English Dub Cast

• They were doing so well up until Felecia Angelle was announced to play Emi Yusa. She hasn't really shown the capacity to play a roll like this in the past so this was a disappointing choice. Lately, Funimation shows have either had a weak female lead or a weak male lead. They haven't had many good combinations where both were good. I always say that when you have weak leads it makes for a weak anime. Funimation should start using some of the proven voice actors and actresses that we all love more often instead of constantly experimenting with newer people, especially with an anime as popular as The Devil is a Part-Timer. Time to step up your game Funimation!

• Step up your game…by maintaining the status quo?

• Step up your game by at least using the people who we all love at least a fraction of the time. They keep trying new people, and many of those new people aren't very good. If your going to try out new people, start them on more minor roles and let them get experience for a year or two before giving them bigger roles. What they are doing is equivalent to making a high school graduate an executive at a company with no practical experience. In business, you are taught to build on your strengths, which is the exact opposite of what Funimation has done. They need to stop trying to force things to work and let some of the experienced stars have more starring roles. I'm not saying that they should completely stay with the experienced voice actors, but they should be more involved than they are now, especially on very popular titles like The Devil is a Part Timer. Put the new people on less popular anime to give them a chance to grow.

• @ncoleman12345:

If your going to try out new people, start them on more minor roles and let them get experience for a year or two before giving them bigger roles.

From what I can see, they're doing just that. ~_^
    Ms. Moore's the rookie so far.

• @ncoleman12345:

Step up your game by at least using the people who we all love at least a fraction of the time. They keep trying new people, and many of those new people aren't very good. If your going to try out new people, start them on more minor roles and let them get experience for a year or two before giving them bigger roles. What they are doing is equivalent to making a high school graduate an executive at a company with no practical experience. In business, you are taught to build on your strengths, which is the exact opposite of what Funimation has done. They need to stop trying to force things to work and let some of the experienced stars have more starring roles. I'm not saying that they should completely stay with the experienced voice actors, but they should be more involved than they are now, especially on very popular titles like The Devil is a Part Timer. Put the new people on less popular anime to give them a chance to grow.

Oh I see, so they should get more minor roles first for a year before they get a main role, I guess that makes sense

I suppose it would've been better if she had been given supporting roles for shows from a year ago, such as Mero in Sankarea, or Coco in Fairy Tail, or Raynere from High School DxD. Or at the very least, it would've been nice if they had given her a main role in a lesser show before something like The Devil Is a Part-Timer, like Miu in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, or Asuka in We Without Wings. Or, at the very very least, it would've been nice for her to have voiceover work in non-Funimation projects dating back to 2011

It also would have been nice if Anthony Bowling had a laundry list of supporting roles, or if Aaron Dismuke had been landing main roles for the past five or six years already. If they had cast a name more recognizable than Tia Ballard (which obviously should be the easiest thing in the world), they should have done that

I guess the only person from the five posted so far that might have you upset is Alex Moore, which might be understandable since she doesn't have an MAL profile. But a simple Google search shows you that she's pretty capable, considering she's been in professional entertainment for three years and already has voice acting experience with Funimation

Then again, Moore WAS the very first cast member announced, so I guess it's entirely possible that she was the first name you saw, and then promptly threw your arms up in the air as if to declare you had given up on the dub entirely

• What I said was that Felecia Angelle hasn't shown the capacity to play a roll like this. Her performance as Miu was poor. Believe me, I know what she's been in. I've seen over 1000 anime in my lifetime so I know how things work. I never said anything about Anthony Bowling, Aaron Dismuke, or Tia Ballard, because all three of them are excellent voice actors and I'm a fan of all three. Hence I said, "They were doing so well until Felecia Angelle." You can criticize my opinion if you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a valid opinion. For example, Travis Willingham had several minor roles before he finally got a big role, which allowed him to become more skilled as a voice actor, which you would know if you'd bothered to do a SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH.

In addition, if you'd done a SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH, you would have seen that there are many other voice actors and actresses who also started out that way, genius. The ones you mentioned earlier Anthony Bowling, Aaron Dismuke, and Tia Ballard all started that way. I also never criticized the decision to put Alex Moore on the cast, because he is STARTING ON A MINOR ROLE. That is how it should be done. Don't be so quick to criticize when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    As far as Felecia goes, voice actors need to PROVE THEMSELVES on those minor roles, which in my opinion Felicia hasn't. Her performances have been poor across the board. She just sounds way too unnatural. If you're a fan of hers, that's fine, but I'm definitely not.

• If you're going to criticize the cast choices because you don't like the voice of one character, then say so. There's no reason to hide it behind some half-hearted dismissal of the cast in general due to little name recognition, all because of one one role

Which, sort of makes even less sense, since you seem to have nothing but high praise for three out of the five announced VAs so far

• @ncoleman12345:

also never criticized the decision to put Alex Moore on the cast, because he is STARTING ON A MINOR ROLE.

