Ever planning to start/finish the series you started?

• Was wondering if funimation is planning to ever finish the backwards series they started in the bluray dub format or is it another dbz level set to no where?

Example 1 - Own Darker then black season 2, yet theres no season 1!
    Example 2 - You started to release the tenchi movies and ovas, yet no series!
    Example 3 - Own slayers 4, 4-5, and 5. Yet theres nothing on slayers 1, 2, 3.

If theres no plans, is there a way I can send these backward started series back to you guys and get a refund?

1. Rights issues
        1. Masters don't exist, not even in Japan.

• From what I heard, Aniplex is keeping a tight grip on the BD rights to Darker Than Black season one. Apparently they were "very interested" in putting it out themselves a few years ago.

• twas a sad day in March 2005 when AoA was born

• I don't actually have any insider information on this, but looking at the dates on these releases, I would say that it's that we started doing BD releases around the time when BD got popular, and did it moving forward. We would have to go back and make a new release for the properties you're suggesting in order to have them on BD, and that's a big decision, particularly if something is already in the Anime Classics line.

Not saying we wouldn't do it, or that that was the reasoning– just saying that there's a clear date divide on the titles that you mentioned that could definitely potentially be the issue here.

• Nobu -
    1.) Everything is a right issue
    2 & 3.) Even if the masters dont exsist for HD, they could still do a release like yuyu hakushu, on bluray. Which is better then me just owning the back end half.

Spacehardyman - I personally believe those people at AOA are out of thier minds and need to come back to Earth. After seeing what they did to gurren lagann I have no doubt they would be planning another dumb release like that.

Gotchaman - Im 50/50 with you on that. I suppose the only reason why they won me over is because they do pick up some very nice animes (fate/zero - sealing the deal, with the new fate stay night on the way). But I do loth almost all of thier releases, not just because of the crappy packaging they do, but because they are only selling to a ridiculously small part of the market and screwing the majority of the buyers over who cant afford them.

• @cloudkicker:

1.) Everything is a right issue

Oh, good. You understand, then. ~_^

1. & 3) tie into 1) as well, btw.

• CJ - I get and understand what your saying, but whoever was in charge of doing those releases, was a chuckle head. See when I was undecided about purchasing them, I himmed and hauled about picking them up. But I came to the conclusion that you guys were going to do something to finish up the releases in bluray, because who would buy just the cart without horses?
    Maybe its just me, but if funimation has no intention of finishing/starting the anime in the format then they should at least have some sort of announcement. Like HEY, GUYS WE HAVE NO INTENTION OF RELEASING THIS ANIME IN SEASON 1 IN THE BD FORMAT ANYTIME!

Ya know CJ, you guys hold alot of good anime hostage in that anime classic line. Theres a whole lot of items I wouldnt mind picking up in that classic line, but the dvd format is preventing me from giving you guys my money as it has for so long.

• @cloudkicker:

Even if the masters dont exsist for HD, they could still do a release like yuyu hakushu, on bluray.

Those were the HD masters for YYH.

• @cloudkicker:

Maybe its just me,

It is.
    Nobody's promised you a BluRay garden. ~_^

• I think he's in the wrong hobby,you can't expect every anime to be on Blu-Ray.

• Yeah, im well aware that I cant expect every anime to be on bluray. But the street runs 2 ways! If they want me to keep giving them money and doing preorders then they need to start doing the releases right. I always have the option to either stop buying all together and just hit the free streaming or not buy a thing till I see the releases completed and finished. Both those options suck, cause lets face it the [Japanese] never seem to finish much and only hitting free streaming sites gives them no money.

EDIT: Don't use potentially offensive racial slurs. - SH

• @cloudkicker:

I always have the option to either stop buying all together and just hit the free streaming or not buy a thing till I see the releases completed and finished.

Yep, you sure do.
    And nobody can force you to buy something not to your liking. :)

• Your very odd Nobu, you encourage people not to buy!

If the show wasnt to my liking, I wouldnt have bought it. I just want the rest of the show guy!

