that I'm not so fond of in it (from what I hear anyway), this one looks more amusing. That's where my comparison comes from.

From the sounds of it you have not seen Queen’s Blade; my advice would be to check out three or four episodes on Crunchyroll to see for yourself if you like the anime.

I warn you that the ecchi level is very high, much more so that Girls Bravo and I understand if you drop it after an episode or two, it’s not for everyone. However, here’s the thing; just as an anime, I thought Queen’s Blade was way better than Girls Bravo; it had better written characters and story, I thought the fan service was more crafty and the overall execution was superior. I also liked the setting; it was a nice break from that Japanese or high school setting; it took place in more of a Lord of the Rings style environment and this allowed for a cool adventure story; it’s one of the reasons I enjoyed Rune Soldier so much. So give it a try, and just so you know, the Rebellion series has much less fan service on it, but like I said, go look into it yourself and see, you have nothing to lose.

As for this Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, I read the synopsis, the dynamic looks a little varied from conventional harem anime and it’s the whole fantasy/action/adventure storytelling I like so it is on my Fate/Zero order.

• I'm hoping that this show will live up to its reputation and be ridiculous and have a competent, Raizer Phoenix-like (Highschool DxD) main character. I'm hoping that the dub will be hilarious enough to patch over any potholes in the show/sub; I'm hoping that The Demon of the Desert (Eric Vale) comes through on this one.

• Completed the season last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching every episode. I will definitely watch the Dubbed version as it becomes available, and I look forward to more…...if and when it becomes available! The level of fanservice was not offensive to me. In fact, it was significantly less than that of Highschool DxD, Maken Ki, and Freezing.

• The dub for this is kinda off. It's another Clink-directed dub where she's brought in a whole host of newer actresses and they sound kinda forced and awkward, and only the veterans sound amazing. It's like Guilty Crown all over again (only the show has been much better so far), though Eric Vale is rockin' this. I''m not sure that this was the show for a bunch of actors on the Funi Farm to make the jump to playing leads on, but maybe it'll turn out for the best as I proceed?

I'm hoping.

• well, they need to get experience somewhere

• @Getchman:

well, they need to get experience somewhere

The dub managed to pull it together later on in the ep. The dub actually made the "infamous" scene in the equipment room borderline hilarious. I was thinking that Ryan Reynolds was giving her character a "yuri" voice, which sounded jarring imo, but it turns out that such a voice is appropriate as her character actually is a predatory, emotionally detached lesbian (about which the dub had some humorous lines).

Still though, I'm not sure about this idea of throwing a bunch of new blood actors into a dub cast with only a few veterans to act as the core (kinda like what Sentai has been doing with Chris Ayres' dubs). It seems to be working here, for now, but I'm not sure that it is that far removed from the Guilty Crown abyss, though the veterans in Aesthetica play larger roles than they did in Guilty Crown.

• Does anybody have any idea when the rest of the dubbed episodes will be released on Funi for Elite members??

• December 3rd

• Currently Amazon lists the LE and the standard edition for the same price ($59.99). What is up with that?

• @sidereal_presence:

Currently Amazon lists the LE and the standard edition for the same price ($59.99). What is up with that?

The MSRP shows a five dollar difference, so for whatever reason, that's just how Amazon's pricing for these releases worked out. Sometimes you'll even see LEs for a lower sale price than the regular edition (I think that was the case when I ordered Lain).

• That Amazon quirk sent me over to RightStuf (such a hassle to buy there) to get a copy. 59.99 for the standard edition (space saving) vs 38.99? I notice that it is rare that Amazon has a worse price than RightStuf for things that I'm interested in buying but I don't think I've ever seen a 20 dollar difference like this before.

I subscribed, I streamed, I bought. I'm trying to remember how I bought anime before the ability to stream it was around lol.

• @sidereal_presence:

That Amazon quirk sent me over to RightStuf (such a hassle to buy there) to get a copy. 59.99 for the standard edition (space saving) vs 38.99? I notice that it is rare that Amazon has a worse price than RightStuf for things that I'm interested in buying but I don't think I've ever seen a 20 dollar difference like this before.

The regular and limited edition are currently both in the weekly specials at Right Stuf.

• @EyeOfPain:

The regular and limited edition are currently both in the weekly specials at Right Stuf.

Well I took advantage of the sale. Didn't even know that it was on one. That's part of why it is such a hassle to deal with them. All sorts of crazy hidden deals, radical price shifts (some items jumped up 20 dollars or more when the "12 days of Christmas" sale ended), sketchy statements about savings, coupons that don't really work, making you buy that club card, sending that catalog that is NOT designed to be seen by non hardcore anime fans…I could go on but I'm really just venting at this point lol. :)

I imagine that the commentary tracks for this show will be hilarious. I remember the Desert Punk commentaries where Eric Vale discussed how booze got him into the mindset of the "demon of the desert". Whether or not it was true, it was still humorous IMO.