2014 Anime Villains Tournament: Championship Finale

• So, it all comes down to this. After nearly 2 months of action, the championship match is finally upon us…

VERSUS

Ladd Russo from the highly acclaimed anime Baccano! battling it out for villainous supremacy against the surprise finalist in Medusa Gorgon from the highly popular (and recently aired on Toonami) series Soul Eater.

It took a long time to get here, so let us look back at how they did.

Ladd Russo's path of destruction:
    1st: Zofis - Zatch Bell/Gash Bell
    2nd: Road Kamelot - D.Gray-man
    3rd: Pierrot le Fou - Cowboy Bebop
    4th: Ulquiorra Cifer - Bleach
    5th: Dio Brando - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    6th: Legato Bluesummers - Trigun
    7th: Gauron - Full Metal Panic

Medusa's path of destruction:
    1st: Dewey Novack - Eureka Seven
    2nd: Sanetoshi Watase - Mawaru Penguindrum
    3rd: Koshaku "Papillon" Chono - Buso Renkin
    4th: Shou Tucker - Fullmetal Alchemist
    5th: Akio Ohtori - Revolutionary Girl Utena
    6th: King Bradley/Wrath - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    7th: Johan Liebert - Monster

Both managed some pretty impressive victories as they made their way through the rounds. But the final battle has yet to be decided, that's where you good people come in. So who is the ultimate evil in 2014? Let's find out!

Oh yeah, since this is the championship match, I am leaving the poll open for 2 days instead of the usual 1.

• Let me tell you all why you should vote for Ladd Russo:

1. Likes to Take the "Hand's On" Approach
    Other villains resort to mind control, manipulation, or lies to get others to carry out their evil deeds for them. Ladd, on the other hand, is not afraid to get his hands dirty. In fact, that's the way he prefers it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ

2. Has More Kills Than Anyone Else in His Show
    While Baccano may have "flashier" villains like Graham Spector, Szilard Quates, and The Rail Tracer, none of them are able to pull off quite the kill count that Ladd does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phMOAoReHt0

3. Is Able to Take Down Opponents More Power Than He Is
    Graham Spector is capable of lifting a car, tossing it into the air, and dismantling it before it hits the ground. Chane Laforet has lightning fast reflexes and is able to deflect a bullet with her knife. And yet, despite having no discernible super powers or abilities, Ladd was able to fight both of them to a standstill without so much as breaking a sweat. The only person in the show who gave him any problems at all was The Rail Tracer himself, but he's kinda broken anyways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNdISWqmPgU

4. He's Evil and He Loves It
    Unlike other villains who are "sympathetic" or "relatable", who were perhaps doing what they do out of some belief that they're helping "the greater good", Ladd has no such feelings about himself. He likes killing people, and he's darn proud of it. He never tries to justify his deeds, nor does he believe he's making the world a better place. He just likes seeing folks bleed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNoITwTJiEM

5. He's Completely Off His Rocker
    Basically, Ladd is The Joker if he lived in the 1930s. He comes up with dumb plans just so he can kill more people, wears white because it "makes the bloodstains look pretty", uses a corpse as a puppet, and dances around in a pool of blood, splashing about like a kid in a rain puddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2MoUqfS7Ao

6. He Shot a Kid in the FACE
    No, really. He did. In the first few moments of the show, in fact. He shoots a little boy, no older than 10 or 11 years old, directly in the face at point blank range with a shotgun. TWICE. Completely obliterating the little tyke's entire head. I mean….. DAMN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfJEGQdbuQ

7. He Lives to Fight Another Day
    Unlike several of the other villains in Baccano, Ladd somehow lucks out and DOESN'T get killed. Sure, he gets thrown off a train, loses his arm, gets arrested, and is locked up in Alcatraz, but it's a much better fate than what happens to Szilard, Dallas, or the Runaratas. Plus if you dive a bit into the light novels, Ladd actually ends up escaping The Rock alongside Isaac and Firo, and gets a brand new arm made out of steel. So in a way, he does all these terrible things, and in the long run, actually GETS AWAY WITH IT.

8. He's Just… So Much Fun
    I mean… Think about it. What other villain in all of anime is quite like Ladd? Sure, there are guys out there who are more devious or evil than he is, but how many of them have Ladd's charisma, charm, and.. dare I say it... likeability? Ladd Russo is capable of making me do the one thing I never thought I'd ever consciously do: Root for the BAD GUY.

So all that having been said, I have but one thing to say.

GO LADD GO!!! ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDMcXRrM2ok

• I'm flipping a coin seven times for this last matchup…...

Tails wins out by a score of 4 to 3, so Medusa gets my vote for the championship, just barely.

• Well, I'm going to always be mesmerized by the character, Medusa. Not only is she capable of pulling off the sane and normal, she can go over-the-top bat-sh** crazy at a moment's notice. Not to mention that Luci Christian brought a level of sinister to the character that weighed itself very high on the scale.

Sorry, Ladd. I'm going for Medusa for this years Anime Villain of the Year Award!

• Even though he's kind of an idiot, I have to vote for one of my original favorites, Ladd bleepin' Russo.

Basically, Ladd is The Joker if he lived in the 1930s.

Fun fact: Ladd's seiyuu is also the Japanese dub for Heath Ledger's Joker.

• Medusa Gorgon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Medusa has my vote

• After sleeping on it, I've decided to vote for Ladd. Both are good villains, but SpacemanHardy has done an excellent job of highlighting what makes Ladd so fun to watch.

• My vote goes to Ladd, with ease. I've already said why many a time, and really…I don't think I could highlight it any better than Spaceman did in his post anyway. Medusa is a fun enough villain as well, but Ladd...Ladd just completely blows her out of the water IMO. GO LADD!

• I probably would've voted for Ladd before, but after learning the nature of Medusa's death in the manga, her final gambit, her final "F*ck you" to Crona, Maka, and the rest of the cast? Not a chance. Even disregarding everything else about her, her death in the manga ALONE justifies my vote for her.

Here's hoping she wins.

• Pulling for medusa ftw baby

• I usually deliberately stay out of these, but Ladd is one of my favorite villains in anything ever, so I couldn't help it. :)

• I should add that regardless of who wins, this will be the first time in tournament history that the champion will be from a FUNimation series.

Which is fitting, considering this is a FUNimation forum after all. :P

• Ladd Russo - Baccano! He's a villain with no superpowers and a complete psychopath.

• @SpacemanHardy:

I should add that regardless of who wins, this will be the first time in tournament history that the champion will be from a FUNimation series. Which is fitting, considering this is a FUNimation forum after all. :P

Actually I don't think that's really all that fitting, I'm for who fits as the best villain period, regardless of which company the series came from.

• ^Well if that were the case, the same villain would just win every time.

• Almost forgot to vote!
    My vote goes to Ladd. His clothing is reason enough.

• Ladd Russo

• I guess it wasn't necessary to set this poll to last for two days, seems like everyone came in and voted on the first. Everyone but me. Probably too little too late, but I'll toss a vote to Medusa.