• @cloudkicker:

Your very odd Nobu, you encourage people not to buy!

Free-market capitalism of a luxury item, dude. ~_^

I buy what I like, want and can afford, the rest can go [redacted].

• @cloudkicker:

cause lets face it the japs…

The WHAT, now? >0<

You watch it with those racial slurs, my friend, or you're gonna get booted like a field goal. -_-

• Not everything can be on Blu-Ray. That is why you just have to deal with it…

• What the heck does "backwards series" mean

You are they one who bought them "backwards"

Blu-ray version didn't exist when the series were originally release so that is not "backwards"

Especially Slayers 1-3 which have DVD collection starting in 2002

• Yeah, didnt know it was a racial slurr, I honestly was just using it as a short term word. I will try to keep it in mind not to do that again.

What Im getting at is they released the whole slayers series on dvd. Yet they only did 4, 4-5, and 5 on bluray. Who are they selling too, that would want just the back end of the series on bluray? They should offer refunds/product exchanges for chit like this, if they arent going to do things right. This is basicly the same thing as they did for the level sets, left the buyers out in the cold. This is the junk that makes people want to turn to illegal streaming sites.

• @cloudkicker:

This is the junk that makes people want to turn to illegal streaming sites.

Yeah you do know even if they went to Illegal streaming site they would still be getting DVD footage of season 1-3 for slayers since no BD masters exist yet. If Japan goes back and create a BD masters for it I am sure That funimation would get that. Also it is not FUNimations fault that season 4 and 5 of slayers have BD master and you bought them. They are not obligated to refund a person money because they bought season 4-5 because it was on BD without doing your research therefore it is your fault for purchasing it. People who want everything on BD tends to do their research first such as Okay season 1 - 3 are dvd only but the have season 4-5 on dvd/BD why? this is when you research before you buy and start asking questions than decided if you want to buy the series or not. FUNimation them self said that compression is much better now then it was in the early 2000's I watch DVD on a 55' smart TV and yes it plays the dvd at 1080p with my ps4 and there is a difference in dvd picture quality from early 2000's to 2013. I watched Slayers 1-3 on that 55 inch and notice every picture grain while watching I was like wow look at that difference and watch Ikki Tousen Xtreme Xecutor (which is dvd only) and there is a big difference in picture quality. your best bet if you want a lot of anime on BD is to import it. Japan fears reverse importation because it eats at their market. If you want to throw your mass amount of money on something else. This is clearly not the hobby for you because true anime fan love anime and will buy it no matter what format also DVD would only be out of extinct only if technology for compression did not improve otherwise everything would have BD masters and yes there are anime still made dvd only in japan which is why sometimes we do not get a BD version.

• @cloudkicker:

Who are they selling too, that would want just the back end of the series on bluray?

I dunno, people who aren't morbidly OCD about having EVERYTHING they own on bluray? :P

Look, Slayers is an older show, and from what I've heard, the first 3 seasons really didn't sell all that well for FUNimation. And as has already been explained, no HD masters exist for the show. So if FUNimation were to put the first three seasons out on bluray, they would have to spend their hard-earned time and money to upscale it themselves, which is a very expensive, time-consuming process that they would never make their money back on and - if their previous attempts at upscales are any measure - they aren't even good at. And even if Japan did create HD masters for Slayers, would it really make sense for FUNi to license and distribute it, considering they didn't make all that much money off of it in the first place?

FUNimation is a business, first and foremost. In order to stay alive, they have to think about what the mass wants, not focus on the OCD-driven eccentricities of a handful of bluray diehards. The fact is they just don't see any sort of market for Slayers 1-3 on bluray, so they keep it on DVD, lose the sales of the bluray-only crowd, and focus on selling it to those who are fine with DVD.

And yeah, if this drives you to illegal streaming sites, guess what? The footage there will also only be in SD. Because like has been mentioned before, NO HD MASTERS EXIST FOR THE FIRST THREE SEASONS.

Okay?

…Okay. :)