SHE, by the way. :)
    Suzuno is far from minor. ~_^

• @Riles:

I suppose it would've been better if she had been given supporting roles for shows from a year ago, such as Mero in Sankarea, or Coco in Fairy Tail, or Raynere from High School DxD. Or at the very least, it would've been nice if they had given her a main role in a lesser show before something like The Devil Is a Part-Timer, like Miu in Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, or Asuka in We Without Wings

That last one was definitely the strongest of those listed, excepting Fairy Tail because I haven't seen it. IMO she was the weakest link in Aesthetica, no doubt (it was a very strong dub though). I can kinda see the OP's point on that one. I don't mean to "indict" her as she seems reasonably cool, though.

Funimation has been mixing in a lot of neophytes with the veterans when it comes to major characters in its dubs lately. I'm not sure what is going on with the Date A Live dub. The stronger recent "mixed" dubs, like Aesthetica, are definitely eclipsed by more veteran-laden dubs like Aquarion: EVOL.

• I'm liking the casting choices here. while my enjoyment of a dub doesn't hinge on a random veteran to new person ratio, its always nice to see/hear new people.

• Like I said, I never criticized the whole cast. What I said is that weak leads make a weak anime and Felicia isn't a very strong choice for the lead. You should re-read what I originally wrote, because I was talking about the over all trend that Funimation has been following. If you look at how the Japanese studios cast, many popular voice actors, such a Yuki Kaji, are in featured in many animes, sometimes starring in multiple animes per season and having more minor roles in several others. All I'm saying is that Funimation doesn't need to force themselves to spread the talent so thin. They can follow the Japanese model, which has been extremely successful.

Voice actresses like Alexis Tipton, Caitlin Glass, Brina Palencia, and Laura Bailey would have been better choices, since these four are all in the proper voice range and they all have played more stern characters like Emi in the past. Of course, Laura Bailey is out in L.A. now, which would make it very difficult for her to do this particular role, but the other three still do work for Funimation.

I'm aware of the fact that Suzuno isn't minor, but what I meant is that she is only in around half the episodes, which is a little bit better for a new comer. I meant she, but I mistyped it, LOL. Sorry about the type-o TIL Nobu.

• What I read is that Funimation should start using some of the proven voice actors and actresses that we all love more often instead of constantly experimenting with newer people. This led me to believe that you did not find the majority of the confirmed cast to be VA veterans, to which you disagreed, and instead said that you did not like Felecia because her voice sounded unnatural, something that has zero relevance in terms of her veteran status

If there is a different meaning when saying Funimation should start using some of the proven voice actors and actresses that we all love more often instead of constantly experimenting with newer people, I would like to hear it, because right now it looks like you're complaining about not having enough cake immediately after the cake was delivered to the table

• You're really not getting this kid. If your look at the cast, the Felecia is newer than the other main stars, like Aaron Dismuke and Tia Ballard. She is also the weakest link among the cast so far. My point is that Funimation has been experimenting with her, a newer actress, for a while, and it hasn't panned out. All you have to do is google it and look at all the message boards criticizing her for her performances, especially in Aesthetica. As someone pointed out earlier, the anime's with the veteran voice actors tend to do better in terms of both public opinion and quality, such as Aquarion EVOL. Was Aquarion EVOL the best story, no, but the voice acting was spectacular. You're cake analogy is incorrect. A more precise analogy is that I'm someone who ordered a cake and ended up getting a cake that was burnt to a crisp. As a paying customer, it is my right to complain in such a situation. Instead of finding fault with other people's opinions, why don't you actually state your own opinion of the cast for a change, because this conversation is going no where fast. If you're incapable of having a civilized discussion without attacking other people, that's fine, but then there's no point in continuing this conversation any further.

• @Getchman:

I'm liking the casting choices here. while my enjoyment of a dub doesn't hinge on a random veteran to new person ratio, its always nice to see/hear new people.

It's a conundrum, kinda, IMO. Too many veterans it it "sounds the same". Too few veterans and who knows what might happen with the dub. Even when the "mixture" is close to spot-on, as Aesthetica was IMO, the veterans tend outshine the neophytes, as in Aesthetica. While there are some exceptions-Tyson Rinehart was surprisingly not eclipsed by Tatum in Steins;gate-they seem to be rare IMO.

As far as I've heard, Aesthetica was Angelle's first truly major role. I maintain that she was the weakest in that dub, of the main characters. But from a bunch of minor/bit roles (dxd/sankarea/www; I will admit that the DxD one came of a bit weak IMO) and one major role which was, by nature of the show, constantly juxtaposed with those of veterans like Haberkorn and Vale, I'm not ready to declare her to not be up to snuff.

On a similar subject, what boggles my mind is the casting of the main character of Date A Live in the dub.

