Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Movie In The Works!!!

• Link
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117994

I for one am how you say..,LE HYPED!!!

just for the love of zed Haim Saban please keep Micheal Bay as far away from this as possible! He's already buthcered turtles don't give him MMPR too!

But yeah lookin forward to seeing what Saban & Lionsgate come up with!!!

• No, no Power Rangers!

• I hope this movie turns out good. I'm guessing all the monsters and robots will be in CGI.

• Films take time to produce and casting the original rangers won't be easy.

• It'll be interesting how this could turn out. I was 8 years old when the first feature film was released, so you could imagine how a boy at that age would be excited for it. I didn't like it at all then, and I didn't continue watching the show at the time of the film's release either. Not because I was growing out of it, but that the show was becoming watered down as the Japanese footage was all used up and the all the new US footage fights were horribly lame compared to what Japan did. I didn't realize it at that time as I had no idea they were using stock footage, but I knew something was off then.

As for this upcoming film, I don't think I'd be interested unless they were gonna do it with a decent budget, great stunt work and a bit of imagination. It's kind of amazing how that film from 1995 was relatively low budget and wasn't that big of a hit, even though the show was such a huge phenomenon at the time.

• I am so much to say about this reboot that it makes my head hurt so I wont bore anyone with my rants. I run a few ranger pages on tumblr and facebook, next to my love of anime power rangers is a huge passion of mine. I am so nervous that they could potentially mess it up but lionsgate does make some good films. Also now that saban is back in the picture and Disney is out I have a little more faith in it. Just so much!!!! They have huge shoes to fill and I hope that they really plan this out and not just jump in to cash out.

• @TIL:

No, no Power Rangers!

My thoughts exactly. Do we really need another Power Rangers movie? I can maybe understand a made for TV movie, but not a theater release.

• Depending on what and how they do this it could be good. But there is that part of me that say please just let the series die. I loved power rangers when I was younger but it pretty much stopped being good a very long time ago. But for now it a wait and see.

• Good & bad are relative, no franchise deserves to completly "die" take breaks sure, but not die. And IMO I think PR still has potential, Saban is directly involved, so I'm psyched! At the very least should end up better then that horrid TMNT film coming out!

• To me the Power Rangers is like Pokémon. A lot of people probably still watch it, but I feel there's no way a US theater release will make a decent profit.

I haven't watched Power Rangers the Movie in years. I remember it being alright, but I'm sure that would change if I ever decided to watch it again.

• @spiralofdestiny:

My thoughts exactly. Do we really need another Power Rangers movie? I can maybe understand a made for TV movie, but not a theater release.

The timing of this makes a lot of sense. Nostalgia seems to work at a 20 year displacement. The 70s looked back at the 50s (HAPPY DAYS, GREASE), the 80s looked to the 60s (WONDER YEARS), the 90s for the 70s (DAZED AND CONFUSED, THAT 70s SHOW) and the 2000s looked to the 80s (TRANSFORMERS). Now that it's the 2010s, naturally there's going to be a big interest in 90s nostalgia. It's always 20 years later because the children who grew up in a particular decade are then adults, which means they have money to spend. Companies start looking to 20 year old properties that will likely sell on nostalgia. MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS is just the next obvious thing for them to exploit big time. Like TRANSFORMERS, it has the potential to draw in families and adults who want to see their childhood favorites revived on the big screen.

The same thing is currently happening with TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, as they are the first live action films made in over 20 years.

• You could be right gotenx87, but how much nostalgia is there for the Rangers? It was a huge hit when it first came out, but it quickly died down. The first movie was a huge success, but the second movie was a bomb. I assume this is why we never saw anymore movies, despite there always being some form of Power Rangers show on.

Turtles movies on the other hand all made a big profit. Even the 3rd movie, which usually gets mocked, doubled it's budget. That's why I understand them trying to cash in on that.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of everyone who's excited for the movie.

• There's still a dedicated PR fanbase, and there's nostalgia for it like anything else.

To paraphrase an Internet rule….."if it exists there's nostalgia for it"

And it may not be at its peak popularity. But neither was Transformers when it's film came out. And hey, still makes more sense then that JEM movie they're making.

• Will it contain hilarious and unspoken racism?

• @Soundmonkey44:

that JEM movie they're making.

• @spiralofdestiny:

I can maybe understand a made for TV movie, but not a theater release.

This is going to be in theaters? Well then, I may just check it out then. While it doesn't mean it won't be a disaster, it doesn't mean it will be either. I loved Mighty Morphin. As long as they do cast the original rangers, even if it looks poorly done, I'll still probably see it.

• @Soundmonkey44:

And hey, still makes more sense then that JEM movie they're making.

There's going to be a JEM movie? They might as well make a live action Charlie Brown movie. I hope nobody comes on here and says that there really is going to be a live action Charlie Brown because I was just joking.

• This post is deleted!

• We just had two GI Joe movies, four Transformers movies, with upcoming Godzilla and Ninja Turtles reboots. I don't know why the line for Hollywood-style geeky nostalgia property movies for some reason seems to be drawn at Power Rangers.

• @spiralofdestiny:

You could be right gotenx87, but how much nostalgia is there for the Rangers? It was a huge hit when it first came out, but it quickly died down. The first movie was a huge success, but the second movie was a bomb. I assume this is why we never saw anymore movies, despite there always being some form of Power Rangers show on.

Turtles movies on the other hand all made a big profit. Even the 3rd movie, which usually gets mocked, doubled it's budget. That's why I understand them trying to cash in on that.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of everyone who's excited for the movie.

The TV series still continues, but as said before, it's not quite as popular as it was back in the 90s. The only way they can possibly make this film a hit (and I'm assuming they'll actually go this route) is if they go for an adaptation of the 1993 show, bringing back all the characters from that specific show onto the big screen. The costumes will be based on the Sentai Zyuranger but redone for a big budget film. It wouldn't be quite the same if they were to just make a film version of whatever new Rangers show is currently airing.

We'll see…