• @sidereal_presence:

It's a conundrum, kinda, IMO. Too many veterans it it "sounds the same". Too few veterans and who knows what might happen with the dub. Even when the "mixture" is close to spot-on, as Aesthetica was IMO, the veterans tend outshine the neophytes, as in Aesthetica. While there are some exceptions-Tyson Rinehart was surprisingly not eclipsed by Tatum in Steins;gate-they seem to be rare IMO.

As far as I've heard, Aesthetica was Angelle's first truly major role. I maintain that she was the weakest in that dub, of the main characters. But from a bunch of minor/bit roles (dxd/sankarea/www; I will admit that the DxD one came of a bit weak IMO) and one major role which was, by nature of the show, constantly juxtaposed with those of veterans like Haberkorn and Vale, I'm not ready to declare her to not be up to snuff.

On a similar subject, what boggles my mind is the casting of the main character of Date A Live in the dub.

Excellent points Sidereal, because it really is a conundrum. I also believe that they need to find a right mix of new and old, but they are having a hard time doing that lately with too many new voice actors. In addition, I agree with you that she dragged down the Aesthetica as the weakest link, which as you said makes sense since she isn't any where close to the caliber of the veteran stars in the show.

I also agree that the Date A Live casting could be better, though I do like Tia Ballard and Josh Grelle being in it. The girl they have playing the female lead, Michelle Rojas, is also a newer voice actress. We'll see how she does. The dub clip that they aired didn't look too bad, so maybe it'll be okay. Fingers crossed.

• @ncoleman12345:

My point is that Funimation has been experimenting with her, a newer actress, for a while, and it hasn't panned out.

But you said earlier that you didn't like her unnatural voice. At any rate, I will now assume that this is your true and final point. I don't really know what it means to have experimented with a newer actress for a while, or to experiment with a VA in general - one that has already had several supporting roles and a few leads to boot

@ncoleman12345:

As a paying customer, it is my right to complain in such a situation.

I never implied that it wasn't your right to complain. I implied that your complaint was totally silly and supported with a conflicting personal preference

@ncoleman12345:

Instead of finding fault with other people's opinions, why don't you actually state your own opinion of the cast for a change, because this conversation is going no where fast.

I have no opinion on who they cast because the relevant part of a dub to me is the script, not the voices. If anything, all I think is that it would be nice if there were more variety in voice acting, because it's pretty goofy for Yamada to have the same voice as Wendy to have the same voice as the Going Merry to have the same voice as Misaka to have the same voice as Ikaros

@ncoleman12345:

If you're incapable of having a civilized discussion without attacking other people, that's fine, but then there's no point in continuing this conversation any further.

I was not uncivilized at any point during this argument and I never personally attacked anybody, unless you consider disagreeing with your opinions and poor wording personal. I suppose the most I became uncivilized was when I said to Google a VA that I had assumed you didn't know anything about since you referred to her as a man. You seemed to take great offense to that suggestion, for whatever reason. Maybe Google stole your skateboard

I guess that ended up being a snarky comment with that last sentence. I apologize for the personal attack, and as such I have no choice but to concede complete and utter defeat

• @sidereal_presence:

As far as I've heard, Aesthetica was Angelle's first truly major role. I maintain that she was the weakest in that dub, of the main characters. But from a bunch of minor/bit roles (dxd/sankarea/www; I will admit that the DxD one came of a bit weak IMO) and one major role which was, by nature of the show, constantly juxtaposed with those of veterans like Haberkorn and Vale, I'm not ready to declare her to not be up to snuff

As we feared, she sounds horrible in the trailer. Way to over dramatic and just terrible acting. Sadly, it would seem that she is going to drag another very good anime down. Poor choice by Funimation, but hopefully they will finally learn that she doesn't deserve anything more than a supporting role.

• only if you convince everyone who watches dubs that your opinion is the only correct opinion . good luck

• The trailer sounds fine to me, granted I haven't watched the show yet, but still. It did convince me that I need to move this show up in priority on my watch-list.

• @ncoleman12345:

As we feared, she sounds horrible in the trailer. Way to over dramatic and just terrible acting. Sadly, it would seem that she is going to drag another very good anime down. Poor choice by Funimation, but hopefully they will finally learn that she doesn't deserve anything more than a supporting role.

That trailer didn't fill me with confidence. No one sounded all that great in that trailer IMO but Angelle stood out for the reasons you mentioned. It was only 90 seconds long and contained < 90 seconds worth of dubbed dialogue so I'll hold out hope. I've noticed that the greater I end up considering a Funi show to be, once I've seen it, the worse I thought that the trailer was.

• @sidereal_presence:

That trailer didn't fill me with confidence. No one sounded all that great in that trailer IMO but Angelle stood out for the reasons you mentioned. It was only 90 seconds long and contained < 90 seconds worth of dubbed dialogue so I'll hold out hope. I've noticed that the greater I end up considering a Funi show to be, once I've seen it, the worse I thought that the trailer was

I'll hold out hope, too, but I'm not too optimistic at this point. However, you're right that sometimes the trailers aren't representative of the quality of the show.